Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bluebird CoachWorks closes its doors
 Login now/Join our community

posted
for good last month. Creditors foreclose. Another big one goes under.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
There was not much left, about a year and a half ago the school bus company managed to sell Wanderlodge to Custom Coachworks out of southern California. They managed to produce one coach and were hit with really quite serious recalls of many of last several years production by the school bus company. It seems they were built with far more weight on the front axle than it was rated for causing dramatic failures and least one death resulting in a federal recall and investigation. The coaches of the 90's are having recurring problems with the left front upper shock mount ripping loose from the frame. All very sad, one must go all the way back to the 80's for this one's glory days.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if the front end problems you are talking about are in the front engine models only. A good friend recently bought a 36 Wanderlodge pusher. He owns a charter company and 18 MCIs including a 45' coach so I assume he knows what he has.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I haven't been following this saga so I'm a little lost.

What is the correlation of Bluebird CoachWorks to Wanderlodge? Does this effect the School Bus division? Is it a separate company? Can someone draw me a mental diagram as to what it means for the various companies caught up in this? Are there 2/3 different companies or is it part of the same? Timeline of events maybe?

Sorry for the long winded and multiple question response. It just caught me off guard and I'm trying to figure out what this means for the various parties/division/companies/etc.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Valley Forge facility shut its doors (and web site door). What remained of the Wanderlodge motorhome production and support facility is gone. As with Barth, owners are scrambling to secure what is left - documents, parts, knowledge - history. Sound familiar?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Bill, here's an RV industry press release from happier days that describes the players (now ex-player Frowner

http://www.roamingtimes.com/rv...es-wanderlodge-2.asp

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devolo:
The Valley Forge facility shut its doors (and web site door).

Fort Valley, Georgia facility

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In the 80's, my company supplied 'tool steel' to Bluebird's factory in Fort Valley. I was there many times. During one of these trips, I was told about the Wonderlodge and given a chance to go into one. Very impressive. I loved the motorized tie rack. It looks like those days are over, just like ties no longer are very popular either.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anything about a foreclosure/closing. I think the Fort Valley facility may still be open, as it mainly builds schoolbusses (but also did, AFAIK, build the shells for CCW's Wanderlodges).

Bluebird itself went through a bankruptcy about 3 years ago, and some reports state that Complete Coach Works eventually bought not only rights to the Wanderlodge, but also the Fort Valley plant...there are reports that either Dale or Tom Carson (of CCW's owner, D/T Carson Enterprises, Inc.) was at the plant frequently.

BTW, Monaco filed for Chap 11 last week.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Country Coach also filed for chapter 11 protection last Thursday, the same day as Monaco. In Country Coach's case, the main creditor is actively trying to liquidate the company. Monaco has a better chance of emerging from Chapter 11, but I don't know if they will. Things are tough.

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
...and Fleetwood, the 800 lb gorilla, filed for
Chapter 11 on March 10th Eeker

Might end up with nothing but Winnies & Newells yet Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable!!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tom Johns, Nick Cagle, others and I have puzzled over why manufacturers continually bloated their products, building larger and larger units while ignoring the market for well-built, compact RVs.

With the exception of Lexington, Coach House, and Born Free (all Class Cs), there isn't a non-behemoth, soundly designed and built motorhome under 32', and few less than 37'.

The usual tripe is that "there's more profit in the large coaches". Well, yeah, but not if they aren't going to sell.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rusty 100%. Find a manufacturer today that builds a quality 28 to 32 foot diesel pusher. I don't think that it exist and I don't understand why. We were in the chat room Wednesday night and the same subject came up. I said then and I say again. If that is what you are looking for in a coach, you can search for an older Barth or you can search for an older Barth.
Luckily they can still be found. And at very reasonable prices in my opinion.

Part of the problem seems to be the over all outlook of all of us Americans. Whether you are looking at houses, cars, or rv's we just can't seem to use the words nice and small in the same sentence. It's almost as if to be nice, it must also be large.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coachworks Holdings, Inc closed its Ft
Valley Ga facility. Creditors seized assets that they intend to sell. I think this is only pertains to the motorhome division. Busses still there.