Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

bitten by the Barth Bug
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jsloan
posted
Hello,

I have been lurking here and there looking at purchasing my first motorhome. I came across the Barth in my musings and was immediately a fan. I do have a dilemma. I'm looking at a few different years and models ( I missed the 85 in Atlanta, he sold that one) and I can pay cash for a 75 28 footer or go into a debt and get a nicer one, say a 87 model (36 footer). What should I really be looking for? as far as defects to run from? Thanks in advance for your insightful opinions Smiler

Jeff

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Gorman Newman
posted Hide Post
I was bitten too and ended getting a Barth in Wiggins Mississippi........I wouldn't take anything for it now I am enjoying my short bus...(only 23 ft) With only 16,000 miles on it , it is still new to me....These guys and Gals on here are very helpful and I know they are they reason I got mine. I enjoyed hearing about others and their searches.....Enjoy the search and "the choosing of one"

1995 Barth Mobile Office
P-30 454 23'
Data Tag 9505 S0002 23L 01

Posts: 61 | Location: Panama City Beach, Florida | Member Since: 08-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Jeff, you ask a question that is hard to answer in a simple manner. You mention a 75 28 footer that is a front engine gasser probably on a GM chassis and an 87 36 footer that is probably a diesel pusher on a Spartan or Gillig chassis.

These are completely different animals. They are both Barths and share the same quality of coach works. The workmanship and quality in the coach is the same. That is where the similarities end. The diesel pusher is going to cost you substantially more than a front engine gasser of the same year and length. Your buying the ride and durability of the drive train.

If you have specific questions, post them and everyone will be glad to help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Had a 35' Bluebird Wanderlodge before the "Shorty" Barth (23') This one is going to be much more fun.

easier to work on, easier to run around in. May not want to spend a month or two on the road, but it will be fun for more reasonable trips for now because we are still working.

To me a Diesel Pusher is ideal for a couple reasons.

1. Noise is in the back
2. More power
3. Less risk of engine fire with diesel.
4. Better fuel economy.

Downside is

1. Lot's more expense on purchase and maintence.
2. Could be a big risk if you don't know the history of maint.
3. Repair bills, this is one reason I moved away from the Bluebird. The idea of having that Cat 3208t die on me or the Big Alison tranny was scary. 454 chevys are all over the place. Lots of people to work on them if it gets over my head.

Just my 2 cents worth

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
I agree with John C on having a smaller Barth.

We were inches away from buying a 1987 40' bluebird but flinched at the annual maintenance et. al.

We live between 8 - 10 months per year in our 30' Breakaway touring the good ol USA with our three puppies and are very comfortable. Any smaller would be a bit tight.

I am eternally grateful for the somplicity of repairing the Spartan chassis, Cummins diesel and Kohler propane generator. Several times we have been in remote locations, such as the southern tip of Mt. Desert Island in Maine, Grand Baracois, New Brunswick, in the middle of nowhere in West Texas and along HWY 101 on the Oregon coast where we broke down and needed to perform roadside repairs. With very little auto repair experience I was able to replace the thermostat, water pump, alternator, disc brake master cylinder, temperature sensors, water heater hose and perform a partial overhaul of the Kohler Generator. If I can do it ... anybody can fix one of these puppies!

... from Gold Hill, Oregon on the Rogue River.

You think Barths are fun ... try a Jet Boat Ride. (3) modified 454's powering a Hamilton Jet which propels this puppy at about 30 knots on a narrow, twisty river with as little as 7 " of water.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards the older unit so that I can upgrade in the future. Smiler Tell me, do you think I will have a problem towing a jeep wrangler with a 455? One of the reasons I am wanting to do this is that my parents go to Colorado every year and take their Jeep and ride trails. I want to do this with them a few years while they are still able. (they ain't gettin any younger, but then, who is?)

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Carl, my first thought when i saw your picture was.......sardines! ROTFLMAO

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Hi Shadowman,

It looks crowded but there was actually plenty of room. The most fun was when he spun the boat 360 degrees.

Betsy & I like rides of all kinds, fast boats, gliders, trains, horses ... almost anything that moves, especially GO-KARTS. I wish we were going to the DC GTG for the GO-KART grudge match. If you go just watch out for TERE; she shows no mercy.

Carl

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
do you think I will have a problem towing a jeep wrangler with a 455?

Probably not. It depends on several things, though.

1. The weight of the Barth. 30 ft and over gets a little heavy for a heavy toad without engine mods.

2. The steepness, length and ambient heat of the hills.

3. The cooling system.

4. The tolerance of the driver for slower speeds.

5. Mods.

A 454 really wakes up with Thorley headers, Turbo mufflers, custom advance curve, an X-pipe and a Performer or Weiand 8017 intake.

I will add that an X pipe not only makes power, but it allows the use of mufflers that would otherwise be too loud. I had a set of Afterburners on the shelf, and stuck them on my Barth as an experiment. They make my 502 sound like a muscle car. I was ambivalent about the noise, although it didn't really bother me too much. I had been planning an X pipe installation, anyway, (to replace the H pipe) so on it went. I was pleasantly surprised at how much quieter it was. The typical turbo "ring" is almost all gone, and the overall noise is way down. Driving down the road, I hear more of the "rushing" sound from the doghouse than exhaust sound, even with open windows.

The 454 would like a little more cam, but a cam change requires removal of the radiator and water pump, so I wouldn't do a cam change unless the others were going to be removed anyway.

BTW, a high flow water pump helps cooling when towing. If using a standard flow water pump, be sure to get one with a cast impeller. The folded steel impellers are marginal for RV or towing service. I learned that the hard way.

Also, a good fan clutch is important for towing, as is a trans cooler and temp gage.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
I know this sounds crazy...I feel kind of crazy doing this. But, I think I'm going to fly 1000 miles away and attempt to drive this beast home unseen. It seems like a good deal and the seller assures me that all systems are in working order and that it is road ready. At least I will be alone so if I break down I won't have to worry about any family members Smiler

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Not so silly, jsloan,. Many of us have done that. We found our baby in CA on Christmas Day 2006, called the seller and told him it was ours if it was as advertised. A couple of days later my neighbor (who knew more about motorhomes than I did) flew out with me and we drove 1768 miles back to Texas in a day and a half ... without incident.

Since then we have put almost 25,000 miles on it and traveled through 30+ states and four Canadian provinces.

Carl Feren

Go for it!

Carl Feren

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
We drove 600 miles (IL to NY) sight unseen to buy our motorhome and it worked out. HOWEVER the research I had done prior to the purchase was pretty extensive (1-2 years) and I knew what I was looking at when I arrived. To best protect yourself from unseen problems (the seller may not even know), you need to know what to check out when you do arrive. And be prepared to walk away and find a way home if a lot of red flags appear, even after the cost & time of a 1000 mile flight.

In other words don't take this purchase decision lightly. Also know that you will almost always lose money on a motorhome if you decide to sell and "upgrade" later. My opinion is to do the research, save up cash, buy what you want when it comes time, and then concentrate on owning & maintaining that rig rather than thinking about the next one.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
ok..what would a list of "red flags" be?
I am thinking that I can repair/replace anything on the interior. So I am really concentrating on the chassis/drivetrain, leaks, rust, and then the appliances. anything else?

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Hi jsloan,

If you send your email address to me I will send a Motor Home buyers guide to you.

I would post it but it is a PDF file which I cannot upload to the photobucket.

my email is: cferen@ferenandcompany.com

Carl Feren

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Feren:
I would post it but it is a PDF file which I cannot upload to the photobucket.
PDF's can be attached in the...

- Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics forum

- Tech Talk forum

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post