Forums    General Discussions    Dash is dead, starter gone too.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash is dead, starter gone too.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Well I took a little trip to Chicago this morning, all was gong well, all of a sudden the entire dash panel went dead. Got off the highway and into a Lowes parking lot.

Checked everything out, alternator was making power, lights, brake lights all worked fine, shut it off and ate a sandwich. So I restarted, it did not like the normal starter mode, so I kicked in the AUX start and it sounded fine and the engine started. I did not know from what tank the fuel was being used, so I stopped and filled both of them. Same problem with the starter but it did start again, I did have to jump the electric fuel pump to the battery, it was not liking pulling fuel through it.

Drove the 125 miles back to Iowa, no dash instruments, oil pressure, alternator gauge, fuel level, could not switch tanks, no water temperature. Backed it in the driveway and shut it off.

I thought I would put it up on drive up blocks, this time no power to the starter at all, AUX did nothing also.

So likely subjects, ignition switch and starter? Tomorrows job.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a main feed from the batt to the coach. My 86 has several wires (about #8 or so) which tap off the main cables to feed the engine harness, etc.

Check the aux relay connections. Both batts hook to that and there may be a feed wire split off from there. Also a main feed often splits from the big cable on the starter. There may be a main feed splitting off the alternator also. I suspect loose or corroded connections.

Good luck. In a few minutes we'll see if mine will start after resting here for five weeks. Heading back to Starke today. Wifi is better there.

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well Steve I did put a starter in it a few weeks ago, something may have come loose, I'll start there.

I hope all started well in your coach, safe trip!! I see you are taking the long way coming back up north, spring has yet to arrive up here!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Duane it appears that you have a similar problem to Dave and Lynn's you posted this:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Check the AUX starter solenoid and starter along with the battery separator. I had a similar problem, mine was the AUX solenoid. Drained my main battery when I turned the key.

Your post is on this page. Could lack of use caused this situation where the batteries were not used all winter?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Yes, except no smoke, nothing seemed to overload, my headlights, brake lights still work. Peculiar huh!!! Trying to get up the courage to go take a look!! Still cold outside!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Batteries are all up to snuff so that part is working. Race time gives me a reason to not delve deeper! lol

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So the race was not that good, I started with the Glassnose it is no longer satisfied with giving me one problem at a time. I found a whole fuse panel I did not know existed, started checking fuses in it found a 25 amp blown, replaced it and the dash instruments were back alive. Whoopie!!!

I may have caused this, I added a temperature gage with a light and the electric fuel pump to this circuit, took it awhile to blow though.

The starter is another problem, I replace it a few weeks ago and all seemed fine, now the amp draw is really high, the chassis battery will not turn it over any longer and now adding the AUX does not do it either. Going to pull it out soon, snow and rain due so have to wait a few days

Final problem, my onboard dc power supply seems to have gone amuck, needs further investigation.

I love this machine!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
starter gone

With the "Starter gone" Duane, how could you have any amp draw at all? Maybe the dangling wire from the missing starter is shorted to the block?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Kevin, what I meant by "Starter gone" is it barely wants to turn over and draws all the power my batteries have. The starter might be in Minnesnowta.

Steve if you read this 6 inches of snow here!!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The DC power supply was not a big deal either, something must have gone amuck in the power system, seems this was blown circuit breaker in the 110 fuse box. OK only the starter is left to deal with.

Snow from this morning is almost melted, so tomorrow I might get at this one.

I feel a bit like the redheaded stepchild, folks here are always improving their coaches, adding upgrades, all cool stuff. I am almost always in repair mode, pardon my feeling sorry for myself. One day I may get to upgrade mode too!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Duane You are not alone in the "repair" mode. When I first got my Breakaway, it was constantly in repair mode. I was using it a lot so it was repair mode for over one year.

Then gradually the repair mode was a combination of repair/upgrade mode. Many things were not maintained well or incorrectly made/installed at the factory. My electrical panels both AC and DC where a BIG MESS!

As far as the starter is concerned, it sound like there is an internal short (big one!) in either the starter or starter solenoid. Some thing metal could have gotten lose and fallen across the starter input after the solenoid. Taking the batteries down quickly should have produced lots of heat and or smoke some where.

Better days are coming.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as the starter is concerned, it sound like there is an internal short (big one!) in either the starter or starter solenoid. Some thing metal could have gotten lose and fallen across the starter input after the solenoid. Taking the batteries down quickly should have produced lots of heat and or smoke some where.

I would think you are right should have been lots of smoke, but there was not, I had the dog house open and no electrical burning smell or smoke. Oh well tomorrows job lol Thanks MWrench See you in Minnesnowta

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I took the starter out yesterday, the solenoid wire was burned to a crisp and broken, no wonder it would not turn over even with the AUX assist.

I had just bought the starter, so I took it back to O'Reily auto parts and they said it was drawing a bit high on voltage, but passed their test, he gave me a new one anyway. I guess I should take Benebob's and SteveVW's advise and change all the wires and upgrade to a new era starter, but being a stubborn guy, I ran a new wire to the solenoid will get the new starter in today and see how it goes.

Funny situation here, there is a remote solenoid supplying the starter solenoid, maybe an 8 gauge wire feeds this solenoid, but only a 10 gauge feeds the starter solenoid. I replaced the 10 with a 10 now I am thinking I should have gone with an 8 gauge wire. I did solder all the connectors not just crimp them. Oh well we shall see!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The double solenoid seems strange for that application. I see it regularly on larger boats and would expect it on pusher coaches where the switch is distant from the starter. The first solenoid carries the juice to close a higher capacity solenoid for the starter load. Like you I would expect the first solenoid to have a smaller gauge wire than the second. Good luck, Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok I am back to hating the P30 engineers again! The top of the starter solenoid, it is bakelite I assume, is so close to the exhaust manifold it burns away. I posted a pic in another tread awhile ago showing a hole in that plastic, I thought it was just broken when installed, but I am now sure it has just burned away and will with this starter too.

I thought all the burned up wires were from heavy current, but now I think, when I installed the new starter I was just not careful and did not notice how close they were to the manifold.

So you guys that have installed headers have saved yourselves more problems. Changing the cables that run to the chassis and AUX batteries is a good idea, I guess I should have paid attention to those that have given me good advise. I have moved the wires as far from the manifold as possible and I am back on the road again. For how long is anyone's guess!!!

Surprised me that everyone with a 454 and standard manifolds has not had this problem, or is it a single year item?

P30 chassis
350 engine