Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fiberglas Barths
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
There's a 1982, 35' glass Barth, a la FMC, on RV Trader in Mount Vernon, Wa. 250 Cat pusher, a few goodies, pricey at $31,500, though not in comparison to what I see them asking for FMC's.

I made an offer on an FMC 15 years ago, and researched them. I know they had a problem with heat rejection in the engine compartment, and the front ends were weak for the weight of the coach. The single transverse leaf spring sagged, and they had alignment problems.

I wonder if those problems were cured when Barth took over, and how the Barth rigs worked out. There must be very few out there.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
FMC went out of business in 1979 then Barth bought the company and came out with the coach you refer to in 1982. It sold new for up wards of $185,000.00. I have a copy of the original Motorhome magazine review of this coach in 1982. It is in pdf form and I would be happy to send it to anyone who requests it.

It is kind of a funny article because apparently Barth really duded up this one coach for the review. The reviewer stated something like "Barth offers 5 different interiors on the MCC and it appears they used parts of all five on this one coach". They went on to ask the poignant question, "what could anyone put in a motorhome to make it worth $185,000.00".

Every time I say a negative word about the MMC chassis on Barths I get some hate mail so I will only say this. The fiberglass unit was only made one year and then in 1983 they changed to the body we are all in love with.

Finally, is this '82 worth $31K. Well I suppose if someone is going to pay that much for it then I guess so... Lest I get more hate mail, remember that parts are only available from one source.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited September 23, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post