Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

wadyathink
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted
My wife and I have a job oppurtunity in Fresno California which would of course mean moving from Kansas City. Does anyone have any comments on the area that might be insightfull to us? hmm
Thanks in advance

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it were I, I'd carefully consider the state budget fiasco in CA, and who's going to get to pay the eventual bill.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/10
Picture of Mike and Mary
posted Hide Post
At the risk of offending someone out there, I qualify my comments by stating up front that I was born and raised in the Bay Area (SF) and worked out of Sacramento (state capital) for many years. I covered the central valley, including Fresno, as a part of my territory. Regardless of the problems that the state is experiencing at present, the central valley has always had a rather uneven economic base. My caution would be that you be very careful and selective of where you live in the city. There are some VERY ROUGH areas and a high rate of gang activity in general. Just like Kansas City, there are areas everyone knows to avoid and where they're located. Just one man's opinion. Go in with your eyes wide open.

Posts: 13 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 11-22-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would suggest Googling as much as you can about Fresno, and reading the Fresno Bee's website daily. PM Herb Johns. He lives in Sanger, which is a nice little town nearby. He should be able to tell you a lot.

I can tell you that you will have lots of places to go RVing in central CA. Ocean, Sierras, delta, etc. You might be out Barthing every weekend. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
As Bill mentioned, I live in Sanger which is about 15 miles SE of Fresno. Being born and raised in Minnesota, Fresno was a new experience when I came here to do grad work in 1964. The fact I'm still here 45 years later says something about the area (or me).
This is primarily an agricultural area, argue ably the most productive area in the world. I've lived in Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, North Dakota, and Wisconsin and each has good and bad points. The San Joaquin Valley is California's step child to much of the more urbane citizens of the state. And that's fine with us.
Would be more than happy to answer any questions or give you more information. The Valley's a good place to live.
Contact info: herbmaryalice@aol.com

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your informative replies. They all are very much in line with my research. Regarless of our decision, the Barth is going with us. Herb,that is a nice coach. Thumbs Up

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cabinetguy:
My wife and I have a job oppurtunity in Fresno California which would of course mean moving from Kansas City. Does anyone have any comments on the area that might be insightfull to us? hmm
Thanks in advance

Here is an article in the El Lay Times about the Fresno area's economic and water problems.

http://www.latimes.com/news/op...ul19,0,4411825.story

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I spent some time in Fresno working in a pretty cushy job two different times. I was offered full time with the client were I willing to stay there. The positives, it is a good place to use as a base for touristing, the bad, it is Fresno. The way you get people to work in places like Fresno, CA and Clinton, Iowa is to hire locals. I liked the people in both places but there are nice people all over the world. Find a nice place to live and meet those nice people.
FWIW

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post