Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ceiling Height
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm new to this site and to Barth. As I look for my future purchase, ceiling height is important to me. At 6'5" I realize I might have to duck for air conditioning units, but really would prefer to walk upright otherwise. A Regency I look at (on this site) has about a 6'4" clearance, exclusive of the air conditioners. Do other models have more head room?

Stick Miller - Americus, GA

Posts: 31 | Location: Americus, Georgia | Member Since: 05-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, gee, Thanks guys for all the help with ceiling height. I've been led to understand that "Barth would build you whatever you wanted". I'm really not prepared to spend this kind of money and then have to have my neck craned cross-country. All of the discussion about the time spent outside the unit is well and good but I think I might want to be inside sometime. If I've posted to the wrong thread, please inform me.

Stick Miller
Americus, GA

Posts: 31 | Location: Americus, Georgia | Member Since: 05-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Sorry Stick, but a 6'3"" bald guy might be able to stand up in our Regency without touching the ceiling. But, not if he had hair or was wearing shoes. Also, the ac units and sliding door frames to the bedroom and bath are a couple of inches lower than that.
BTW, we spent a couple of days at Georgia Vets State Park last month. We wanted to golf the course there but the tornado watches and thunderstorms killed that idea.
We spent a day wandering around Americus instead.
Loved your town! Hope to get back there next year on our way home from Arizona.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
first off, welcome to the forums. I guess I missed your original post as I try to say hi to our new members.

My Barth is on an Oshkosh chassis and I have alot of interior height room.

I'm 6'1" & the interior of my coach leaves me with an addition 7' of headroom. From the floor of my coach, to the interior roof height, I have 80". When you look at the interior photos, my head clears all of these drop down track lights with 2" to spare.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
A hardy welcome from me too, Stick. I'm thinking your post got stepped on right after you posted it, as I don't remember it either. A quick check just shows the most recent post in each forum, and if you got bumped right away many of us might not have noticed it.
Anyhoo, I have 74" to the AC and 76+" ceiling hieght.
Bill, do you suppose you have so much headroom because yours was a commercial coach before? Anyone have a Ford [Oshkosh] that was built as a motorhome to compare?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Bill, do you suppose you have so much headroom because yours was a commercial coach before?
Good Point Danny. But I suspect that the Oshkosh's had more ceiling and storage space height.
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Anyone have a Ford [Oshkosh] that was built as a motorhome to compare?
I'd like to know too. Here is another Oshkosh Ford Regal that was a MH. I cropped it a little but it seems dead on to mine.

If you look at the two views - I removed my grill and mirrors and placed it next to the other photo for comparison. Looks about the same here too for ceiling height.

Below the floor height is larger on mine than the other MH Pic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway has 76-3/4" ceiling height, not including light fixtures and A/C.

I don't know about prior year 28' Breakaways, as mine's the prototype of only five '94+s that I know of. On the '94s, the whole cabin was raised 8" to give more basement storage.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, sorry if I got a bit "testy". I'm frustrated by ceiling height and was hoping for a solution. Don, please give me a shout next time you're in Americus...I'll take you on a tour of the Bluebird factory - or what is left of it. I rode the train - yes we have an excursion train that runs from the Ga. Veterans state park to Plains on a semi regular basis - through the tornado that hit that area last month. Lots of damage, but mostly to pecan orchards. Thanks to all of you for your replies. I hope I can figure this thing outl Stick Miller