Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Considering a 1990 Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
New here but considering a 1990 model Barth. Not sure what to do with the outside paint however, interior seems good and she is a gas burner. What else should I look for prior to purchase? Also, not really sure what model this one is, and I do not have a vin number yet.

Posts: 7 | Location: Jackson Idaho | Member Since: 02-26-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the land of Barth coaches!
The gassers of that time were Regal models. They were 460 Ford/Oshkosh or 454GM. With the tag axle yours is almost certainly a GM chassis.

I had and 86 Regal 33 ft with a tag axle. GM454 V8. The tag axle really improves ride and handling. I bought it in 2011 drove it about 40,000 miles. I had good times with it and I only sold it last summer because I had upgraded to a 37ft Barth Monarch diesel pusher.

If you search this site I posted many projects on my Regal. Brakes, suspension, engine, trans, accessories, appliances. You may find them useful. There is also a GM chassis service manual I downloaded here. Most of the 86 stuff will still apply to the 90.

Look for the Barth Data Tag, usually on the outside wall above the driver window. It will indicate Barth production info as well as GM VIN. Good luck.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Look for the Barth Data Tag, usually on the outside wall above the driver window. It will indicate Barth production info as well as GM VIN. Good luck.

DITTO, Thank you Steve for asking. Salute I get tired of asking for Data Tags. Deadhorse

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would the same GM service manual apply to a 1980 Regal? I am meeting the current owner this weekend. Is there anything I should look at prior to purchase body wise? Thanks for your advice.

Posts: 7 | Location: Jackson Idaho | Member Since: 02-26-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Most will apply. There is a 79-86 manual here:

http://barthmobile.com/groupee...ide_PG_1979-1986.pdf

good luck Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am mostly concerned about water intrusion. Also, have you heard of someone placing vinyl decals over the semi deteriorated clear coat finish? The local body shop is very expensive to re paint the exterior.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Chassis link. The interior pictures seem to indicate a well taken care of interior. This unit has an extra rear axle. I did not see anything in the GM chassis manual concerning this. Is this a Barth add on? If not is there a supplement to the GM manual concerning this? Again, Thanks for your help.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The extra axle (so called tag axle) was a Barth add on. For the extended chassis, they added an extra frame rail that extended out the rear and contracted a local company to attach the additional axle.

The axle used was a Neway TA-5. Unfortunately there is almost no info available for it. I had one on my 33.

This much I know: It was rated 5000 lbs, had drum brakes and air suspension. The suspension was adjustable for pressure. Between the extra frame rail for stiffness and the adjustable axle for ride height it gave a the coach much better ride and handling.

It had a separate master cylinder and a small compressor for the air bags. The brakes were Dexter drums and were the same as the Ford F350 1 ton van rear brakes.

Here is info for the TA-3 3000 lb axle.
http://truckroadservice.com/ba...aintenance_Files.pdf
TA-5 is similar.
We have part numbers for TA-5 shocks and air bags if needed.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the interior. Once again, I just want to make sure I have looked things over prior to my purchase. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Interior of My future Barth

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. I like the floorplan with the dinette. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Ok you were inside the coach, Did you find the data tag behind the driver curtain? He can identify this Barth with the data tag. Maybe it is listed in our data tag list.
If it is not listed in the data tag list we will create a new folder for this Barth when we see the data tag.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay...Finally bought this unit and the numbers (off the data tag are as follows;

8906-3617-33C-C1

Top date-6-5-89

Chevy Chassis 454 CID 4BBL
VIN; 1GBKP37W2K3305427
With Tag Axle

Bottom date 09-88

Lots of documentation including the Certificate of Origin

Did not realize until after buying it had a bad engine. Got a new engine with a Holley 750 CFM carb and a motorhome engine camshaft. Having problems with fitting the air cleaner on the new carburetor. Would you recommend a KNN type of cold air intake or something else? Thanks, Kenneth

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
I replaced my engine & had the same problem. I cut the height of the air cleaner housing down ( on top ). Then replaced the original air cleaner with a shorter one. i think the original air cleaner was 6 inches tall & new one was about 3 inches. worked great for clearing the doghouse .

I believe SteveVW did the same on his old barth after changing the engine too . Which gave me this idea.

Unless your not talking about the height problem.

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Here is what I did:

shorter air filter

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...523905387#9523905387

cold air intake (aviation SCAT hose)

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...923972887#6923972887

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this is the correct format...However, I was wondering about newer headlights for my Barth. Any suggestions? Also, I tried to add some information to the Barth Database is that possible?