Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

From SC to ID
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted
Well we made it. Apart from the two snow/ice storm where my wife ended up in a ditch(lucky to be driving my F-350) and me drifting the Barth for about 150 feet(mind you I had the wife van on a trailer behind me too) the trip went well. The Barth did well. She seemed to use a lot of oil. She used about 2 gallons of oil over the trip of 2500 miles. Know that I think about it, maybe that aint so much for this CAT 3208. Let me know what yall think. I had no over heating or anything. She definitely slowed down a bit going up the steeper climbs especially when I fell out of the power band.
We are happy to be in our new home and be out of the Barth after 2 1/2 months of the "Barth Life". It was an experience that my family will be talking about for the rest of our lives. We look forward to taking trips to all the beautiful locations out in this neck of the woods.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Thank God you survived those adverse conditions.

sure hope you mean two QUARTS of oil, which would not be nearly as alarming at two GALLONS.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Gee, you had an almost uneventful trip, glad it all worked out in the end and that you are safe at your final destination.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One of the 3208's charms when it was introduced was its miserly oil consumption of 1 qt./1K miles; this compared to the DD 6-71 at 1 qt/300 miles and the Cummins 225/250 at 600.

2 gal over 2,500 miles is excessive for that engine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear you all survived you trip. SC will miss yall. Good luck. Thumbs Up

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post