Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Fuler Polishing
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
I have a friend that works for Parker Hannifin who introduced me to the world of fuel polishing for diesel engines. I've done a little more study and am yet not convinced I need to spend the several thousand dollars to buy a new
"packaged system", but I have been pondering whether I might design one myself for much less.

For those of you, like me recently, that never heard the term before, fuel polishing is a pump/filter system which is independent of the regular pumps and filters, whose job is to constantly circulate the diesel to eliminate bacteria growth common in stored diesel fuel.

Apparently bacteria and algea love to set up house in diesel, especially if it has moisture in it. Some articles say it is the root of almost all diesel failures, but I'm not sure that applies to lower use rigs like our Barths.

What I do know is, I for one, don't use my rig enough to keep the fuel fresh, and this is a concern.

Sooooooo, anyone have any thoughts on how an economical system could be built? Solar came to my mind as well as wind power. The idea is to have a low volume pump circulate into what appears to be a standard diesel filtration set up, so the pump is the big deal.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When I got my Barth I looked at two "add on's". One was to get an oil analysis service that promotes early detection of any contamination in the expensive engine. Gulf Coast Filter has a web site that discusses how their service filters can prolong engine life over a million miles. So I thought, OK lets talk to them. They said in a motorcoach the yearly cost was not really worth it and I should just get a mail in service and keep close tabs on any results. Titan Labs on Colorado does ti for under $40. Then I looked for fuel mileage improver's and the Air Dog popped up. It removes all air and water vapor by recirculating fuel through very small micron filters. They say you get protected fuel and no contamination resulting in a constant fuel pressure, better combustion etc. They are not cheap but a number of truck web sites say it is worth it for high use vehicles. For us the $1,000 may not be economical but it appears to be legitimate.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Air Dog

Looked up the Air Dog, looks like it is more of a fancy filter rather than a polisher. I like the idea of the analysis, well worth $40.

I'm hoping Rusty weighs in with some thoughts as he has petro-chemical experience.

Corey

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
It seems strange, to me, that someone has not been able to develope an additive to deal with the bacteria situation.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
It seems strange, to me, that someone has not been able to develope an additive to deal with the bacteria situation.

On our jets, we found Biobor to work really well in jet fuel, which is quite similar to diesel fuel.

It also helped to constantly get rid of water in the tanks and sumps. Water encourages the bad stuff to live in your fuel. Tanks were either gravity sumped manually, or automatically by constantly sucking a little bit from the low spots. Additionally, keeping the tank full when sitting makes a big difference.

My diesel owning friends use Biobor and a water trap. One effective brand is Racor.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

You make a very good point that should be emphasized, fill your tanks before storage! The less than full tanks create cold metal surfaces exposed to moisture laden air, presto - water condensation.

Corey

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bacteria don't grow in the fuel; they survive at the fuel-water interface. As Lee said, there are additives to prevent the growth, far cheaper (and effective) than gadgets - it doesn't take much additive. I know of no modern fuel filter that isn't 100% effective in removing bacteria. The engine wouldn't suffer from ingestion of bacteria (they wouldn't get past the injector nozzles), so longevity wouldn't be compromised.

However, I might consider one of those devices if the vendor would be interested in trading for a bucket of smoke, some radar bug spray, left-handed wrenches, and several hundred yards of shoreline...Big Grin

My fuel filter has a water trap and a "Water Present" warning light on the dash. That's more than enough.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and why nor a little dry gas

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
and why nor a little dry gas

In a diesel? I dunno. Alcohol is a poor lubricant. Injector pumps need lubrication.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno! someone smarter than I (it wouldn't take much) must have thought of this before. I would think the filter(s) would catch the alchy- water or the ratio of water to oil should be enough to lube the pump. just an inquiry.

posted Hide Post
As Bill H noted there are additives you can buy. On the other hand there was just a guy on one of the bus boards that i go to that fired up a bus that had been sitting with a tank of 11 year old fuel. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We got a 1960 GM Bus that sits a lot (and will hopefully move out after we get our Barth) and a big semi truck that sat for 3 years before we put it back in use. We used "Howe's" fuel additives, about $15 a bottle, treats 300 Gal and also winterizes the fuel. Had no problems at all. The bus (Detroit) has near one million miles, the big truck only 475,000 (Cummins). Just read the labels, they treat bacteria. The color of your fuel will be black if it's "growing stuff". Keep the tank full! Condensation is bad.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post