Forums    General Discussions    Anyone Recognize This?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Anyone Recognize This?
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
I fold. Who's Franz von Werra?

Oh, just another famous pilot who had a pet lion for publicity purposes.

I just thought one good thread drift deserved another. Smiler

It is a family legend, albeit of doubtful provenance, that he was shot down over the North Sea by one of my father's cousins, Zdzisław H, RAF Squadron 303, the "Kosciusco Squadron" while he was squadron commander. He was reluctant to claim official credit for the kill, as it was not witnessed. He was noted for his solitary missions, and was KIA soon after. The official German version is that von Werra disappeared over the North Sea. Supposedly, the claim gained some strength after the war when German records show that von Werra disappeared the same day my father's cousin told the story to his mates.

Either way, they both were aces of some consequence. von Werra was noteworthy for his escapes from British and Canadian prison camps prior to his return to the Fatherland by way of Mexico and South America. I believe there was a movie.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I recall an interesting radio interview with Zdzisław. His first name is pronounced “Gee-shew” as I recall.

The interview was recapping a dog fight with Zdzsilaw H painting a verbal picture, “There was a faulker in front of me a faulker below and to more faulkers off to the right.”

At this point the radio announcer nervously and quickly interrupted to tell the listeners that the Faulker is a well known German aircraft.

Zdzislaw responded, “Sure, but these faulkers they was flying Messerschmitts.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I shoulda stayed in bed this morning.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
I recall an interesting radio interview Zdzisław H. His first name is pronounced “Gee-shew” as I recall.

The interview was recapping a dog fight with Zdzsilaw H painting a verbal picture, “There was a faulker in front of me a faulker below and to more faulkers off to the right.”

At this point the radio announcer nervously and quickly interrupted to tell the listeners that the Faulker is a well known German aircraft.

Zdzislaw responded, “Sure, but these faulkers they was flying Messerschmitts.

Timothy

Tim, that story goes back to WW I, when Zdzisław was just a lad, and the pilot interviewed was surrounded by Fokkers.

Interestingly enough, I attended a one-month Fokker class that was taught by both a Dutchman and an American. The Dutchman pronounced it Fock-er and the American insisted on Foke-er. Some snickered on hearing the Dutchman's pronunciation, and others rolled their eyes at the American's Bowdlerization of the Dutch name.

There was a Focke-Wulf 190 in WWII, which could be worked into the joke.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
The interview was recapping a dog fight with Zyzsilaw H painting a verbal picture, “There was a faulker in front of me a faulker below and to more faulkers off to the right.”
Smiler Smiler Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
There was a Focke-Wulf 190 in WWII, which could be worked into the joke.
I love this site. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I woulda pegged that car as the Denbeigh Super Chauvinist Mk IV... Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I woulda pegged that car as the Denbeigh Super Chauvinist Mk IV... Big Grin

The Denbeigh SC has never been photographed. It was surrounded by such a supernatural aura of mechanical malfeasance that no camera ever functioned anywhere near it. Telephoto lenses only served to concentrate the force, often doing permanent damage to the camera.

The Denbeigh only existed in drawings, which did not do justice to the car, almost making it appear cartoon-like.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bummer. And I've been on the waiting list since '68...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
This is remarkable, how do you guys know all this sh*t (stuff). I am almost 59 years old and I haven't gained all this knowledge... but I can play an F6/9 chord.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
This is remarkable, how do you guys know all this sh*t (stuff). I am almost 59 years old and I haven't gained all this knowledge... but I can play an F6/9 chord.

Comfort youself in the knowledge that on Karaoke night at the Elks, I get free drinks all night for NOT singing. That makes my singing career more remunerative than my guitar career.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
ancient thread but here's the answer..

Topper Car ?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 622 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post