Forums    General Discussions    My Barth is a "what" ? !
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My Barth is a "what" ? !
 Login now/Join our community

posted
You are all Barth savvy, this may seem funny to you. Honestly, how can I tell which is a Breakaway, Monarch, Regency, or Regal. We own a 1977 29' Barth.

Posts: 10 | Location: Indiana, USA | Member Since: 02-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you send photos to Dave Bowers, he can tell you instantly what you'd like to know. In short, if it's a gaso puller, it's a Regal. It couldn't be a Breakaway, Regency, or Monarch, because they didn't emerge until much later, and all are diesels.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rusty. Yes, it's a gas 454. I appreciate your input.
As soon as I get pics, this cutie will be for sale. Tried to sell it here on Barthmobile last year, with no luck. Guess it was priced too high then. This time it will be around $6500.

Posts: 10 | Location: Indiana, USA | Member Since: 02-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It may not have been priced too high - what seems to work here is lotsa info. Photos, and details on mileage and a complete list of equipment. Since all the Barths seem to be nearly custom-made, there's no set standard for models.

Maintenance history is also quite important.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the Regal SE the precursor to the Breakaway? I've seen SE models here and I'm trying to get an idea of what their model line was in the 80s. I know the Regency was at the top - what's the difference?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devolo:
Was the Regal SE the precursor to the Breakaway? I've seen SE models here and I'm trying to get an idea of what their model line was in the 80s. I know the Regency was at the top - what's the difference?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. My impression (yielding to Hizzoner Dave Bowers) is that the Regals were a continuous line of front-engine gaso coaches. Diesel pushers arose from who-knows, but included the Regencies, Monarchs, Breakaways, and maybe some others. From what I can gather, the Regals stayed purely in the gaso-puller realm, while the diesel-pushers split among the ones mentioned above.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"....if it's a gaso puller, it's a Regal"......

Not exactly Rusty....If it's "vintage" Barth, from the pre-Regal, round-headlight era, it's just simply a Barth, with the length being the model, i.e.: a 24, 27, 30, etc. I think there's quite a few of us old timers out here enjoying machines that were the precursor to the hairy-chested, DP age Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I have a Regal SE, front engine, gas. The only difference I can see (at least in photos) with the plain Regal is I've got Corian counter tops instead of Formica.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Attached is the brochure for the entire 1979 product line and you can see the only designation is the 34T which was for the tag axle. I have not seen a Regal advertized until late 1984, really 1985.

1979_Barth_Classic_Full_Brochure.pdf

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Certainly a Barth is what Barth said it was. Until we see more brochures, we can use the NADA guides as guessing material.

I don't know how accurate NADA is, but my NADA jan-Apr 1985 book lists Regals starting 1984 and Regencies starting 1983. The 82 pusher was listed as a MCC by Barth. NADA is not the final authority, however, as they don't recognize the existence of a 30' tag. They list the Royale, an up market tag gasser, for 84 and 85 only.

I have been under the impression that the Regal SE was a tag chassis. In 87 NADA lists the SEs as being tags, but not for other years.

My may-aug 89 Kelley Blue Book shows Regencies starting in 84 and Regals starting in 86, with SEs starting in 86. They also show an 86 "RGL Se Det Dsl", as well as Regencies with both Det and Cat. For 87 they show 32 abd 34 RGL Det Dsl. At $40,000 more than a Regal SE. Anyone know what those engines were?

I will send scans of these on request. Perhaps we should pool our assets and Dave can put them on the latest iteration of the Barth CD.

But, the defining statement is Barth would, and did, build almost anything. Diesel pullers and pushers, gas pullers and pushers, small deisel coaches on an Iveco chassis, Pierce chassis pullers, who knows what else?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any disadvantages with the tag axle, besides more tires, etc? Doesn't seem like tag axles are all that common, in any line for any manufacturer. I'm assuming it makes for a better ride??

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any disadvantages with the tag axle, besides more tires, etc? Doesn't seem like tag axles are all that common, in any line for any manufacturer. I'm assuming it makes for a better ride??

They take up valuable space. They have a separate brake system to maintain. They require bearing repacking like the front. More tires to buy. Supposedly, a tag resists turning in snow and ice, but I am such a sissy I will never know.

Not a better ride, as such, but a much straighter ride. The P30 tends to wander and be blown off a straight course by trucks and high wind gusts. The tag makes it want to go straight.

An air bag tag allows adjustment for fuel load, hitch load, motorcycle rack load, etc.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:

1) My 33' 1986 was a Regal SE and I was told it was the "Silver Anniversary" year??? At that time, if memory serves, the "SE" meant "Special Edition"; it had "arrowhead" black/white/silver paint (red accents) on the sides and a tag axle as part of the SE package.
2) Urban legend has it the P30 chassis was prone to bend if extended in the rear and coaches over 30' were advised to have tags. The tag greatly increases the weight allowance; gives a real airbag suspension just like DPs, with a GREAT ride; and mine tracked wonderfully. Also, the tag is a really cool look with the "flat" tag Alcoa wheels behind the deep-dish Alcoa duals.
Finally: It had a big-block chevy which I never found underpowered, relatively speaking, even though the toad was 5,000lbs. And, to echo Bill H: overheating is exaggerated, at least in Barths -lots of free airflow around the engine and exhaust headers.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My may-aug 89 Kelley Blue Book shows Regencies starting in 84 and Regals starting in 86, with SEs starting in 86. They also show an 86 "RGL Se Det Dsl", as well as Regencies with both Det and Cat. For 87 they show 32 abd 34 RGL Det Dsl. At $40,000 more than a Regal SE.

Anyone know what those engines were?

I find it passing strange that Kelly has stuff different from NADA.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For reasons only known to GM, the 6.2/6.5L, and I believe, the 8.2L, were called "Detroit Diesel" engines, even though they shared nothing with the -53, -71, or -92s.....

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke