Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

GPS
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
I would like to start a discussion on GPS for our Barths. I have seen on Ebay the Delorme units with software that has voice commands etc. What is the consenses of the "Groupe"? I know there are experts on the site, lets hear from them!

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Don on one of the other sites that i spend time at they just had a discussion about gps units. These are bus sites so alot of what is there will not apply to barth owners but on the other hand there is a lot that will be of interest to everyone. ( it never hurts to have more than one source of info...right Dave? ) anyway try www.busconversions.com or www.busnuts.com/bbs/ and look thru their recents posts and the archives for info.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok i screwed up one address.. it should be www.busnut.com/bbs/ put an s in there by mistake. However i found out that you can also go to Busnuts.com which is another site that i haven't seen before... guess i better go do some exploring!!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
The discussion topic on GPS is a good idea. I'm was going to purchase the Delorme 2004 Street Atlas and GPS unit tonight, it sells for $130 and connects directly to a laptop. It looks like a good but inexpensive unit. I'll wait and follow this thread. I checked a couple of other forums and it is getting good press there. You can check it out here; http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/configlaptop_info.asp. I sure would like to know what you folks think. Bill

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi All:I think Dave might be the GPS man.Best Jay&Shelby:

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to www.busnuts.com and click on mega-links for all kinds of websites...4 or 5 just on gps info. I just spent the last couple of hours looking at different types of sites there and my eyes are crossed so i gotta take a break...lots of info on anything you can think of, i printed out a copy of the list just to put in a notebook i am compiling of useful info for reference for when we go fulltiming.

posted Hide Post
Greetings,
I am using my third Garmin unit recently purchased along with a couple of cds that load from a laptop. This newest Garmin is the GPS V and is quite adequate for my purposes. The larger ones are quite expensive and use color which is nice, but not necessary. I have used the Garmins for navigation in the mountains while hunting, on the highway while traveling, navigating on Lake Michigan in less than optimum visibility, and lastly while flying an ultralight. The size is an advantage for me. It will run off the 12 system on each of the vehicles I use plus it has a long backup battery life. I would suggest that one consider a unit with an external antenna, (mine has an antenna mounted on the unit itself)but there are actual external antennas that can be mounted on the roof. I mount mine on the side window of the van with a suction cup device from RAM Mounts. It sees the satellites just fine in that mounting. Using one of the accessory cds, like Roads and Recreation there is a wealth of information available to the user about the highways in a given section of the country. Even the basemap which comes with the unit is quite good for information like exits on the freeway and the services there. Further the GPS V has a function of "autorouting" and will select a route to a chosen waypoint. If the driver decides that the autoroute is not the best for any reason (like missing a turn) the device will recalculate the route. Missing a turn is unlikely since the GPS V will warn you with a chime of an upcoming route change. If one chooses one can load "City Select" information that comes with the GPS V for selected cities and actually navigate to an address in that city. In all fairness, I have no experience with the DeLorme model and it may be just great at a lesser price. Certainly gps navigation is a fun thing and can help with travel.

------------------
Jack

Posts: 2 | Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI and Fountain Hills, AZ | Member Since: 11-27-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We have used the Delorme product from the beginning. It has been a very valuable addition to our traveling. I especially like the software. Deb is really the expert on this and she not only runs it on the laptop when we are in the coach but also her PDA when we are in the car.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I have used gps on the water and would not be without them. Almost any will suffice, preferably one that will accept pc uploads and has WASS. On the water I have trails that look like super black lines going thru 50' wide cuts that have traps set by the Corps of Engineers. So far no lost props, struts or shafts. Not bad, 13' beam giving less than 20' safety margin per side.
I think Garmin is generally more user friendly in both programming and use but I have a Magellan and have not found a good reason to complain. Helping deliver other boats I have used the high end systems and find the advantages not to outweigh the Major Price difference. If I win the lottery I would opt for the high end, I would also install flat panels in all state rooms and put on gimballed sat reception.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I have installed a holder for my Garmin 195 GPS I use it in my Aeronca Champ and I use it in my Barth. I drive my wife nuts checking that thing looking for airports to stop and look at. Never know when you might find a L-19 Bird Dog looking for a new home. The moving map only has major highways and it shows a little airplane moving along where there are no roads when you are out in the middle of no where. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
We have a Garmin Street Pilot III and it has taken us through many strange and unfamilier places with ease plus there are many other features such as altitude, exact speed, distances between waypoints, etc, etc, etc. I get a little tired of the lady's voice from time to time telling me to keep right, but it's saved me from many wrong turns when I have no idea where we're going. We move it from coach to toad easily and we have liked it very much. And we can actually turn her off unlike some human versions we've encountered elsewhere and still get all the visuals. It's time for the update as the current software doesn't have a lot of the new roads and exchanges but overall, I would rate it excellent!

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
I bid & won a Delorme on Ebay, and I'mm anxious to get it and try it out. We also bought a 85 Honda accord w/ 86,600 mi on it to use as a toad. I am having a hard time locating the plates to hook up to the tow bar I got. If anyone can help on the aquasition of Demco tow plates for an 85 Honda I sure would appreciate.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Try rvaddons (I just typed that in my address bar and got their website) I got a Demco tow bar and Suzuki Sidekick base plate from them two years ago.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post