Forums    General Discussions    Getting Towed ... the right way!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Getting Towed ... the right way!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
I am writing this post so if anyone else breaks down they get the right tow truck to handle their rig.

During our 2009 WEST COAST tour we have had 5 mechanical breakdowns. 3 times we were able to limp into a campground, rest area or road shoulder but two other times we had to be towed since the problems wouldn't allow the engine to turn over so we were dead in the water.

Our first "no move" breakdown was just north of Albany, Oregon. Coachnet was given all the specs about our bus ... 30', Spartan chassis, 5.9 cummins diesel and the MOST IMPORTANT that we had a straight axle set back 7 feet from the front of the bus and low ground clearance below generator compartment. They dispatched a heavy-duty tow truck with dual wheels and a "hydraulic stinger" for lifting. After nearly 2 hours of fiddling around with shackle lifts, axle lifts & frame lifts he could not hook on anywhere without ripping or bending something on the bus. At that point he called for his company's flatbed. Great, I thought; This should be a breeze! I was wrong. At first they told me it was not necessary to remove my tow bar but after the bus was halfway onto the flatbed it was obvious it was going to hit. They released the bus enough so we could remove it. After removing the tow bar they started loading again but with 8 feet to go before the rear wheels got to the end of the flatbed our triple hitch was starting to drag. Since they did not have a "sports car extension" on the flatbed they used what they had ... a couple of blunt end 4 x 4's which they placed under just the two outside tires which bore the entire weight of the bus and squished the tires to about 12" wide x 2" high. they finally got it on the flatbed and if I wasn't watching closely would have bent my new shocks and steersafe by where they positioned the tie-down chains. After a 5 minute ride to the repair facility they repeated this same performance ... only in reverse. It took 4 1/2 hours to get our bus (safely) to the repair facility.

Our second "no move" breakdown occurred in the ghost town of Luning, NV (pop. 5) pix attached. This time we were towed by Cal-Nevada WHO REALLY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING!! These guys had a similar size truck as the guys in Oregon but they had a "wheel-lift" tow bar attachment which made all the difference in the world (pix attached). This tow bar attachment avoids ALL under-carriage obatacles and makes for a much safer tow. BOTTOM LINE ... if you must be towed insist on a company with a "wheel-lift" tow or a flatbed hauler with a "sports car extension" (aluminum or wood boards 10' - 12' long {with reinforcing shims to keep the boards from flexing in the middle.

Hope this helps someone else who may need a tow.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carl, good info indeed. There's been one time I would have needed a big rig tow... the day after we bought our rig and were 4 states away from home. Talk about temporary buyer's remorse! Anyway, I spent at least a couple hours and probably a half dozen back and forth calls with Progressive, who finally concluded that due to a nearby interstate crash there was NO tow truck within 100 miles that was big enough to pick up our RV. Eeker

We spent the night on the roadside, after a little tow truck showed up and hooked up some chains to pull us around the corner off of the busy street. I could have gotten the big tow the next morning, but instead got on the phone with several techs of our RV's various systems. We ended up blowing an aftermarket ignition module, and after bypassing the main coil wire back to the original setup... she fired right up! Then we drove ourselves to the nearby shop for the remainder of needed repairs. Wink

What caused all your various breakdowns, dare I ask?

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
What caused all your various breakdowns, dare I ask?

1. Leaky disc-brake master cylinder (lost brakes coming off a highway exit ramp)
2. Alternator bearings froze (smoke billowed out, as belt melted onto alternator before snapping)
3. Inside rear tire went flat just before exiting from the hwy (entire circumference belt became attached). This actually happened twice on this trip and 4 times before. We have since replaced ALL the Kelly Springfield tires that came NEW when we bought the bus in 12/2006. Don't buy KELLY SPRINGFIELDS. We now have 3 sets of 2 each (WANLI's from China), Goodyear & TOYO. The Wanli's are my favorite... lots of tread and they roll nice and smooth (they are on the front)
4. Fuel filter blew out (lower gasket incorrectly installed - made it 150 miles before failing)- 1st tow.
5. Engine just stopped. Still troubleshooting but it seems like the fuel pump solenoid has died. MWrench says it could also be the oil pump solenoid, fuel pump or oil pump. I will know shortly - 2nd tow.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Will be going thru Luning NV tomorrow, hope we will not need Cal-Nevada towing. They are good though. Back to work for us and trucking. Another important thing about towing: YOU call the tow truck, do not let the Highway Patrol call it. Your rate will be cheaper (yes you can negotiate), use NTTS for a list if you do not have Coachnet. If the cops call the tow truck the rates go sky high (we know from a tow truck owner friend). Never got towed in the MH but twice with our old semi.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Will be going thru Luning NV tomorrow ...

Thanks for the feedback Marvin & Doris. We do have CoachNet but appreciate the info about NTTS & not having a state trooper call.

We are staying in Hawthorne, NV at Whiskey Flats RV Park while I fix this puppy. The alternative was to be towed 90 miles into Bishop, CA where would have had to dry camp until tey could get us in or move into a motel.

If you are coming through Hawthorne, stop by Whiskey Flats for a visit.

Our phone # is 978-805-3114 & email cferen@ferenandcompany.com. Call or email if there is a time we can meet.

Carl Feren

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Carl and Betsy--so sorry you're going through all this difficulty. I guess you're really going to find out all there is to know about Hawthorne.
Hope all else is good
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
... I guess you're really going to find out all there is to know about Hawthorne.

Hawthorne is really nice and we plan to visit some of the ghost towns, the armament museum & the burro preserve while we are here(Betsy & I love burros & mules).

While I don't like to break down I always learn a lot about the bus and gain confidence in my ability to fix most anything. The advice I get from other Barthers has been invaluable. A lot of people on the site have provided great input but advice from Ed Raether (MWrench) & Rusty have been particularly valuable in trouble-shooting and fixing problems that applied specifically to us. We have also tucked away your info on replacing the roof for when we return to Texas.

Thanks for the post.

Carl

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Thank you Carl and Betsy, we truly enjoyed our visit and the "Barth tour". You sure got a very nice coach and it was good to see a Barth in good condition. we made it to Reno and if you need any motor parts from here let us know. We will reload, take a shower and head back down US95 this afternoon. Say hello to your fourlegged crew too.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
we made it to Reno and if you need any motor parts from here let us know

We really enjoyed meeting you both as did our furry companions, especially "ONYX".

I have just finished my emails and have instructions from Ed Raether (MWrench) for troubleshooting the fuel lift pump. We are going to test it shortly but so far we do not have a "parts list". We will post our results after we have done the tests.

Carl

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B