Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Virtues/drawbacks of a older low mileage Regal
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I know this topic has been discussed at length here, but older, low mileage coaches are appealing because of their price. I've seen an 88 with 31K miles here in the past. This is a machine that is shelved for extended periods of time, which is what I would do. What are the drawbacks and why would someone looking for a lower priced coach not snap one of these up?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You might find some useful info at this thread. Smiler

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I would think a good arguement could be made for both sides of this.

Pros...

The coach has a potential to go many more miles if the following are done.

• Replace the water pump
  • Replace the alternator
  • Replace all belts
  • Complete PM
  • Change transmission filter and oil
  • Replace all rubber hoses, install new antifreeze
  • Repack front wheel bearing
  • Replace fuel pump and rubber hoses to the engine
  • Flush brake fluid

These are going to be the biggest problems. A lower mileage coach will more then likely go thru all of these within the first 2 years.

You have to keep in mind that if you buy something with very low mileage you are going to have failures on seals. By parking a coach for an extended amount of time the bottom part of the seals are lubricated and the upper will dry rot. Axle, transmission, engine are all places where this could happen so expect a few seal failures.

The fuel system could have stale fuel in it. Expect to drain this down. If it runs then chances are you"ll be OK on this. If you're going to attempt to drive it and the fuel is old but it still runs put in an Octane Booster.

The good thing about a Barth is the all aluminum construction makes it worth while to invest in this type of coach. Your first trip should be close. Don't think your going to go far the first few trips out. Invest in a road service-towing plan. Chances are good you'll need it.

If you have good mechanical skills then your most of the way there. If not then your throwing dice. Expect to pay for things that will question your sanity. Treat this as a money pit. Always keep in mind that you bought one of the best coaches made. Do not expect a return on your investment.

Ok guys, besides Rusty's thread link what did I miss?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
    8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Allison MT647 Transmission
    Spartan Chassis
    Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
  •  
    Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Why replace the alternator and what are your thoughts on the condition of the cylinder walls?

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    The alternator has bearings in it. You could have crud built up inside. The exposed metal surfaces rust very easy inside of an alternator. The rust factor alone would usually cause a failure right off the bat.

The cylinder lining would be a concern of course but if you start it and it blows out oily smoke you wouldn't buy it. The items I mention might be ok and it might get you home or you might blow it up.

• Replace the t-stat
  • Tires - check for dry rot

I am letting you know about things that will fail sooner rather then later. These are items that should be of concern for a rig that was parked for a "long time". If you inspect these and feel that they are ok then drive it. The first couple of items to fail will be your water pump, alternator, coolant hose and belts.

I expect a seal or two to leak so I'm not counting those.

The real question is "how long has it been sitting?" My 91 coach @ 24,000 miles sat over a year and a half and the water pump failed the second year I had it. It was new when I got it so I felt I didn't need to replace it. My alternator failed in less than a year. It was new and I didn't feel like I had to replace it.

Both of those items were on my initial list to look at and they seemed sound to me. I also have no fear (except the wife) so I really didn't think either of these were that big of a deal. If your smart about these things and you have the capacity to get stuck without loosing your cool then let them slide. I can't make you change 'em, but if you want another layer of insurance then...

Now if your buying something off of Ebay or an auction and they said it sat for awhile maybe someone here could go out and look at it for you. Ask, the worst that happens is no one is close enough.

Dave bought a Barth and I think he blew the motor the first day. Someone else blew a belt and cooked there motor. Try to keep in mind that it will cost you money and the return on a resale will usually be less then what you paid or put into it.

Older, low mileage, poorly maintained coaches are a money pit. Go into this with Eeker eyes Eeker wide open.

Big Grin Unless your only paying $500.00 for it, then you should get your money back on it. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Spartan Chassis
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

•  
    Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Captain Doom
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    What Bill and other posters are indicating is that even though something may work well at the outset, many, many items are, due to age or disuse, quite frail.

It's much more convenient to replace those items in your driveway at your leisure, or have the work done at a local shop on your schedule, when the alternative is at the side of the road in the rain. At night.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
    Founder and Moderator Emeritus
    Picture of Dave Bowers
    posted Hide Post
    I have said in the past that if all you can afford is a $15K coach then you can't afford a $15K coach. My $15K became a $25K coach real fast. But you know what, at the time I bought it there were no $40K coaches I would trade if for. Now we are 6 years later and I would love to have a 30 foot Breakaway which are what around $35K now. But even then I would expect to put out maybe $3-5K the first year.

By the way if you can't chance the alternator and all that stuff, at least have all the belts, hoses, for the coach on hand.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Which engine can take little use better: diesel or gas, or does it make a difference? The coach I buy won't be used extensively, but I do want the convenience of having one on hand. Maybe I should re-think this. Dave, what did you spend the $10K on?

Captain Doom
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    Gaso engines don't need to be run as much; diesels are happiest when they're run a lot.

However, sitting idle does neither any good - any coach, gaso or diesel, should be run at least 20-30 miles evry month or so. Idling in the driveway is worse on the engine than letting it sit (and does nothing for the rest of the drivetrain).

Picture a motorhome like a horse - exercise it conscientiously and it will serve you well. Leave it idle, and it'll consume resources and return the favor by heaping excrement upon you.

I also run the generator 1/2 hour to an hour every month or two, also.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    Sound advice from Rusty. The Gasoline motor would withstand the lack of use better. The diesel is all compression with high tolerence injectors that will blow apart if moisture gets into it.

When running the gen set load it down instead of letting it run without a load. You want to work the gov and the best way to do this is under loaded conditions.

You must move the coach to keep the seals & clutches (AutoTransmission) happy.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Spartan Chassis
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Captain Doom
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    Well, Bill N Y, thanks again for overcoming my brainpfart - I turn on the A/C and microwave when I run the genset, to give it a load....the micro has the added convenience of the timer...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke