Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello to Barth community, my name is Kirt now residing in South Florida. I stumbled upon the Barth brand searching for used motorhomes. The Barth construction caught my eye as a construction manager of 40 years. I will be in the market for a good used mid size Barth in the next couple years and wish to educate myself in the mean time. After my retirement I'll use the motorhome to tow my vintage race car along the SE United States to vintage races.Hopefully my wife will join me on some of these excursions,along with our small pooch.A rear queen bed and a real shower with a door are my needs for now but I've much to learn.Kirt

Posts: 1 | Location: South Florida | Member Since: 01-25-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Welcome we always like to see new folks join us. There is a lot of knowledge both in the archives and people here at Barthmobile. Search the site and ask questions we should be able to help put you in the know.

The 5.9 Cummins paired with the 6 speed Allison transmission would be a great one to pull a vintage race car on a trailer. Any of the Breakaways with that power train would do the job without issue as proof see my Aristocrat (renamed Breakaway) pulling my 72. I equated it to my 10 ton brick pulling my 5 ton brick. 72 was missing a motor and transmission so it was a little lighter.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Howdy and welcome Smiler

We really love ours Tooling Along

5.9 Cummins with 4speed Allison . Rear walk around queen bed and a shower with glass door Thumbs Up

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Kirt,
Approximately five years ago, regarding a motor home purchase, my wife & I were in a very similar situation as you find yourselves now. I perused this Barthmobile site for about a year to learn all I could about the various Barths. Then in 2019, I joined the group and six months later bought a 1993 30'Barth Breakaway from a fellow member. We have invested A LOT of time(sweat equity) and some money but are overjoyed with this coach! For a compatible couple(we've been married 45 yrs.) who enjoy attending weekend events, a Breakaway is hard to beat. Therefore, to put the cherry on the top, I agree with Dana & Harold. A Breakaway with the 5.9 Cummins 12 valve, an Allison transmission, & a Spartan 2000 chassis, is a tough combination to beat. It's fuel efficient, quiet, maneuverable, and you'll undoubtedly get more attention than you probably want, based on our experience. The difficulty may be finding one quickly, as those who own them, such as ourselves, are hesitant to part with them.

Good luck with your search.

John & Janis

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Kirt,
Just wanted to throw out there the Monarch’s like I currently own are great in their own right. What does it have that got me to switch. Size, mainly headroom. I am 6’5” tall and can even walk under the air conditioner. 38’ length gives me room for a side by side refrigerator/freezer. I have a full queen not an RV queen. Zig zag floor plan. Privacy in the bedroom without shut door. Washer/dryer, large shower with headroom. Frontend slides out with 8000 diesel generator. 8.3 Cummins currently at 325 hp and the same 6 speed Allison transmission.

All this comes at a price. Being 30,000 pounds fuel consumption is greater. 6.8 to 7 is pretty consistent. DBarth my Aristocrat 20,000 pounds got 10+ up to 13 dependent on my speed and terrain.

Compared to Midnight(my Monarch) the maneuverability was way better or tighter. DBarth felt not much different than a full size pickup to me. Midnight more like driving a bus. You could drive either one with one finger on the road.

Just a few observation from my point of view.

I love Midnight no more jammed neck.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post