Forums    General Discussions    My Barth is a "what" ? !
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My Barth is a "what" ? !
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
For reasons only known to GM, the 6.2/6.5L, and I believe, the 8.2L, were called "Detroit Diesel" engines, even though they shared nothing with the -53, -71, or -92s.....

Marketing! Pure and simple

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I suspected that, but do not understand the 40k price increase.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
For reasons only known to GM, the 6.2/6.5L, and I believe, the 8.2L, were called "Detroit Diesel" engines, even though they shared nothing with the -53, -71, or -92s.....

Marketing! Pure and simple

Yeah, I remember well the heat-related problems GM had with the 6-71s rated at 318 HP in the early 70s. The solution was to market it as "The Cool One", without doing anything to the system...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of birddog
posted Hide Post
This is all very interesting. I have an 85 Barth with corion counter tops and a tag axle, I beleive it is a 33 footer with the 454 engine (that never overheats and I live in the desert of Arizona) so what model is mine the Royal or the Regal? Because I have corion does that make it an SE?
Still learning
Rick

Posts: 29 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Member Since: 03-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I would say you definely have an SE. The one time that I talked with the ex-VP of sales for Barth he told me they only made aroun 5 of the Royales with the Corian etc. But he also said that they had the Regency roof line which would be a 12 inch radius rather than a 6 in Radius.

See the edge of this Regency's roof line

Now see the roof line on my Regal, Can you see the difference? Which does your coach look like?

[IMG]

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The build tag inside of my coach says
9102 3709 33S-12

The 33S stands for 33' Single axle.

Birddog Does yours say 33T?

The 9102 could denote 1991 start/built/finished in (02)February. But I have no way to verify this.

When I got my Barth I redid the interior. Everything from the wooden door trim to the water tank had the numbers 3709 printed on it. I suspect to track the part inside of the plant and it could be the 3709th Motoring Barth produced.

I have a 120" (10") overhang from the center of the rear wheels to the back bumper so that might be what the -12 is. My wheel base is 233" (19'5") This is a commercial Barth so the -12 could be the floorplan denoting commercial. I really have no idea what the -12 is.

I posted this observation earlier and then deleted it but thought this might be a good place to reintroduce it. Of all the Barth's that I have seen (in person & on the web) I noticed that the commercial units (police, bookmobile, medical labs etc...) have a straight back to them.

If you look at a regular Barth for the motoring public the rear line from back bumper on up it angles in. The ladder follows this angle and has a bend in it where it follows the body line.

The commercial units have a straight, no angle look to them. A ladder mounted to these units are straight up. I saw it again today when looking at that Texas auction. Yes, I noticed the rear door.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of birddog
posted Hide Post
Dave, I would say I have the 12" roof line. It looks like the top picture. As I have emailed you, I can't find the vin tag on my coach, but I have found all the paper work that goes with the coach. It has everything even scamatics, all the warrantys for the microwave, a/c,heater. converter, and generator. It even has the GM delivery slip to Barth. Also has the delivery slip from Barth to the dealer here in Phoenix. Cool stuff. Still going over it and trying to make sence of some of it.
Rick

Posts: 29 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Member Since: 03-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog:
I can't find the vin tag on my coach...

Is it in the cabinet over the windshield?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of birddog
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, I will check when I get home, but I think I would have seen it there already.
Rick

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My VIN plate is on the wall above the driver's side window, well-hidden by the curtain track. The number is also on the GM delivery slip to Barth, and on a plastic tape label attached to the front of the loose-leaf binder that holds my manuals.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of birddog
posted Hide Post
I still havn't found the vin plate, but the binder has the coach # 9503/3203/32TFP2. I also see the #B143 in several places and coach #3203. What do these numbers tell me about my coach?
Also thank all of you for your expertise infomation. I'm learning a lot about my Barth.
Rick

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still havn't found the vin plate, but the binder has the coach # 9503/3203/32TFP2. I also see the #B143 in several places and coach #3203.
Rick

9503: 1995 March - 9503: are you sure it doesn't say 8503? I'm guessing, don't know for sure. Try to find that metal tag to make sure.
32T: 32 foot long Tag Axle - The only one I know for sure!
FP2: Floor Plan #2 Purely a guess

3203 The build number. This would place your coach and mine 506 units apart. My coach is newer @ a 91 so this makes sense my number is higher @ 3709

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of birddog
posted Hide Post
Your right Bill, it is an 8 and not a 9. I was reading the old dyno label on the front cover of the binder and some of the numbers are wore out. Any idea what the B143 is? Thanks for the info.
Rick

Picture of birddog
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I just went to "The Story" and checked out your rig. Nice work! I also see your a Nascar fan. I bought my coach mostly for the Phoenix, Vegas,and Texas races. My brother and I go every year. We're missing Vegas this year for his health reasons. But we'll be at Phx. Your more than welcome to join us.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any idea what the B143 is? Thanks for the info.
Rick

Go out and measure your wheelbase. Is it 12 foot from center of wheel to center of front drive wheel. That sounds kind of small so I would suspect not. Is it the overhang? the distance from the center of the rear wheels to the back of the coach... I'm just guessing here.

Were is that B143 located?

quote:
Bill,
I just went to "The Story" and checked out your rig. Nice work!

...Your more than welcome to join us.

Thank you. Lots of work.

I call shotgun... The offer to hang with you, drink your beers, eat your food and crash in your Barth for 5 days while hanging out in the infield sound too good to be true. I must pinch myself, this has to be a dream.

So, do I fit in to your group? At 39 will I be the oldest? I DON'T WANT TO BE THE ADULT!

There must be a catch, do I have to work on your coach? Big Grin

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis