Forums    General Discussions    Who has the youngest & oldest Barth?
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Who has the youngest & oldest Barth?
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Is it just me or does anyone else want to know who has the newest Barth?

1) The last one before they shut down the original factory.

2) The one they made when they tried to bring the Barth name back again.

3) The oldest Barth on the road.

Anyone know? Anyone care?

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 21, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I wasn't there so I can't vouch for sure, however, I was told that this was the last Barth built. It is owned by Keith Leatherman, the investor that ended up with the assets of Barth. He later gave everything to Lee Merriman the long time president of the Barth Rangers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 21, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Year, Model?

And I thought I got the deal. Lee was given everything? Including the coach?

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"does anyone else want to know...?" Perhaps not, but----It is PROBABLY a 1997 Monarch cause it has the UGLEEE "modern" standard paint scheme (although they all had Sikkens paint, and it is almost a surety those swoops aren't decals, but actual paint); 38'; Spartan Mountain Master Chassis w/Cummins 325HP 8.3 intercooled, turbocharged, w/Allison 6-speed. Is that a slideout I see? In late '96 they basically refused to build me a slideout, although I didn't really want one. And why no awnings?? 38' price $180K to $300k, depending on options (1996, remember - 9 years ago). At that time, I was told by Barth each additional foot in length over 32' was $15,000. Wonder if this was a speculative unit dealers wouldn't take??

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited December 21, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I know you were kidding Bill, but before others don't misunderstand, no Lee didn't get the coach. He got all the paper work. But I really don't know all that he got. He has kind of kept it under wraps. I think he has given files to some newer coach owners, but I am not sure about that.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
Is it just me or does anyone else want to know who has the newest Barth?

1) The last one before they shut down the original factory.

2) The one they made when they tried to bring the Barth name back again.

3) The oldest Barth on the road.

Anyone know? Anyone care?

I have a 1971 25' Limited that is still very good condition.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ceresco, Mi | Member Since: 10-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, what is the oldest unit you have in your CD. Didn't I see something that looked like a very small tow behind from the 60's.

Ok, pepepepe has a 1971 - How many miles? Anybody with an older date? I think there is someone with a class C from 71 that lives in Texas.

We have 772 members. Is 71 the first year they were self propelled? Did Barth start out as a tow behind camper company first?

Come on Dave - Dazzle us!

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 22, 2005).]

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
FMC Magazine 2001. I found this after typing in "history of Barth RV coach company" in google.

Barth Custom Coach Inc. started production of three type A motorhome models in January. The LS, Regency, and Premier range in price from $145,000 to $380,000.

Barth motorhomes were first produced in 1963. However, Barth aficionados will recall that the company closed its doors several years ago. Keith Leatherman of Leatherman Construction Inc. purchased the Barth name and tooling three years ago when existing owners were seeking to liquidate the company's assets. After manufacturing a variety of customized commercial vehicles, Leatherman officials decided to focus on producing motorhomes, and the company has been road-testing a prototype for about a year now, according to Wayne Fox, Leatherman general manager. The new Barth production facility is located in Albion, Indiana, approximately 30 miles east of the previous manufacturing plant in Milford, Indiana.

"Barth motorhome owners have been consistently loyal over the years and have gone to great lengths to support us in our endeavor," said Keith Leatherman, president of Barth's parent company, Leatherman Construction Inc.

The new coaches are available in lengths of 30 to 40 feet and in gasoline- and diesel-powered models. The gasoline-powered units are built on Workhorse chassis, and the diesel models feature Spartan chassis.

The exterior of Barth coaches are composed of Alucobond, a composite consisting of two aluminum sheets with a thermoplastic core. This rigid material is said to have strong sound and vibration dampening characteristics. Customers can design the floor plan and select colors, patterns, materials, and equipment for their coach.

Barth expects to manufacture 14 to 18 custom motorhomes in 2001, Mr. Fox said. "We have no intention of trying to capture a large percent of the market or mass-produce class A motor coaches. Our mission is simple: custom build a luxury motor coach exactly the way the customer wants, at the highest quality possible."

Did they make any for 2001?

