Tools
Reply To This Topic

Getting a Toad ready
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Anybody have any experience with the systems used to disconnect the drive shaft to make a car ready for flat towing? We're thinking seriously about a toad for the Barth and it will probably be a Volvo with an automatic.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
I haven't personally done it (I use a tow dolly), but I've read a lot about toads at RVforum.net where the topic is discussed almost daily. If you haven't already do so, you need to see if your Volvo is even capable or recommended for 4-down towing. The owner's manual should have a section on how to tow the car. All Volvo's are probably not created equal, so it will depend on your year/make/model.

Beyond that, there's generally a lot of equipment to add. The drive shaft disconnect, baseplate for towing, and some sort of supplemental braking system. You may be talking several thousand dollars for the convenience. That's why I decided to spend a few hundred dollars on a tow dolly instead. Wink

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Anybody have any experience with the systems used to disconnect the drive shaft to make a car ready for flat towing? We're thinking seriously about a toad for the Barth and it will probably be a Volvo with an automatic.
Jim

Yeah. We towed an automatic Toyota RWD truck for years using a Remco driveshaft disconnect. Worked fine. I had gotten pretty good at crawling underneath and unbolting/rebolting the driveshaft, but grew tired of it as age and stiffness caught up with me. The Remco disconnect required just pulling a handle in the cab.

On the street, it was trouble-free, but required a little cleaning and lube when used off-road in mud or really loose sand. Just a water hose, air hose and Dri Slide. I finally stitched up a canvas boot/cat food can kluge that kept it pretty grit-free.

Remco also makes disconnects for FWD, I think.

Scotty is right about checking the particular model. It can get complicated, what with lubricatione and all.

Some parks are tacky about where or even if you store a dolly.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
it will probably be a Volvo

Jim, according to today's WSJ, your future parts support will be coming from China Frowner Mad

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, many rv parks charge to park a trailer and you must not leave it on your lot. If you go the tow dolly route and there is a selection of rv parks in the area of your destination it would be worth calling ahead.
Since it was time to replace our "second" car anyway I bought a used 01 Tracker 4 door when we got the Barth. Great little towed, because it has a transfer case and 4X4 is handy here in Az and at home in bad weather.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to bet that parks charging for a tow dolly would be a minimum, but probably depends on your region. I've never run into one in the 4 states where we camped FWIW. I just unhook our dolly and roll it most of the way under the rear of the RV, takes up almost no additional space.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Jim, Any Volvo questions you have I can answer. If you are towing A volvo with an A/T and rear wheel drive you need to disconnect the drive shaft or you will damage the transmission. If it is front wheel drive use a tow dolley. We tow our Volvo V70 with a tow dolley that has brakes on it so no need for a "Brake buddy" type braking system. The tow dolly can be a pain but we can deal with it. We have a hitch on the back of the Volvo to move the tow dolley around. We usually unload the Volvo and transfure the toy dolley before we get to the gampground. We also have a SAAB convertible 5sp that we tow with a tow bar, much easier to deal with but the wife wont drive the 5sp.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I saw this and thought it might be worth talking about.
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/rvs/1680048891.html

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Neil, I'm thinking about making the '73 142 into a toad for the '85 Regal. Do you think it's a little heavy for that 454?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Wow, an old 142. And I thought my 88 SAAB was old.

You should not have any problems towing the 142 on flat ground, The mountains of TN be a little slow. I pulled my V70 with my old Budget Barth up I40 at rush our, it was a bad idea. Next time I will let the wife drive it up the mountain. The gear venders you have should help I would think. The problem would be the brakes. You will need trailer brakes on the tow dolley or a "Brake Buddy" if using a tow bar.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post