Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TO PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT THAT IS --
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of tigger
posted
OK TROOPS I need opinions. I have an 85 Regal 31' I have to sell. The inside looks good and almost everything looks original. The outside looks tacky. There are a couple of dents at the back left rear and A couple of tree limb scratches, and the paint is just in crummy condition - dull and lifeless.
To get it undented and painted as original is gong to cost about 2000-2500.
So here's the question - Would a new paint job and a spotless outside increase my sale value more than the cost? I know it would with a house but I am not sure about an RV.

thanks
Tigger

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigger:
So here's the question - Would a new paint job and a spotless outside increase my sale value more than the cost? I know it would with a house but I am not sure about an RV.

Very likely NOT unfortunately. A sparkling exterior would no doubt attract buyers and probably get it sold quicker, but I'm almost 100% you would not reclaim the amount of money you put into it. RV's are more like cars than homes, when it comes to value... they depreciate from day 1, instead of gaining value. Barth's are a little insulated from this due to their quality and classic reputation, but not THAT much especially in this current economic climate.

Bummer that you have to sell. Frowner

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Scott is right. You only gain your own pleasure or utility when you put money into a vehicle, boat or airplane. Doing it for someone else is not repaid.

The only vehicles I have not lost money on were the ones on which I spent little or no money.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tigger, I was curious where you were going to have it painted. I'm starting that process, and the prices I've seen for having someone else do it were in the $6000/$7000 range. For $2000/$2500, I could drive it to Florida, have them paint it, and have a vacation at the same time.
Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
I got that ballpark from Cook's paint and body in Pensacola by taking them 4 color 8x10s. I'm going to drive the RV over there today to see if the price holds. and I'll let you know. I may have them do the dents only and then try to polish it up good.

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
and then try to polish it up good.

DuPont #7 compound, worked on a damp surface with a random orbit polisher & yellow foam pad will do wonders for dull & oxidized paint.....it'll look pretty crummy when you're done compounding, but any good grade of wax will bring it right back.
Just keep in mind that a shine will highlight dents & other surface defects.........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post