Forums    General Discussions    Insulation options..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Insulation options..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
I have seen a few pic's with inner rib ( walls and roof) areas with insulation removed

a couple of threads I found : https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...081078512#7081078512)

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...031072951&p=1&cdra=Y

wondering if other options for replacing insulation exist..mainly spray-on type..Drawback would be, I suppose, that once that type is in, there may not be any access to inner wiring runs..

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Insulation is one of the biggest variables of all in RV manufacture. Early Barths (like mine)had 2 inch fiberglass insulation in the walls, floor, roof. In the 90's even Barth tried to save money on insulation. They used sheets of what is essentially bubble pack, later, none at all.

Many SOBs have little or no insulation.

Remember, the best insulation will have a moisture barrier on the inside with enough ventilation to prevent condensation and mold in the walls.

Spray on foam is great stuff but tricky to install. On flat surfaces, ie walls, I have been using 1 inch foam to line the outer walls of the shower, closets, cabinets. Glued in and sealed with expanding foam.

With the extra foam and the double pane windows it has made a big difference in the sub freezing temperatures I sometime see in the winter.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I think the best insulation you do Steve is that 1500 mile trip to the Keys in February. Cool

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
with the extra foam and the double pane windows it has made a big difference in the sub freezing temperatures I sometime see in the winter.

I suppose your DP windows were an after market item..are they available for any (Barth) RV window config..? Probably not to difficult as all just flat.. pricey?

Other than the Florida Keys, as mentioned, sounds like a viable option.. although on the Left Coast, we just drop down a 1000' feet or so when tired of the low temps.. Smiler

Mike W
Maine/NorCalifornia

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Mike, My BaRTh came with Double Pane windows and is a DP. Not to be confused with the windows but my rig is a (DP) Diesel Pusher with a Double Pane (DP) windows. You had me confused for a minute. With nearly 4000 members and over 423,000 views it is good to spell YOUR thoughts out.
Most intellectual Barth owners and purveyors do think outside the box. On the other hand (OTOH) we sometimes cannot see the forest because of dense trees.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
My '94 Breakaway has only the bubble insulation. it is useless! Within 30 minutes after the sun hits the outside skin the inside temp starts to rise. When the outside temp is below 30 degrees, the furnace almost never shuts off!

I am still looking for a blow in type of insulation that would not be water absorbent and non itchy! Thru the ceiling light and A/C openings, and thru the side windows (taking out the window assembly) I could get 90-95% coverage but would be a BIG job. I also have considered taking down the ceiling panels like Nick did and then put in foam bats.

I have DP windows and they are great for noise and heat/cooling transfer, BUT, the aluminum frame of the window does a lot of heat/cooling transfer. No way around that.

I broke a DP side window in the tree altercation and it wasn't bad to replace the panel but new DP window assemblies are pricey!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Back a few years ago when I lived at home with mom and dad, my dad built the home with DP (double pane windows. The neighbors had SP (single pane) windows, but I was not allowed to go over there because a DP (displaced person or dumb person) lived there. The DP that lived in the house drank DP (Doctor Pepper). We occasionally had a DP (Dill pickle) in a bag. I had a DP (Deep Purple) album. I am sure Ed remembers the conversation on BLM.
OK, let us see not only Abbreviations have two meanings, The bandage was wound around the wound. Some farms sell produce they produce. The child could not bear to give his pet bear to the zoo.

In many instances you can read your own post a few days later and have it take on a different thought. If you find your post vague, of confusing use the little eraser in the bottom corner of your post. You can edit it yourself for clarification. Think of the search index and try searching for your post, After searching and you can find out how many other topics will be related to your thoughts.

In stationary homes, it is easier to insulate. In homes with wheels it is easier to move to a climate that you like best.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is an exerpt from another thread about my home made double pane windows…

I taped the center overlap and put 1/2 inch square foam weatherstrip around the inside frame of the window. Cut the plexiglass rectangle about 1/8 inch undersize. Made a cardboard pattern and rounded the corners. Bottom sits right in recess, sides and tops have wooden strip retainers. Be sure to make any holes in the plexi oversize to allow for expansion, etc. or they may start a crack. When I finish the ones for the other windows I will make some nice hardwood strips and maybe some screws with knob heads for easy removal.

I now have five pieces of plexiglass cut for the large windows. (I still have to tape the center gap. I will devise some kind of positive latch soon.) Once the plexiglass is in place, there is an immediate reduction in noise, drafts, and heat loss. No more frosted windows. About $35 each for plexiglass. I remove them when I get to Florida! Cool

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post