Reply To This Topic

flat tire
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Dang it - dang it---
Yesterday I checked all the tires on the Barth because of the cold temps. I should have left them alone and drove to a tire center. Just came home and found the left rear outer tire flat.
Appearently the tire valve did not close tight after checking and had a slow leak.
Question- if I drove slow (about one mile) to the tire center would I hurt that tire. I do have road service but don't know if it covers it setting in the drive way.
I may have to jack it up and remove that wheel. I tried 100lbs air from an air tank but all that did was blow out from the broken seal.

Thanks,
Jim

1985 Barth Regency
8.2 Detroit

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb Rustige:

Appearently the tire valve did not close tight after checking and had a slow leak.

Did the cap leak, too?

quote:

Question- if I drove slow (about one mile) to the tire center would I hurt that tire. I do have road service but don't know if it covers it setting in the drive way.
I may have to jack it up and remove that wheel. I tried 100lbs air from an air tank but all that did was blow out from the broken seal.

Thanks,
Jim

How about putting a new core in the valve and airing it again? You can rob the core from your spare if a new one is not handy.

Or you could use your air tank to fill it and rely on the valve cap to hold air to the tire place.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
I have heard that it's okay to drive on 1 (of 2) dual tires on one side, a very short distance such as you described. But I also think that roadside assistance should cover you, however that would depend your specific policy of whoever provides the service. Also depends on whether you want to have the rig towed, or have the tire repaired/replaced in your driveway.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
if your only going a mile and drive slow it should not be a problem. We drove our barth home (about 120 miles) with a flat on the inside rear dual. I would not recommend this as everyday practice but you should not have a problem...good luck!!

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I may try driving it-- don't know yet.

I used the wrong wording, the broken seal I was refering to is the tire bead or were the tire seals to the rim.
I did notice the last time I went and had my tires checked they left off the valve caps from the back tires. A valve cap would have prevented a lost of air.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb Rustige:
A valve cap would have prevented a lost of air.

If it makes you feel any better (probably doesn't), I've been told that most cheap plastic valve caps nowadays are purely cosmetic and do little to maintain tire pressure. Any substantial air loss will leak right out & through the plastic threads. There are more heavy-duty rubberized caps, but few shops use them since they're more expensive.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If understand correctly, the bead is now unseated. If you jack it up, you might be able to reseat it and inflate it in your driveway.

Good metal valve caps are under a buck. http://www.treefortbikes.com/2...-with-Core-Tool.html

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The load has to be taken off the tire entirely.

You should be able to work the tire back onto the rim with a very small pry bar.

If you have an air gun that'll fit the stem, and if you have a valve core wrench (and I suggest carrying one), remove the valve core, and blow into the stem with the air tank. That's how the tire guys do it. It's very hard to get enough airflow with the core still in place.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
ooohhhh...I did not realize the tire was off the rim. That changes everything. From past experience with that kind of situation DO NOT use ether and a lighter!!!

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Jack it up, take it off, and take it to the tire shop. Driving on it even slowly, you are taking a chance of causing damage to it that may not show up for a long time......usually at a bad time or place. And in the long run that will cost you a lot more in time and money.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
The tire isn't off the rim - it just isn't seated against it, about an 8th of an inch away.

I do have a valve core tool and don't know why I did not think of removing the valve core. You guys are right- the tire guys always remove it before filling an empty tire.

I'll call the road service number in the morning to see if it is covered. If they say no then I'll use the leveler jacks and my hyro.piston jack to get the wheel off the ground. AND- if that dosen't work - maybe that slow drive to the tire center.
It used to be I could check & fill them at the local gas station(two blocks away)until the new owner did away with the big air compressor they had and installed a new 25cent vending type which stops at 40lbs of air.
I read in the search area about adding an air line for filling your tires from the Barth air compressor- that sounds like a real good idea.

I was in a rural area several years ago in Missouri and the front tire of the Barth got a slow leak in it. I pulled into two different truck stops and they only had car type air service. I asked one of the truckers were the nearest truck stop was that had air for a motorhome and he said more and more areas are putting in those cheap little air machines that cut off at 40lbs. He did not know the area but did open the engine area of his truck and filled my tire from his truck air compressor. He said he added that to his rig when he got stranded with a very low tire and no place to fill it.

Jim

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
In addition to removing the valve, use a rachet strap around the tire to squeeze the bead to the rim. As soon as the pressure seats the bead release the tension on the strap, usually around 10 to 20 psig, you will hear the rim leak stop.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Thank you Lord--- My road service is responding and will be here about 3pm today at no charge.
Now that saves a lot in time,labor and cash for me.

Thanks for all the replies,

Jim

PS: I will still look into running my own air line from the compressor - just as a safety back up.