Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

To buy or not 89 28 Barth regal
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello everyone,
Hope I'm posting this in the right area.
I'm considering buying a 1989 Barth 28 regal.
454 powered. 85k miles. New tires but Alot of repairs needed.
Genny IHOP.
1 roof ac unit.
Fridge IHOP.
Some of the latches for basement compartments.
It needs a tune up and brakes. He was quoted $3000 for brakes and tune up.
The brakes I can pay a mobile mechanic to do the labor for $450 .
The paint has some bubbling underneath in a few spots. Nothing major.
I walked on top.
Solid but I could feel where the aluminum is delaminated from the sub structure.
She's not pretty but solid.
Do you folks think it would be worth buying for $2500?.
It's Alot of coach for the money but needs work.
I love the way these rigs are constructed.
Thanks to anyone who reads this and responds.picture enclosed I hope.
Thank you and God bless America.
Barronjr.

Posts: 13 | Location: san diego Ca. USA | Member Since: 10-07-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by aluminum delaminating from the substructure. The roof is just a sheet of aluminum riveted to the aluminum framework. If it's loose then there are popped rivets, an easy fix. $2500 sounds like a pretty good price to me, and if you are handy it would be a nice coach to restore.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tere and I loved our 28' Regal. Do you know any of the history of this one? Check the condition of the 1" tubing that holds the storage compartments in place. What is wrong with the brakes? Does it run ok? If you can take a picture of the data tag, we may have info in our data tag base on this Regal.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
take a picture of the data tag, we may have info in our data tag
Please get the data tag posted! Computer

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply and helpful information.
I'm going over today and will get the data tag photo..
Is this a p30 or p32 chassis on the 89 regal 28?.
Thanks again.
Barronjr

Posts: 13 | Location: san diego Ca. USA | Member Since: 10-07-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
New tires alone ae worth pretty close to your offering price. Probably nothing wrong with the top, might just make noise when walking between the roof braces. Sounds like a good deal if you are willing to put in the cash and labor to bring her back. We need folks like you to bring these beauties back to their original luster.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I found the coach and chassis numbers.
Coach.:88073549/28c/b
Chassis:1gbkp37w5j3318538.
Just bought her for $2000 and drove 2 miles to storage.
What kind of rivets do I need for the Barth.
I hope there aluminum so it doesn't cause electrolsis.
Thanks and waiting to hear back so I can get too work.. Thanks.
Barronjr

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the data tag number. It is not in our data tag list. Bill NY will be adding the data tag to our data tag list soon.
Please read the latest photo posting procedure in my post on this Computer page. The number you can now use to post photos is 3549. It goes in the subject of the email address you send to Photobucket.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
As your VIN indicates, you have a P37 motorhome chassis. Similar to the lighter duty P30 and P32, with heavier frames, springs, and brake options. Search this site for more info.

Sounds like it has good bones. Get those brakes fixed for sure. Suspension and driveline next.

Like any 30 yr old machinery it will need a going over. Research the site, lots of good stuff.

Compared to most other brands of old coaches, the Barths were pretty well made. As we say here on the site, you can fix them faster than they break.

good luck with your project Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using the search feature we are a wealth of information. I did a search on rivets for you. It turned up my post on closed end rivets and the place to buy them. Be sure to purchase the closed end aluminum rivets with an aluminum mandrel.

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the decoding. ..
And for looking up the correct rivets..
Barronjr

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barronjr:
decoding. ... Barronjr

hmm Decoding? Is your screen name the code for Ron Barr Junior?
By the way when you send pictures to Photobucket, you will find them here. If you have any questions about photo posting and linking to Photobucket, send me a Private Message.

posted Hide Post
Hello.
What size rivets do I need. Diameter and grip or length please.
Thanks
Pumped to start working on the Barth.
Thanks
Barronjr

posted Hide Post
You will need several different sizes. Buy several different sizes and keep them on hand. This will get your order up high enough to get free shipping. Different areas of the Barth had specific sizes. I keep many different sizes on hand along with a rivet gun to make repairs on the Barth wherever I go.

posted Hide Post
Kevin thanks,
Can you give me a list of some sizes I will need or should I just ask for an assortment?
Thanks again Kevin.
Barron.