Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do Canadiens eat?

Cajuns got Boudain, Canadians got Poutine

(Quebec French pronunciation Pronunciation-of-Poutine.ogg ˈputsɪn (help·info)) is a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curd, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients.[1]

Americans got Dunkin Donuts, Canadians got Tim Hortons.

Americans got Bud (horse pee), Canadians got Molson, (Moose pee).

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Vinegar with thier french frys....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Molson beer is heavily advertised in the U.S. When the average N.W. U.S. boater hits Canada on his summer cruise, the first thing he usually buys is a case of LaBatt's Blue. My mouth waters with the memory.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
There is also another beer, Brador, years ago only available in Quebec, I believe they sell it in other provinces now. It has a higher alcohol content than Labatts or Molson. When you buy beer, you have to buy it at the "Beer Store" - no kidding, you can't buy beer at the grocery store, nor the local gas station.

On a side note, my brother says Vancouver is absolutely crazy. He is telling me that a Olympic t-shirt is selling for $79 plus taxes (15% +/-). He was also telling me that some folks who could not attend the hockey game, and had tickets, has turned them into the Olympic Committee. These tickets are now selling for $25,000 EACH. Most events are sold out.

Another Canadian favourite is fish and chips (battered fish - usually cod, with fries). The best vinegar for your fries is malt vinegar, you put the vinegar on first, then salt. Smiler

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Tina, I loved Brador beer back when we took a boatride to the north side of Manitoulin Island..
Only thing was that beer was so strong you had to be careful or you already drank to much before you knew it... I also really enjoyed Old Vienna, brings back alot of memories thinking about those brown bottles... I believe the imported beer that we buy here in the states has alot less alcohol content then the beer you buy at "The Beer Store" in Canada..

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Maine we always did the Malt Vinegar thing too. Not sure if it began in Canada first, but Maine was about 1/2 French Canadian when I was a kid.

In the Nor'East we also loved sharp cheddar cheese lightly melted on any berry or fruit pie. Humpty Dumpty ketchup chips and clam chips. And every summer vacation we'd get a cod fish which would be splayed open, set in the sun raw and salted. You knew it was ready to eat when the maggots were all gone. We kids would check it daily with such anticipation.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Patch1st, those little brown bottles are now known as "stubbies" and are starting to become collectible. Like here in the U.S., they have been converting to the "long necks".

Also, Canadians are SERIOUS abut recycling. Every bottle or can of beer has a 10 cent return fee added to encourage returns. I look at our ditches around here, if we had the same thing, I'd be rich Smiler

Not certain about this, but I also heard that wine bottles carry a $3. deposit.

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
And every summer vacation we'd get a cod fish which would be splayed open, set in the sun raw and salted. You knew it was ready to eat when the maggots were all gone. We kids would check it daily with such anticipation

OK, that explains a few things. Roll Eyes ROTFLMAO

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell me you Florida boys didn't eat bugs and wrassle gators in the Everglades!!!

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Heck, we don't have to go all the way down to the glades, we have gators to wrassle in our back yards and our best eatin' bugs come from the Keys. Yankees call them lobsters.
Corey and Cheri, did you happen to see my note to Bob & Connie about Lake Manatee, April 2 & 3. Trying hard to lock it in and 90o/o sure. We'll try for site 16. All the sites in that area are 30 amp and I haven't checked the other area but they may have 50 over there. Something to think about if you're still down here at that time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
April 2 & 3.

Looks like we'll be heading back north by then. We're really motivated to get our NH house sold this year so we're probably heading back early as it will need lots of tidy-up jobs.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I will give the beer and the Vinegar fries a try, but I think I pass on the Cod "spread". Eeker
We crushed our cans in Canada before returning them, the poor girl in the beer market nearly fainted and tried to straigthen them back up. She was like "OH no what have you done!" Maybe I should take my old cans to Canada, here I need one pound for 55 cents.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Marvin+Doris, IMHO the best fries you will find will be those from a chip truck (the ones you see on the side of the road selling fries, burgers, etc.) Be sure to use vinegar first, then salt, otherwise you will wash all the salt off with the vinegar. It's an art, like emptying you black tank first.... Roll Eyes

Also, FYI, you can ask for a napkin, to wipe your fingers on, but, most Canadians ask for a serviette......And, if you get a chance to try the poutine, you won't be sorry, no vinegar needed for poutine. Be careful, poutine is VERY addictive, and you WILL be craving more.

And, if you get a chance, Harvey's is a Canadian legend for hamburgers. They put the toppings on right in front of you (like subway). For chicken, Swiss Chalet is another Canadian icon.

Have fun. Where and when are you going????

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP