Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

picking up a Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
I may be picking up a barth whose owner let the plates expire (anticipating sale). When I bought my last one, I took the bill of sale (plates were expired) and drove 1000 miles home.It was insured by the fact that I called my agent and left a msg when I bought it. This seller is concerned about insurance, tag etc. Anyone give me counsel? tia, stringmann

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most auto policies cover a "newly acquired vehicle" for 30 days automatically. However, since this is an RV, speak to your agent or send him a note with make, model, year, length, and VIN. In FL, coverage cannot be bound by voicemail or answering machine, and your insurer may not cover motorhomes.

Check with your local tag agency about temporary tags.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerry. You've been patient, searching for another Barth.
What are you looking at? Hope it comes together for you.
We'll catch you on the road again sometime I'm sure.
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
It depends on your state, none of us that are not in Georgia would have the same rules. In IL, you can get a 5-day temporary registration permit for this sort of circumstance. Insurance is on your own, although they are now starting to require proof of insurance when you renew your plates (something other states have already been doing for years).

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stringmann:
This seller is concerned about insurance, tag etc. Anyone give me counsel? tia, stringmann

I can only speak for CA, but there is a place on the title where the seller signs and that is the end of it for the seller.

In my own case, the buyer didn't register a car, and I kept getting hate letters over a single parking ticket from the state. Each time, I sent them a copy of the title I signed, the form I sent them, and the bill of sale. It took a while, but finally it stopped.

My insurance guy said not to be concerned, as I had documentation, and my liability stopped the minute the title was signed and handed over.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I remember how simple CA did it: GA says temp tags must be issued by dealer so I'm not sure why a dealer issues tags for a vehicle sold by an individual.I will talk w/ my insurance agent.
Don and Betty, thanks for your encouragement. I had a contract on a regency for a while but the mechanic wouldn't 'clear it' on a couple of things so seller and I decided to let it go to someone else. This one is not yet finalized but I think it will be. Thanks again.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Whenever I have purchased a vehicle, regardless of what state it is registered in, I always call my insurance company, and verify by email to them, that I have purchased it and want to make sure they have the info. This in spite of the fact that their policy is to insure any vehicle I am driving. I deal direct with the company and don't go through an agent. In my case, USAA, they don't have agents anyway. Once, a seller required me to give him proof of insurance, via email to him from the insurance company before he let me drive away. In these days of law suits, that may not be a bad idea, even though the seller's signature on the title is often the only thing required. The next time I sell a vehicle, I may do this myself. The buyer can always cancel the insurance once they get to where they're going.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post