Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You will be stylin' All shined up it will make a good pimp ride for the city! confusion ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Does JC Whatsisname still exist? If so you might get them cheaper or even find Whitehall paint. Wink

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Does JC Whatsisname still exist? If so you might get them cheaper or even find Whitehall paint. Wink

Made me laugh Tim. Wow ancient history for me JC Whitney catalog. Now called carparts dot

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow. JC Whitney. Also Warschowski (sp?) in the same warehouse in Chicago...! I went there once. Huge open warehouse with piles of stuff everywhere. Lots of parts for me in the 70's and 80's. A catalog in every outhouse up north. I wondered what happened to them!

How about DAK? Bread machines and stereo systems.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Actually I remember back in the late 60's buying two items from the J.C. Whitney catalogue. The first was a small bottle of translucent blue paint that I applied to my incandescent dome lights in my blue interior '68 Corvette. The second, and I'm a little ashamed to admit this, was a vacuum operated cable-controlled wolf whistle which I installed in my '70 Chevy Impala Custom. Properly operated, it would sound like a cat call whistle and was fairly effective at getting attention from the local girls. Sorry, but as a teen needing attention, that's all I could come up with. Nowadays, using an item such as that would probably lead to a harassment suit, instead of a smile.

Good Luck All,
John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Most of us with a bit of age used J.C. Whitney as a staple for after-market and all kinds of stuff! The internet took its toll on nostalgia.

Well, the weather person, once again was not 100% correct. Did get in a few hours of 71 work before the wind picked up and got too cold, wind chill. Does not look too promising weather wise for the next week or so, might get a couple of hours tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Finally got the passenger side brake back together, new spring tool is not the best, but it did semi-work. Would be nice to get the drivers side done and get off the front jack stands. Have a system now that side should go faster. Faster,,,Maybe!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Although it is a bit cool, mid 40's+, was able to get an hour or so of work on 71 today, wind chill makes it feel cold. Got the old brakes and that troublesome wheel cylinder off. Those two little bolts are a real pain. Might get a bit of work in tomorrow, but then it gets cold for at least a week according to the weather service.

Good thing to do this job. The wheel cylinder looked pretty good, but it is leaking fluid just like the passenger side. Now I am convinced the rear wheels positively have to be rebuilt. They were more of pain than the front on Nose, not looking forward to that job. Nose and 88 both have disc brakes on the front.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
No work on 71 for probably 10 days if the weather folks are accurate. Says it is 42F, but it feels like 24F.

We do have a sure sign spring is close, 3 White Pelicans were soaring over the Mississippi River this morning. That means the main flock (several hundred) is not to far down river. This cold snap for the next 10 days may slow down their northern migration a bit. Tim might have some extra birds for the next few days.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Lots reported up around Portage des Sioux about 5 miles upriver from my harbor. Tomorrow I hope to get some scouting in, I think they and the eagles are moving upriver. Last year L&D 25 at this time was almost all pelicans and 24 was eagles. Below the gates even the invasive species are stunned by the turbulence through the gates. Eagles are just a brother vulture in a tuxedo, get them when they are down or swimming sideways;-).
Did you get the care package?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you get the care package?

Kids will be out this weekend and bring the carburetor. The weather is so cruddy, so it will be nice to work in the coach installing it and new valve cover gaskets. Let it warm up and finish the brakes front and back!

Thank you so much Tim, for the assistance.

ADDED!!! Weather is crappy kids decided next weekend so no care package till then!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
It got up to about 50F today, was able get the drivers-side front brake back together. Yes; it took as long to do as the passenger-side.

My partner teenage kid, parents bought him a pick-up truck so although he will not be able to drive it alone for a few months, (has a permit) he is cleaning, waxing and checking everything. He has no time for the old man down the street. Therefore, was not able to bleed the front brakes.

Supposed to rain tomorrow and then get cooler, so probably will not get the front brakes bled for a week or so. Delays
, Delays!!!

Not looking forward to the next two tasks. Rear brakes and the fuel system cleaning. There is lots to do on this ole coach so maybe something else will take president. I hope!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Rain and cold no 71 work today.

Watching Motor Trend TV, Dallas Car Sharks, what pops up but a 70 Barth looks like about a 25-footer class "A". It is actually in pretty good shape; a guy buys it at auction for $3000. The interior is original with blanket seat covers but the ceiling and front area look good. Runs too! Layout is similar to 71! Exterior looks good too, no dents and looks like the paint is ok just needs some polishing.

He polished the exterior, mostly aluminum, looks great! Did some inside clean up, painted the cabinets installed a TV. The show said he sold it for $14000, he put $1500 into the upgrades and polish.

Must be some drama, no new tires or mechanical work mentioned..

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The sun was out today, although pretty cold just about freezing! Went down by the river, pelicans have arrived in mass, must be 700 or 800 Seagulls on the docks and saw 6 eagles! Positive signs of spring.

Got the new carburetor, from Tim, it will fit great, even the choke will adapt to my existing set up, gonna just install it and hope the jetting is good for this engine. Looking at getting a wide band fuel to air ratio gauge, not positive about spending the $ for a onetime thing.

Did get the neighbor to help bleed the front brakes today, froze my little fingers to the bone. Perhaps tomorrow will let the front down and jack up the back. Think I am going to adjust the shoes and just bleed the back brakes, just to see if they work, really hate to tear them apart in this cold weather, will have to be done before any travel but can wait till it warms up. Just need to be able to move it around in the driveway.

Ran the engine for a few minutes, did not pump out much old gas, so perhaps the tank is getting down near empty. Another dreaded job that needs to done, drop that fuel tank and replace all the old rubber lines, Yuck!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
That carb was running on the new engine for probably 110 hours before I swapped it for the rebuilt that matched the port engine. It was on a 350 and should work well. Why not put a pinch clamp on the hose from the tank and drain some gas into can to see how it looks and smells? Could be okay or almost empty, 5 or 10 gallon dilution could be a solution. This would also give an inspection of the hose.
Glad it worked.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Freezing is too cold to enjoy working on a coach Mechanic

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post