Barthmobile Portal
1975 Barth 20

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/2233951897

03-13-2023, 02:44 PM
Mike A.
1975 Barth 20
We just bought this 1975 Barth 20 footer. It is mostly in originally condition inside but the motor needs replacing. I have so many questions!
1. It has the number “22” by the side entrance door. Not sure what that means?
2. I wonder how many of this particular model were built?
3. A new engine (Chevy 350) will cost about $7000 installed. Is it worth it? Restored and on the road - what would be her value?
Excited to have her. I think she looks amazing for her age.
We paid $1000.00 for her.
Open to learning as much as we can!
03-13-2023, 02:58 PM
Dana
quote:
Originally posted by Mike A.:
We just bought this 1975 Barth 20 footer. It is mostly in originally condition inside but the motor needs replacing. I have so many questions!
1. It has the number “22” by the side entrance door. Not sure what that means?
2. I wonder how many of this particular model were built?
3. A new engine (Chevy 350) will cost about $7000 installed. Is it worth it? Restored and on the road - what would be her value?
Excited to have her. I think she looks amazing for her age.
We paid $1000.00 for her.
Open to learning as much as we can! [FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Welcome
1 22 would be the length.
2. There are no accurate numbers on how many. We only know what is listed in the Data Tag Project. Those are ones who have reported or others have seen the Data Tag. The Data Tad should be behind upper left of the pilots chair often behind the windshield curtain. Finding that and giving that number to us will give us some insight into what you have. I have a 1972 no drive train as my deer camp. My driver is a 1997 Monarch.
3. Value is what it’s worth to you. Most here do there own fixes and replacements so labors of love are not calculated. Hard for anyone to put value for you.

That’s just my 2 cents

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth
03-13-2023, 05:29 PM
Duane88
Welcome, sounds like you have a unique Barth.

Don't let costs lead your thoughts, if you like the coach do what fits your budget and just enjoy what you have.

If it were mine and needed a new engine, a junk yard LS and transmission would be my choice. Fuel injection, and a very sturdy engine with cheap upgrade parts. Probably about the same cost as the 350.

I have had 3 Barth's and loved all of them. My current love is a 1971, 24-foot class "A" with a 350 engine, needs lots of love, will it be worth the money and time put into making it roadworthy and livable, probably not, am I going to do it anyway...damn sure!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
03-13-2023, 05:41 PM
Steve VW
Welcome to the site!

Good luck with the care and feeding of your new dinosaur coach. Barth built trailers from 1964 to 1970. From 1970 to 1997 they built high quality coaches from 20 to 40 ft. Due to the aluminum construction and quality many survive to this day.

You are obviously familiar with the market value of your coach as is. This is about what the scrap materials would bring.

Fully operational coaches are worth more, but we live in a throw away society that seems to have forgotten many vintage vehicles. Old wooden boats, airplanes, rvs and cars don't have a strong market any more.

If you are lucky, when you get your coach fixed up and running you can sell it for what you have spent on it, maybe. If you do the work yourself you have a better chance.

I had a 33ft Regal for a few years. Bought it for $10,000. Replaced almost everything on it myself. Engine, trans, brakes, tires, ACs, suspension parts, etc. Spent at least another $10,000. I drove it for over 40,000 miles, then decided I needed a bigger coach. I sold it for $12,500. Lost some money. That's the bad news...

The good news... I enjoyed working on it and I really enjoyed using it. Since 2011, I drove it 40,000 miles, made lots of great friends, had many, many good times. I sold it, (the buyer did well..!) How many great old coaches are ready for the road?

Meanwhile I bought my 37 ft Barth Monarch. Drove it about 30,000 miles so far and I winter in Florida with it. Paid $30K and I have about 50K in it now. I would not take 75K for it.

Bottom line, when you look at what new and used modern coaches sell for, our old coaches begin to look better. When you consider lower payments, insurance costs and the great times you can have in a vintage coach it begins to even out. I can't begin to put a value on the friends I've met and the experiences I have had with my Barth friends. Priceless.

Good luck with your personal time machine, may it serve you well! Thumbs Up
Here's hoping you can learn about old RVs and you can enjoy yours as I have mine. Search around this site, ask questions. I hope we meet on the road someday.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
03-13-2023, 08:04 PM
Ian and Lynnette
Sooo... is your Barth a Class C? or a Class A? Could you post a photo of her?

PS: have been in touch with Mike A., and it is a Class C. Good taste!