Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Reliability
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We are very happy with the size of our 28 ft. when it comes to living area, bath (however, my big butt would like another toilet) and even though I love my lovely wife of 100 years we love our center twin bed setup. However, we would like to have a dinette. From what I see, you need at least a 33ft to get a good dinette. And, then along with that you get a nice pantry etc.

I kind of lied before when I displayed the Monarch. That is infact a little too big for us. We treat our 28ft like an SUV. I have put at least 500 miles on Wisconsin dirt roads this year.

As far as my ride is concern, the previous owner left me with Ellis Wide Wheels. Now known as Boxer Wheels, www.boxerwheels.com The thing rides like a Lincoln..

By the way Kris K. I think your coach is very awesome. I wish I could afford it. It would be the perfect coach for us.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited September 18, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited September 18, 2002).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dave, you should try a Thetford Bravura, the high one. We replaced our Aqua Magic IV with the Bravura. Better in every way. Ours is in a corner, so I cocked the new one a bit for more room. The bathroom vanity is a littlw wide, so it will be removed and narrowed soon. If I still feel cramped, I will move the toilet a bit sideways. The seat is bigger than the AM IV, but if it still feels small, the Bravura can be sat on quite comfortably with the seat up (for wide people). Take a magazine and try one out.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

Ya, the AM requires one to develope new habits. I have actually started using the shower rooms if they are fairly close. And, that's as much as I will say on the subject..

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Kajtek1>
posted
Khmm... Somehow the reliability topic comes down to toilets.
But anyway, bill I don't know what DP is. I used to have tag axle on smaller motorhome and was really annoyed by electric brakes on it.
I still have 2 Ellis Wheels with good rubber if someone needs them. They have double holes, which fit Dodge and Chevy axles.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
DP is diesel pusher.
Most tag gas Barths have a Neway tag axle with air bag suspension and hydraulic brakes. There is a slight extra maintenance, in that there is an extra master cylinder and booster, and an extra pair of hydraulic brakes to maintain. The rear axle bearings need to be packed, like the front bearings. Another disadvantage is the tag wheel wells take up storage space.
The advantages are better tracking, better braking, and more control of load carrying ability if one uses varying loads on a motorcycle rack or trailer hitch or both.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Kajtek1>
posted
Did someone actually test the difference of handling with tag axle? My impression always was, that they are for weight distribution, and I have seen truck with 5 axles in some parts of Canada, where roads don't allow heavy tire pressure.
On the other hand have never seen any luxury European bus with tag, and they are famous for good tracking and braking.
I remember bill what you experienced, but those have been 2 different vehicles.
BDW dave the last link is not working.

[This message has been edited by Kajtek1 (edited September 19, 2002).]

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
In very simple terms, that extra axle can't steer. Hence the coach tends to want to go straight.
For the five dollar treatise, watch your mailbox.

<Kajtek1>
posted
Thanks for the article bill. From what I read the most important in stabilization is weight distribution. I used to own 32' Bounder build on 27' frame that was extended with smaller size framing. From rear axle to bumper was 12', stabilization bad. My feeling is that tag axle is "help" for the designers to make for lack of proper weight rating, or size. Now take a look at the picture below, and figure out what kind of weight distribution and stability this coach can have (try to image it without tag)

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
WOW!. What make is that coach? I hope it has drag wheels at the rear. Just think of the wheelies it could pop with a ht502 engine.

I'm sure that Bounder was something. My previous MH was a Southwind. Fleetwood is quite an operation. Somewhere there is a formula or ratio predicting handling with reference to length/wheelbase ratio. The formula doesn't factor in loading aft of the axle (tanks, genset, etc), so I suspect it is only good for very general predictions. Even a station wagon gets squirrelly when the CG moves aft. Like a V tail Bonanza.

I will agree with you that a tag is useful for load and length issues. That may be its primary reason for existence on a P30, but the P30 needs all the stability it can get, and the tag helps. I don't think anyone has done a tag on the Workhorse W22. It is a properly built MH chassis, not a bread van chassis.

It would be interesting to discuss the merits of a tag axle with an engineer from Prevost or MCI. I shouldn't think they are doing the compromise/patch thing there.

I sought out a tag Barth for the weight distribution considerations, but the added straight line stability was a very pleasant surprise. I could never go back to a non-tag P30. An auditory reminder of the tendancy of a tag axle RV to want to stay straight is the tire squirming and scribbing in a tight turn on an asphalt lot.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited September 19, 2002).]

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I agree Bill. The minute I found my 27'er with the rear bedroom I bought it. I figured if I went 3' longer I could get a center queen in the back.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Kajtek1>
posted
To avoid legal issues I will only say, that the blue motorhome above is build in 94, and is currently for sale on ebay. I only hope, that whoever will buy it, also have a good life insurance.