Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barthmobile Tow Away Chapter & Therapy Center
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Moved several post to keep the continuity of that post, and this thread, going.

At one time a Towed was a Barth Trailer or Car being pulled behind a Barth. Now... mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
And the saga continues. We like dry camping at the tow yard so much we signed up for another night. All went smooth, we treated the Barth to a new alternator, 4 fresh belts, filter and u joints. That would have only taken $700 and 5 hrs, but now we got a vibration.
quote:
We are joining the Barth tow away chapter....
Got any pictures? You can't be a member of the tow away chapter (Mary Ray Prez - Nick VP) unless you've got proof. Big Grin

I've got a quote from a member that goes well here...
quote:
Mmmmh, we always pictured a "Barthmobiler" sitting in a chair in FRONT of his coach, parked under a shade tree, enjoying a cold drink. hmm
Glad to see you finally made it home! It was my pleasure meeting you. cheers

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Got any pictures? You can't be a member of the tow away chapter (Mary Ray Prez - Nick VP) unless you've got proof. Big Grin
Hmmmmm....I guess we should be added as an associate member?
This wasn't on the Milford trip, it was in the middle of Montana on our maiden journey bringing her home from Seattle. Tooling Along

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

I'm a member, but have no photos. Towed from the junction of I-18/I-287N to Springfield, NJ with a busted P/S pump.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
"Got any pictures? You can't be a member of the tow away chapter (Mary Ray Prez - Nick VP) unless you've got proof."

This was when we broke down coming home from DC last October. We limped into the school parking lot then limped to the truck stop just down the road then I held a flash light for 4 hours while mr Wyatt took apart our carb after replacing 4 fuel filters in the school parking lot.

No not a tow but the breakdown should qualify for something in the club. We could have a little pin that you hang a little wrench on it every time you break down. Then we could "brag" about that since it's a part of owning a Barth. And I have proof I broke down; pictures, witnesses & the bill to prove it:-(
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

I've been parked a couiple of times. In APR '06 (shortly after I got the coach), I was headed home from a MS star party, and the A/C compressor locked and crapped the belt. An hour later, I was on the road.

Later that year, after a long steep grade enroute to Carl Flack (when he lived in Crossville, TN), the system blew coolant out, and I had to refill.

On my way to PA in '08, the master cylinder got squirelly, but I limped into Baltimore.

Later that year, the starter went South in GA, but it was at a star party, and a friend took me to a store to get a replacement.

Two years later, the M/C crapped again; this time I got a tow into the same Baltimore shop.

This year, after replacing the aftermarket P/S pump, it failed, and got a tow to Springfield Truck Center (NJ) for replacement.

This is why I always carry at least 30 gal water, LPG, and plenty of food; one never knows where one might crap out!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Not to steal the thread, but add us to the "towed" contingent. Water pump went Thursday night on the way to Ocean City, Md. car show weekend. I had our trailer and my Z-28 on the back so I had to scramble to figure out how we were going to handle that issue also. Thank goodness there were friends with us. I do not think Kathleen took photos, as it was 3:00AM when our Barth was pulled away. Not a good feeling, so I now know how you all felt....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Rusty,
That's 4 little wrenches for you & according to the towed pres & vp you still aren't in the club until there are pictures.
Tere
How about a receipt for the tow?

I know..... pictures are just more dramatic.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

I got an excuse, my memory card in the camera was full due to overusage in Milford. But I sure wish I had a picture, it was a sharp looking tow truck, a Kenworth Big Grin with all the chrome, lights and fancy paint job. I sure agree with Rusty, we always keep some water in the tank and had plenty food and LP gas. Marvin could have fixed the alternator IF it would not have been after hours (all autoparts closed already) and the big toolbox was left at home. Plus we were 4 miles from town with no bike or tow car. Then we figured at the parts house they probably do not have it in stock and we would have to wait another day. So the Coachnet people came to the rescue. Actually I just wanted a nearby service place and limp in (after the belts started smelling funny we scrapped that idea) and they insisted on a tow. I think the roadside mechanic could have fixed it. But we also wanted all four belts replaced (we got one of this smog pumps too) and to get to the front one he had to take off the wheel on the drivers side. What complicated things is the tow truck driver dropped the u-joint and 101 little pins scattered across the dark parking lot. Since it was not "greaseable" Marvin wanted to change them all to have grease fittings. That lead to the mechanic replacing the alternator and belts goofing up. He cranked it to check his works and that driveshaft started banging around like crazy. It got it out of round and we had a terrible vibration on the test drive. Back at the garage the owner apologized and took the driveshaft to a shop in Somerset KY where they got it back in shape (they do a lot of racecar work including Roush Team). Now we are twice as fast! She runs good now. The dry camping was ok, but we were right along a busy street in town. I would have traded for that train noise.
Seems like we need a tow away chapter reading all those stories! Keep Barthmobiling!
PS Where is Casey's Barth shirt?

