Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Just got our first Barth and saying hi
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
Just got home from picking up our first Barth (the one from Ogdensburg, NY) a little bit ago. Made the nearly 400 mile trip without incident. Not only is it our first Barth it is our first motorhome (had a pop up for the past 9 years) so we have quite a learning curve ahead of us and I'm sure once I've figured out what all the buttons are for, I will have questions about what they do.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
You always get warm welcomes when you get a beautiful and historical Barth. cheers
Please send a picture of your data tag to:

barth_upload.61972@uploads.photobucket.com

from ordinary email. We might be able to tell you a little history on the Barth you now own.

When sending the email put 0000 in the subject line of the email. That is four zeros and not four oooo or OOOO.

Or if there is no history yet we will start history file for you!

Cheers and Welcome again.

Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the family. We love seeing pictures here.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
This has to be your new BARTH!

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
That's her. Overall great condition inside, 7 out of 10 outside. Does have some cloudy corners on the windshields and could use a bit of touch up paint in spots but very solid. It does have a strange squeal that developed about an hour from home. It randomly squeals for about 2 seconds (almost sounds like a belt squeal but far to short for that). Coming from the engine bay. Does it maybe ever 10-15 minutes and no common driving condition. Other thing that needs looked into soon is the brakes, they are quite poor and it pulls when you press 'em pretty good (both ways so yet another oddity). Aside from that she drove pretty well, cruises nice around 70mph. Got about 7.5-8 mpg today.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The brake symptom is that of bad hoses.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm with Rusty on the brake hoses. Replace everything that's rubber. The squeal sounds like the clutch fan kicking in and the belt slipping for a bit before it gets turning. You may hear a dull roar after the squeal, which would indicate the fan is engaged. This sound is proper, not an indication of a problem. Hope you have as much fun with her as we've had with ours.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site. Nice Barth, my favorite paint scheme! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Welcome & congratulations cheers , from the western side of PA .
Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the welcomes. Glad to see the site is as active as it is as I rely on forums to keep all our oddballs running. We have 3 Jags, a Triumph Tiger and a TVR in the litterbox so I have been off and on looking for a Barth for about 5 years. Our pop up frame broke on our last trip and it just isn't worth the effort to fix as we had pretty much outgrown it anyways. This Barth fell out of the sky at the right moment for a nice price. While not perfect and it does have a repaint it does seem quite solid. I will look into the hoses over the winter. A quick look on Rock Auto shows they should be available pretty cheap. Was planning on doing a fluid swap anyways. Might even look at replacing the calipers, wheel cylinders, pads and shoes as well at the same time just to know they are fresh. I do have a stack of receipts to look over first though.

Bob, nice to know I got another 25fter so close. Will actually be going out your way tomorrow to do some work on a vacation rental we have at Blue Knob.

I do have a question. Where is the washer fluid res. Can hear the motor running but not getting fluid out of it.

Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile. Mine is a 25 foot regency on a chevy p30 chassis, and I had a similar problem with my brakes . It pulled to one side really bad. Only one caliper was working because the hose on the other side was stopped up. I had both front hoses and the center hose in the rear replaced about 3 years ago and have not had any problems with the brakes since. You'll find there's something that always needs fixing or improved, but we have really enjoyed ours. My next project is going to be replacing the gaskets between the exhaust manifold and the tail pipes. I can already tell that the bolts are going to break off and be a real buggar to get out, but that's what you expect.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
I said regency but I meant regal. I'm just a regency "wannabe" as Kevin said in another post. By the way my windshield washer reservoir is in front of the radiator to the right side, when you open the front grill opening.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Benebob , The washer fluid res. is were Jerry said on my 25 ft. barth too

Jerry , when taking the manifold bolts out of the 454 , use an impact & most if not all will come right out . They did on my old 454 anyway .

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Cool I found it, it is all cracked up so my guess is it is leaking. Took it to get the title work done today and the brakes seemed a bit better but still not great. I do have receipts from 2012 where both calipers were replaced as were the rears, new pads and new hoses so I wouldn't think that was the problem. Any idea what it might be out of? Also, I have 10 days to get it inspected here in pa since it was out of state. This is what I know I need to get working beyond the windshield washer so any advice would be great.

1. Electric mirrors not working. No noise on either side when you use the toggle. (ideas on where the fuse box is as it is worth checking that first)
2. The mirror mounted lights aren't working. I am assuming they are turn signals right so they should work with the turn and hazard.
3. The dash lights for the high beam isn't working (also the light beside it I am assuming that is a fog right or is that for low beam. If low beam that isn't working either. If it is the fogs then any idea how to turn them on?