Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear bumper dust skirt advice wanted
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
On the way to Florida the dust flaps attached below the rear bumper came loose. I have been planning to repair/replace them for some time. They are in two pieces, so I removed the one that was hanging down and junked it.

I assume they help keep the toad clean but I have not run without so I'm not sure.

86 Barth has the whisker style which seems to work well, does not snag things as easily. The 98 has the slotted flap style which is heavier and sometimes drags.

Many of the newer "cool coaches" have huge heavy solid flaps with chrome overlays with the brand name on them. These seem to be overkill to me and a potential liability when backing in over a curb etc.

Getting to the point: I would appreciate comments on whether the flaps actually do much good, what style works best, where to buy, etc.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Remember I do not have anything keeping my toad clean. I just blow the excess oil from the Caterpillar 10.4 liter on the toad to keep it from rusting out.
Maybe the additional drag from the stone guard could reduce your fuel mileage. Even a quarter or an eight of a mile per gallon over a lifetime of travel adds up.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
While in Florida, most locals just grab a King Palm leaf or two and string them to the bumper. Thumbs Up

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Kevin I am leaning towards no skirt at all (easy default solution!)
Only problem I still have no undercoat for the toad. With over 11,000 miles I have yet to use 1/2 qt of oil. Never added any, never been below full.

Maybe just dump a little oil on the bumper now and then? ROTFLMAO

Heading for Meadowlark tomorrow morning

Have Barth, will travel

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
When you drive home, try Interstate 77 or Interstate 79. The mountains might get you a little undercoating on the VW toad.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve VW With over 11,000 miles I have yet to use 1/2 qt of oil. Never added any, never been below full.

At what mileage do you deasil guys change your oil??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
When you drive home, try Interstate 77 or Interstate 79. The mountains might get you a little undercoating on the VW toad.

That Smoke is blowing black as coal, 6 days in the mountains and I am going to make it to the Upper Popsicle tonight! Tooling Along

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
6000 is standard interval. I went 7500 highway miles no oil used. Still no oil down 4000 later.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I go between 6000 and 8000 miles depending on the oil I use.

Steve, I will be making some sort of skirt and maybe two. I use a quart in 2000 (leaking) and make a mess on the front of the trailer. I think I have a plugged crankcase vent, when I pull the oil filler plug, replace it with a sponge, the leak is much better and slower, probably 4000 miles a quart.

The second skirt will take some thinking. The engine room gets very very dirty with road dust. Not bad if I stay on paved roads but any short drive on gravel and it is pressure washer time. Of course with the leak that only adds to the problem. Not sure how I will divert the wind off the wheels and road.

That is where you guys with side radiator have it better. Rear radiator fills with junk quickly

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I think RV flaps are required, they make landing an aircraft much nicer, might apply to a Barth!!! Those big ole flaps on a 172 are fantastic!! Full flaps and a nice head wind ground speed is really low...

P30 chassis
350 engine