Tools
Reply To This Topic

Good Sam emergency road service versus AAA
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The latest is that I'm going to be towed to Macon, GA - about 80 miles away... head bang

Update: Bubba (Really his name) arrived, but his truck is too small... Roll Eyes They're sending a bigger truck.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bubba returned with a bigger truck; towed safely to the tow shop's place yesterday; this morning towed again to MHC Kenworth in Macon.

Oddly enough, the broken yoke (it was on the diffy, not the driveshaft) was repaired before the lift pump even arrived.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I hope you had the ignition on to improve your mpg.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pgh. Pirate:
ignition on to improve your mpg.

Hmmm would the ignition need to be on to clock miles on a mechanical odometer? I bet one of the original Barth owners here would know for sure. Seem to me the old cable drive system would not need electricity to clock miles. Mine has a magnet on the front wheel. I guess not, but when the vehicle is towed with the front off of the ground, the front wheels do not clock miles. There is some interesting thought here Ted may come from your joking comment, creating a serious thread drift. Sorry

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The tranny was disconnected, so mileage wouldn't be clocked.

Back on the road yesterday - at Cagles' today for a week.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Epilogue: I've had to have the coach towed four times, all for failure of new parts:

1. Failed master cylinder, 1½ years old
2. Sheared P/S pump shaft, 2 mos. old
3. Sheared P/S pump shaft, 7 mos. old
4. Failed lift pump, 7 mos. old

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Epilogue: I've had to have the coach towed four times, all for failure of new parts:

1. Failed master cylinder, 1½ years old
2. Sheared P/S pump shaft, 2 mos. old
3. Sheared P/S pump shaft, 7 mos. old
4. Failed lift pump, 7 mos. old

Who is selling you the parts? I do not want have to test my AAA towing service just yet.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First 3 were direct from Spartan; lift pump was (IIRC) NAPA. I also had two shaft brake actuators from Spartan leak by. I think the issue with Spartan is that the parts spent too much time on the shelf.

billyt53 referred me to a shop near his that overhauls brake actuators at a reasonable price, and one is installed now.

Back on topic: GS sent me the needed forms for reimbursement for the broken yoke ($883)

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke