Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lubricants in other vehicles
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
I have a 1999 Ford Ranger. The automatic transmission will not shift into drive when warm unless you put it into one or two first after using reverse. The transmission shops all want to rebuild it. I have had the transmission fluid changed by the local shop. When warm if you just go to drive, it will jerk into gear, similar to sidestepping a clutch. When it is cold it will ease its way in to drive fresh our of the garage from reverse, and you will feel it take a hold. It does not slip when driving, shifts fine, and downshifts when you need it to downshift with throttle response.
On other forums it was suggested to change a gasket inside the valve body. I had the valve body gasket changed. Could this be a fluid problem cured by some mouse milk additive or a different fluid. It has 150,000 miles on it.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm not a auto tranny expert, but your issue sounds like an issue with the valves; they can usually be refurbished for far less than an overhaul including the clutches.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sign near the drive indicator says

SHIFT TO 1 BEFORE SHIFTING INTO DRIVE

This has been the best solution for about 3 years now. It is much cheaper than paying REDLICH TRANSMISSIONS $3500 for fixing something that is not broken.
Thanks Rusty for your input.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Rusty, This may have come up before . Would it be a good idea to use synthetic trans fluid in 1970's gm auto trans?

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Should be OK - check the backward compatibility claim for "Type A"(which became Dexron). I'd avoid the Dexron/Mercon combo products.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd avoid the Dexron/Mercon combo

Rusty could you please elaborate on your suggestion?

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It all relates to "slip-stick differential"(SSD). Type A (GM) had a smooth SSD, that locked up gradually. Type F (Ford) had a an SSD that locked up quickly.

SSD is a measure of how the friction behaves as two sliding surfaces slow to static. GM SSD has less friction as static occurred, so static engagement was smooth. Type F SSD friction increased as static approached, so the lockup was firm.

Over the years, Dexron and Mercon became close in specs.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
It all relates to "slip-stick differential"(SSD). Type A (GM) had a smooth SSD, that locked up gradually. Type F (Ford) had a an SSD that locked up quickly.

SSD is a measure of how the friction behaves as two sliding surfaces slow to static. GM SSD has less friction as static occurred, so static engagement was smooth. Type F SSD friction increased as static approached, so the lockup was firm.

Over the years, Dexron and Mercon became close in specs.

Rusty, Do you think the oil combination would be any contributing factor to my sticking valve. I do not know what was put in the Ranger transmission but, I will ask the mechanic the next time I get in for service.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The fluid formulation would have little to do with the sticky valve, although it might be some sludge or varnish, not specific to the blend.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke