Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barthmobile Tow Away Chapter & Therapy Center
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Bill NY, the sooner people can accept that a breakdown isn't the end of the world, the sooner they can enjoy their vehicles. At many of our antique car shows we have a broken trophy for those that had an "event" on the way to the show.
I feel better after reading about other people's troubles. It helps put things into perspective.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
...the sooner people can accept that a breakdown isn't the end of the world, the sooner they can enjoy their vehicles.
You bring up a very good point Doug...

I wonder how many people fear taking their coaches on a long drive because they might have a breakdown? hmm

You're not getting pictures or cherishing memories like these taking the Barth to a campground 10 miles away. Not unless you're Lee. Big Grin

Go to a GTG or take a trip - but get out there and enjoy yourself!!!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
It got me because with our 1960 Ex Trailways bus we never broke down once in 10 years of ownership. With the big trucks we got over 1 million miles travelling and had to be towed twice (a broken piston at 999,460 mi on the old truck, then at 1,100,000 mi same truck the bull gear quit). Lesson learned: Do not leave home without your BIG toolbox. And listen to the early signs, it will not cure itself. oh well, hindsight is twenty twenty. On the bright side the repair shop owner and his wife invited us to dinner the second night and we had a good time. You can meet some really nice people out on the road. I know, the sharks are out there too. But I truly believe Carl Feren should be nominated president of the tow away / roadside repair chapter. I admire him for the work and dedication he put in his coach in Hawthorne NV(we met him and Betsy there). No sandstorm or winter freeze was stopping him. Here I was joking we should buy a wrecker and follow everyone to the GTGs, reading all the stories of Mary Rae, Nick and others. I am not complaining, just trying to tell others LISTEN to your motor and do not think you make it home (Murphys law). The alternator was still charging from time to time, the batteries were not down, but then the bearings fell out of the back of it (and it had only 2000 miles on it) and that was the end (it locked up). Now I sound like a whining truck driver. deadhorse Big Grin But you know meeting you all up there in Milford was worth it all! Smiler Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I've been towed twice; once in a FWD GMC with a blown transmission; once with a Brand X SOB with a plugged up fuel system; never in the Barth.

The closest I came in the Barth was on our trip home after buying the coach. Descending from the Siskiyou Mountains in OR, an awning arm detached at the top, hit the pavement, & bounced along
sounding just like a blowout with a ruptured tire tearing up the wheel well. When I got the coach stopped & my heart stopped pounding, I tied the arm back up with some Velcro tape, drove into Ashland, bought a proper-size bolt at a hardware store, bolted the arm back in place, & drove on. My biggest problems were navigating the narrow streets in the older part of town with a toad hooked on, finding an open hardware store with a place to park, & figuring out how to get up high enough to reach the offending bolt. At last I found a loading platform & parked next to it. Took about 3 minutes to finish the job.

I corrected a lot of other problems on the Barth, due mainly to age & neglect, but in 10K miles or so, I never had another problem on the road.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
I don't feel so bad now about having blown the engine on our first Barth. I wonder what would have happend if I had just stopped when I heard the big "clunk." Traffic on a one-lane interstate under construction would have backed up for miles, I'm sure, but I bet our wait for a tow would have been considerably shorter!

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Lorelei, did you folks get another motor home?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Lorelei, did you folks get another motor home?
Jim
yes they did
quote:
Originally posted by Lorelei:
I guess we liked the trip, because we're DOING IT AGAIN! Tim and I bought this coach and are leaving to pick it up. I know. I know. I can't believe it either.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post