Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Any Barth owners with a CAT 3208
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted
We are finally ready to purchase a re-built Cat 3208 engine for the Regency, but the Cat dealer is telling us he needs an engine ID# from someone - anyone - with a Barth that had a Cat 3208 originally installed in it. Anyone out there with a coach that has the 3208 engine who would be willing to share the engine id # with us, would you please post the number or send me a pm. THANKS!

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Lorelei,
What engine was in your coach? My '89 has a 3208T 250hp. I'll go out tomorrow and get the number for you. If you have your manuals, it might be written in the Cat manual.
It's good to have another Barth in California...not a lot of Barthers here in the west. Perhaps we're gathering a large enough group to one day have a West Coast G-T-G.
I'm just southwest of Fresno
Herb

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Lorelei,
The original owner wrote these #s in the manual
Ser # 02Z36132
AR-7C4789 (don't know what this # is)
Hope this helps,
My email is: herbmaryalice@aol.com

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
Hi Herb:

Thanks for your response to our post. Would love to see a West Coast GTG. We have some really great places to stay along the Northern Calif. Coast.

Our coach had the Detroit Diesel 8.2, which seized approx. 1 week after we bought it, so we're looking to replace the 8.2 with a 3208.

I notice from your data tag # that your coach also has the Gillig chasis. Does it have an Allison 4 or 6 speed transmission? Ours has the Allison 4 speed, and I haven't seen any coaches with the 3208 that have a 4 speed.

Thanks again for your response.
Lorelei

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Lorelei, my coach has the 3208T cat 250 hp in it with the allison 647 4 speed transmission. If you need another number on the engine let me know.
I live north of Cleveland Ga where you bought your coach. I went down and looked at it for some one else and drove coach. Sorry you had trouble. When i drove the coach, engine seemed to be fine, of course i did not have it checked. When I bought my coach, I had the owner take it to a cat engine dealer and had them check out the engine and transmission. This cost about $220. They said the engine checked out fine and the transmission was fine and changing at the correct speeds. I bought in 4/06 and have not had no problems. I replaced batteries ans shocks. Sometimes I wish I had more HP! sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
To all on this thread, I'm in Louisiana and can't give you the numbers, but what he is looking for is called the arrangement number by caterpillar.

AR-7C4789 (don't know what this # is)

That is the number. it tells Cat how and where all the accessories are mounted on the engine. you will probably need it any time you buy an engine part.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
have cat 3208 86 regency nice engine ! will burn anything ! running 90% waste oil !

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the serial number is to identify the application and engine construction. My 1993 Regency has the 3208T (Turbo) with the Allison 4 speed transmission and its s/n is 02Z66385. The 02Z identifies it as a truck engine and the internals of the engine. I was able to purchase the manuals for this engine from CAT once we had the numbers. If you had, or want a Turbo 300 HP engine this is the series you want to look for.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for replies to the post. Tom, thanks for the ID#. 250 - 300 hp is what we're looking for, so this is helpful. We're talking to a Cat representative who is going to send a tech out to look at our coach. We've also been considering the new Cat 7. I guess it's computerized or has quite a bit of electronics, so we want to find out all about it before we decide. More anon.