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
They didn't make any coaches. Their entire marketing plan was for happy owners to want to pay what ever for anything they make with the Barth name on it. Problem was, no slides, no plan, no money and the dot com bubble. The whole plan was ridiculous and I think a little insulting to the long term Barth owner. They were assuming that all these rich elderly people were going to blindly give them hundreds of grand down to build the first coach. Like an RV ponzi scheme..(not really but you know what I mean) they kind of courted me when I started this website but no plan, is no plan..

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 22, 2005).]

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Come on Dave - Dazzle us!
Let's give Dave a break. He has been dazzling us for years now and I imagine he would like to save his dwindling dazzle days for things more important. If the general membership is interested they'll respond - don't cajole goodhearted Dave into looking up arcane facts. Respectfully - G

------------------

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Trust me, I have no facts to dazzle you with. This whole thing with Leatherman lasted maybe a month or two until they quit answering their phone.

They made that announcement in the Motorhome Magazine that they were getting back in to business one month and I think they announced the cancellation of their plans just two months later.

I love and appreciate all of the kind words but there are so many more people out there that know so much more about the history of Barth than I but for some reason they have not chosen this website, or any other way of sharing that knowledge. One thing you will never hear from me is anything I don't know for sure and if it is a guess or an assumption you will know that because I'll tell you.

What makes this website so valuable is the extraordinarily talented people who visit the site and by chance they all turn out to be wonderful human beings at the same time. Tell me, is their just one person that visits this website that any of use would not be delighted to share a campfire with. Not a one in my opinion. And, some of you have dropped by the house here and we have shared a cup of coffee. Definitely some of the most enjoying times I have spent around our old oak kitchen table.

The only thing I do of value is hawk a few CD's to pay the bills. And you guys have come through for sure.

------------------

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
The only thing I do of value is hawk a few CD's to pay the bills. And you guys have come through for sure.

Now, this is what I'm talking about!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
don't cajole goodhearted Dave into looking up arcane facts. Respectfully - G

Ok, Spanked I am....

Trying to have a little fun. I still would like to know about the history. I have the CD but a pictorial doesn't tell the story. I like Dave's insight into some of the players who attempted to bring it back and not get anywhere.

I have a 72 Nova and have been to the Nova Nationals several times with my car. They talk about the age of the oldest vehicle, the one with the most mileage, the last one that rolled out the door, the one that traveled the farthest, etc with such passion. I guess I'm just into that type of stuff.

A Barth going down the Amazon. You don't get that kind of info talking about the weather... Pretty neat.

I think Dazzle sells. Maybe even a few CD's!

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 22, 2005).]

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
We may be drifting, but I met the "new" president of Barth in Oct 96, shortly after a cover story about Barth was published in RV News (Sept '96) - a huge puff piece. He struck me as an enthusiastic "used car salesman" caricature, and my perception may have been correct: he was gone and the company re-organized with a new President in July 1997; the '97 guy was a former Business Consultant from a Financial Consulting Firm, if memory serves. The primary investor/owner in '95/96/97 was an Indiana Nursing Home titan/politician named Miller; I don't know anything about Leatherman. I just found the story on-line and, in retrospect, it is very telling, esp the new name: Barth RSV (Recreational Special Vehicles). Check this out online:
RV-news.com/sept1996
PS: He did a great job on my coach!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited December 22, 2005).]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
Hey Dave, what is the oldest unit you have in your CD. Didn't I see something that looked like a very small tow behind from the 60's.

Ok, pepepepe has a 1971 - How many miles? Anybody with an older date? I think there is someone with a class C from 71 that lives in Texas.

We have 772 members. Is 71 the first year they were self propelled? Did Barth start out as a tow behind camper company first?

Come on Dave - Dazzle us!

My 1971 in Michigan has just over 150,000 on it.It got a new Mr.Goodwrench 350 installed at 112,000.It has 16" Radials and run and drives excellent.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ceresco, Mi | Member Since: 10-31-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepepepe:
My 1971 in Michigan has just over 150,000 on it.It got a new Mr.Goodwrench 350 installed at 112,000.It has 16" Radials and run and drives excellent.

I think you have what people fondly call a toaster. Do you have any pictures?

------------------
1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission