Forums    General Discussions    Are you considering selling?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Are you considering selling?
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
What have I done?! head bang
Oh, wait! Maybe I just fix it all at the same time by doing LS swap. Thumbs Up

Posts: 37 | Location: Wisconsin | Member Since: 03-03-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Speaking as an ex-owner of 2 454 Barth 25 five footers. Found the 454 to be a sturdy engine, in the smaller units there is adequate power, although a bit of a gas guzzler, the best was about 8 mpg.

Thought about a LS swap out, or adding a TBI (Throttle Body Injection) to the 454, a Holley Stealth System complete would be about $1500, they make one for a Rochester Quadra jet replacement, should improve the gas mileage a bit. Gets rid of all the carburetor quirks. Will probably increase the engine life too! About a weekends worth of work to install.

TBI would leave time and money to upgrade the interior, ride and being almost 35 years old, pretty sure some of the creature comfort systems (furnace, A/C, water system and heater, ECT) will need some attention.

Enjoy, you have made a great choice.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
What have I done?!

One of the best things you can do!

You have a rig, even 35 years after its manufacture, is readily maintainable, there are parts available, there is advice available, and repairs can be done by a mechanically inclined owner.

You are gonna love it!!!!!!
Smiler Smiler

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks for encouragement.

Posts: 37 | Location: Wisconsin | Member Since: 03-03-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Matt, while I assess the mechanical situation, the Boss - my wife, is leading "house" reno. What did you do? I think that we will have to rip all interior out and build it all new from the ground up. Is that what you've done?

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P&J:
What did you do?

There are some pictures from 2009 visible in this message string: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/4471045991/p/4

On the inside:
- replaced the "police dog" windows with "family vacation" windows
- built a custom dashboard
- removed a non-functional little refrigerator, and in it's place, installed a stove/oven
- ran gas lines for that
- built a wall, installed a big refrigerator next to it
- removed police desks, installed bunks
- above the front seats, I have a bed frame and mattress positioned out of the way, with extra "security" straps to prevent it from falling on me when I drive. It can be lowered when I park.
- removed the floor covering, installed underlayment and 12x12 floor tiles.
- installed a dinette
- installed a shower and a waste water tank
- new counter surface, new faucet

The 2008 era had economic troubles so I was able to find new windows from Hehr on ebay. I was also able to find "deals" on the interior parts from people parting out RVs and from a retail liquidation.

I kept the bathroom as it was, and the kitchen as it was.

I have dreams of rehabbing the inside. But right now there are projects with my sons, an IROC, a Z4, and a Coronet that are in the mix. ROTFLMAO

I see rust on the front dash, and that is coming from the framing around the top of the front windshield glass. I am going to have to open that up and see what that situation is.

And with you on this site now, your success and motivation will inspire me!

Happy Motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flying Barth!
I am amazed how well that thing is build.

posted Hide Post
Getting ready to rebuilt sofa bed. What a waste of space with that eclectic stuff put right in the middle!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Looks like someone is having fun Mechanic

Happy Remodeling Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post