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I know..... pictures are just more dramatic.
Exactly my point... Big Grin

I did overstep my bounds a little. Ooops Seeing that I am not in charge of that dept, maybe Nick and Mary Ray will allow you to join without photo proof. Smiler

But, as you pointed out... "pictures are just more dramatic."

~~~ Carl Feren ~~~~~~~ Carl Feren ~~~~~~ Nick Cagle ~~~~~~~ Mary Ray ~~~~~~ TJ ~~~

I was almost tempted to place this entire thing in the Post: What does it take to be a Barthmobiler?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I think this is one chapter I prefer not to join.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I've never been towed-Thank the Lord!, but I've had to replace a broken fan belt on the shoulder of the road after Hurricane Rita. I changed that belt in record time-always keep a spare. The wind was still blowing about 50 mph, but it just felt like a cool breeze after surviving winds of 110 mph over 100 miles inland.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
What I find so amazing is that others who have been towed, or has broken down, has shared their story with us trying to help our fellow Barth Owners not fall into the same scenario as they did.

I had my mechanics come out (no pictures) to the Fridays Restaurant on the day that I left for the Milford GTG because my brakes were dragging. We stripped down the front wheel positions and lubed up the sticking calipers. For me, no biggie, but for others it could be a game stopper.

Anyone can break down. Anyone can be towed. I would not be immune from having to call a tow truck, but I believe that my mechanical ability will keep that scenario down to a minimum.

Since I've owned my coach I have had 1 close call with a failing fuel pump that could have easily translated into a tow on my way to the WDC GTG.

I've had the E brake burn up on my initial trip from the dealership to my house. I've had the alternator fail on my way to the Pennsylvania 500 race one year too. In that case I started up my generator and let my house charger get my down the road.

My father would tell me that these things build character. Of course, no one wants to build character while on a vacation.

I feel blessed to have the mechanical ability to overcome these difficulties and I try my best to keep other people on our site up and running. I have been on the phone helping members salvage a vacation or direct them to a proper repair.

Being towed is not a badge of shame. For me I would feel embarrassed, but sometimes stuff like this happens. If it did happen to me, I would tell you that I was towed, what happened and how to prevent this in the future if it pertains to your coach. Yes, I would get a photo... Big Grin

My best read was when BarthBluesmobile left his post on his cross country trip. I was happy to read how he overcame each issue along the way.

Our coaches aren't getting any younger, you will spend money on them. You may very well break down one day. Sorry, but those are the facts of owning any 20+/- yr old coach... mechanic

Keep Barthing!!!

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:

No not a tow but the breakdown should qualify for something in the club. We could have a little pin that you hang a little wrench on it every time you break down. Then we could "brag" about that since it's a part of owning a Barth. And I have proof I broke down; pictures, witnesses & the bill to prove it:-(
Tere

I'll drink to that! I would have to think a little, but we have done a number of roadside repairs or bodges to keep going. Tonight, over wine at sunset, Susan and I will try to remember some of them, just in case a breakdown club forms.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Knock on wood.....

One roadside stranding with the Barth in 7 years, zero strandings in 3 other SOB's since 1973...
A combination of good preflights & dumb luck I'm sure.......

With Barth, a planetary flywheel-to-torque converter bolt (3/8" X 1") backed out, bounced around and locked up in starter Bendix....Got stopped to look-see, but couldn't restart.....

BIG Kudos to Coach-Net & their responder....back on the road inside of three hours..... Thumbs Up

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post