Forums    General Discussions    Cummins Engine??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cummins Engine??
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Did Barth ever use a Cummins engine? I have found a 1989 listed with a 350 Cummins. Not sure if it’s accurate. I’ve seen Caterpillars, few Detroit and the gas Ford and Chevy. I would like to know from you all that have knowledge on these coaches. It’s 38 feet and wonder if it’s possibly the Cat 3208 and they think it’s a Cummins. Thanks

Posts: 12 | Location: Kansas | Member Since: 11-07-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Barth used Cummins engines in both the Breakaway models and some later Regencies. The Breakaways usually had 5.9 and the Regencies had 8.3.

The 8.3 Cummins was usually 300hp with some at 325. I have not seen stock engines of that vintage with 350 hp.

Both are straight sixes. As you suggested, they may not have the engine right. Most earlier Regencies had Gillig chassis and Cat 3208 engines of 250-300hp. Some were made with 8.3 Cummins but due to the short engine bay in the Gillig chassis the longer sixes would not fit. Those coaches had a Spartan chassis.
Should be easy to tell a straight six from a V8.... hmm

A 1989 would usually have a 4 speed Allison trans. 6 speed did not come out till later.

A good inspection would be valuable.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info. How do you easily tell the difference between the Regency and the Breakaway models?

Posts: 12 | Location: Kansas | Member Since: 11-07-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Regencies were larger, usually 34 up and had full air suspensions, mostly Gillig some Spartan. Breakaways were usually 30 to 34 ft and had spring suspensions, Spartan chassis.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m waiting for a photo of the ID tag so I can confirm the specs. Giving what I know so far it’s probably a Regency being it’s 38 feet. What we don’t know is who made the chassis. You mentioned Spartan and Gillig. I know how to tell if it’s a straight six but wouldn’t it have the bigger Cummins engine? You mentioned the Breakaway had the larger engine but their chassis is shorter. Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis:
I’m waiting for a photo of the ID tag so I can confirm the specs. Giving what I know so far it’s probably a Regency being it’s 38 feet. What we don’t know is who made the chassis. You mentioned Spartan and Gillig. I know how to tell if it’s a straight six but wouldn’t it have the bigger Cummins engine? You mentioned the Breakaway had the larger engine but their chassis is shorter. Thanks

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Barth used Cummins engines in both the Breakaway models and some later Regencies. The Breakaways usually had 5.9 and the Regencies had 8.3.

The 8.3 Cummins was usually 300hp with some at 325. I have not seen stock engines of that vintage with 350 hp.

Both are straight sixes. As you suggested, they may not have the engine right. Most earlier Regencies had Gillig chassis and Cat 3208 engines of 250-300hp. Some were made with 8.3 Cummins but due to the short engine bay in the Gillig chassis the longer sixes would not fit. Those coaches had a Spartan chassis.
Should be easy to tell a straight six from a V8.... hmm

A 1989 would usually have a 4 speed Allison trans. 6 speed did not come out till later.

A good inspection would be valuable.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp