Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mobile Dental Office Conversion Question
 Login now/Join our community

posted
How much work will be involved in converting a mobile dental office Barth? I’m trying to buy one long distance. All I know is that the inside has been gutted. Were there water tanks installed for the dental offices? Does anyone have a conversion photo gallery for one of these?

Posts: 2 | Location: Mississippi  | Member Since: 11-16-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site!

Wow. Tough question. There is so much variation among Barths to begin with and the specialized units even more so. That, and having been already gutted, leaves very little to go on.

There are 2 main areas of concern. Chassis and running gear are one. Was the unit maintained? Is it running? If not you will need to check brakes and tires first (safety) then see what the driveline needs to run down the road.

Second area is the coach itself. A dental unit would probably have had water and sewer provisions, and a generator system for the equipment.

Having been gutted we can't know what is left of it. Depending on your plans for the unit you will need floor, walls and ceiing covered at least. Then interior cabinets and furniture.

Appliances will likely be needed. Refrigerator, furnace, air conditioners and stove. Plumbing, toilet and shower, kitchen sink.

Having a blank slate allows freedom of interior design but you will be starting from scratch. A major project for sure!

I do not remember a specific thread on such a conversion but if you search this site you will find a great number of projects. Good luck. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Be cheaper to buy a Barth that was built as a motorhome. By the time you get all the stuff you need you will have far more in it than it is worth. I would not even take it if it was free.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Be cheaper to buy a Barth that was built as a motorhome. By the time you get all the stuff you need you will have far more in it than it is worth. I would not even take it if it was free.

Ditto!!!

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Lana,
I'd like to give some meaningful advice, but need to learn more about your goals, the size of the machine, and the existing infrastructure. If you have a skill set of your own with automotive tools, that is essential to a "budget".

Taking on a job like this is unusual, but Bill NY, Dave R, and myself have done such things. There are many here that have done "new engines" as well.

Half way down in this page you'll see some pictures from my project years ago.
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/4471045991/p/4

It is a matter of perspectives. In my case, I ended up with a (at that time, 10 years ago) 23 year old Barth, with "new everything".... I have been happy with the reliability of the parts I added, and the beds and tables and chairs I brought in are good.

If you have a dental unit, I would expect all the water tanks, and an exceptional generator (or two) for running the X-ray equipment.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
They said gutted, so probably no generator. BTW I converted a GM4106 highway bus and turned into one of the best coaches we have had. Did the whole thing myself back in the 90s and still put over $5K into stuff not counting the generator. I even took a night school course on upholstery so I could make my own cushions.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
back in the 90s

I've looked at pics back in the 90s and decided that whoever it was, it sure wasn't me. Some young guy ready to take on the world. ROTFLMAO

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post