Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New to Barth and Barthmobile.com
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Klareellis
posted
Hello all. Just bought a 1982/83 Barth Regency. 8.2 Detroit. Not sure what transmission it has. I went and checked it out today. Has many upgrades but still needs work. Propane tank is leaking. Has pretty new tires. Runs well. I pick it up this wednesday. I was looking at a Wanderlodge but the Barth was more in my price range. I already have a 1988 EMC but it is not a nice coach. The Barth is awesome in my oppinion. I do have a couple of questions. What air pressure should the air pressure gauge indicate for the air brakes? I have a CDL and if I recall, 120 psi is normal. The Barth isnt getting above 70. Is that normal? The other question, what exactly is an MCC chassis?

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 11-25-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The chassis that you have is a RPI(Regency Products Industries). This chassis has both A arm front and halve shaft rear independent suspension. This vintage 8.2 will not take any overheating at all. Make sure belts and cooling system is in good shape. Many 8.2's have become boat anchors because of getting hot. The MCC built fiberglass body was finished off by Barth. The bad, they did not make very many. Brakes are not the greatest, parts are almost nonexistence. The good. owners say it drives and handles great and get good fuel mileage. I believe the tranny is a 842- 4 speed Allison.
Search this sight. you will find lots of info. Again do not overheat!!!

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klareellis:
Hello all. Just bought a 1982/83 Barth Regency. 8.2 Detroit. Not sure what transmission it has. I went and checked it out today. Has many upgrades but still needs work. Propane tank is leaking. Has pretty new tires. Runs well. I pick it up this wednesday. I was looking at a Wanderlodge but the Barth was more in my price range. I already have a 1988 EMC but it is not a nice coach. The Barth is awesome in my oppinion. I do have a couple of questions. What air pressure should the air pressure gauge indicate for the air brakes? I have a CDL and if I recall, 120 psi is normal. The Barth isnt getting above 70. Is that normal? The other question, what exactly is an MCC chassis?

1982 barth regency

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 11-25-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen a Barth Regency with a driver side door?

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Once again we see evidence of the variation among Barth coaches. Driver door is indeed rare. hmm

Early 80's Barth wanted to get into diesel coaches. MCC was having problems and Barth bought their assets. Their existing fiberglass coaches were finished and sold as "MCC by Barth" coaches, 81 and 82 I believe. The 83 on aluminum coaches built by Barth as Regencies used the MCC chassis and were sold as Regency Products (RPI).

The MCC chassis had independent torsion bar suspension. The ride was reputed to be one of the best. The front disc brakes were considered somewhat undersized but were adequate. Sadly, the MCC front end components and brake discs are no longer widely available, if at all.

The engine used in this chassis was the Detroit Diesel 4 stroke V8 8.2 liter. Considering GM built diesels forever, their recent versions like the Olds/Cad auto V8 and the 8.2 seemed to be designed on the fly. The early 8.2s had smaller head bolts and were extremely sensitive to overheating. Head gasket leaks were common. The engine does not have sleeved cylinders and is not truly industrial grade. Later versions and rebuilt 8.2 engines had the larger head bolts and were more durable. Still VERY sensitive to overheating.

That being said, with careful attention to engine temp, these coaches had excellent ride and handling, high build quality and very nice features.

Be sure to check brakes and suspension. Parts are VERY rare. Good luck with this coach. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Welcome to our community Klareellis Salute
You are about to get hooked into the wonderful world of Barth. Look around behind the Driver curtain for a tag similar to:

this Data Tag. We can tell you a little more from the Data Tag.
As far as your air pressure, my Barth air pressure runs from 90 to 130 pounds. Your Commercial Drivers information is correct at 120 pounds. There is usually and a warning light and a buzzer below 90 pounds.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. I will definitely check the rig over before bringing it home. I noticed the radiator fins were gunked up too.

posted Hide Post
In any event please get the data tag. I am thinking with the driver door it was a chauffer driven vehicle or a Barth commercial vehicle converted to a motor home. The data tag is usually behind the driver curtain. With the rare driver door you may need to look closely for the data tag. Good luck.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
Will do Kevin. Ill be back out there on wednesday going ove the systems to ensure a safe trip. Ill post the tag info then.

posted Hide Post
You can send me a text message with the data tag. I sent you a private message with my phone number. There is a checklist on this page. If my link is not correct it is in the forum Barth Coaches For Sale. The first topic has a buyers check list.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Nice to have another member from Iowa with a Barth on the site again, what part of the state are you from? Not a good time to travel though the QC right now we just experienced 10 to 16 inches of snow. Yuk!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
Hello Duane88. I live in Dunlap. Its an hour east of omaha ne.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
We are pretty far apart, but I do like to get out to Rathbun for some fishing on occasion. Next spring we might have a GTG in south central Minnesnowta perhaps you will be able to join us, Kevin has titled it Snotan!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
We are pretty far apart, but I do like to get out to Rathbun for some fishing on occasion. Next spring we might have a GTG in south central Minnesnowta perhaps you will be able to join us, Kevin has titled it Snotan!

I know Kenny and Kazy like Camp Maiden Rock. It is sure convenient for us. Duane seemed I hardly talked to you last time. Never enough time. Lots of folks to talk to. We have a blast. We are hoping to see you all again. Wish we could make the December GTG.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana very true, never enough time. I did love your cooking though.

My Grandson, wants to go again this spring, I told him only if Steve agrees to keep his pants on.. Deadhorse

That was a great GTG, folks came from all over the east and Midwest.

P30 chassis
350 engine