Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Off to Alaska---June I think
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Hi guys and gals. Looks like one of my races has been cancelled and we may go to Alaska this June. I drove down the Alcan Highway 50 years ago and know it will be nothing like what I had experienced then.

For those of you that have done this-----

1. Anybody have a travel journal to share?

2. Precautions along the way?

3. Places that "must be seen"?

4. Anything else you may think of?

Thanks!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
First order the book "The Milepost". It has a mile per mile description of the hwy, everything from frost heaves to must see things and gas stations, provincial parks and state parks.
We done it in 1995. A must see in my eyes is Liard Hot Springs in Canada, Chena Hot Springs near Fairbanks. A must is halibut fishing in Homer AK. If you come to the GTG we can talk and Tom J was in AK a couple years ago. Be prepared for a lot of dust. It made into our oven even...
In Canada Banff and Lake Louise and numerous Provincial Parks. In Alaska Denali you can get into the park if you stay a min of 3 nights and a schoolbus will take you to Mirror Lake (?).
My favourite is Liard Hot Springs. You soak in a natural spring in the woods, watch moose and camp walking distance.
Thumbs Up

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
check out the FMC motorcoach group on yahoo! there was a guy who did it last year in his FMC!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris: watch moose and camp walking
Thumbs Up

How does a camp walk?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Distance. Yepp it's there.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Ed, Tom and Nancy Johns left DC and toured Alaska in their barth. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
My parents made the trip twice in the 90"s. They took the ferry up and drove back. 1rst trip in a 21' class C. 2nd trip in a 34' class A. My Dad said it was great way to see the coastal towns on the way up. Didn't have to worry about damage on the way to Alaska. He took 1/2 conduit and chicken wire to make a stone gaurd for windsheild and radiator for the way back.

It a trip I hope to make some day.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
We bought our Barth do do Alaska. Went up by Ferry and left by road.

We spent about 5+ days at each of the ferry stops.

We used the Barth like a big van. Stayed on the streets in Ketchacan, national forest campground in Jeaneu,

I have a journal if I can retrieve it and Marleen made a scapebook of our trip. Left Yuma April 10th and left Alaska middle of August. We didn't miss much.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We left Tampa in Dec 94 in our 28' class A (454 Chevy) towing a F150 , went across country, got snowed in on May 1st in Yellowstone with over a foot of snow
Chipped the windshield in MT, lost a hubcap somewhere in Canada. Still had icebergs floating on the lakes in May. Spent June in Alaska.
Before that we done a 3 week trip in AK in 93 renting a RV.

But really the book "The Milepost" is very helpful as it mentions campgrounds of all sorts, free pull outs etc.
Http://milepost.com