Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Good Sam emergency road service versus AAA
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Had a terrible experience with Good Sam this weekend. The brass threaded nipple that holds the air bleeder on top of my 5.9 Cummins split. I called Good Sam and spoke to Keith. During the next two hours on the side of the road, Keith gave me a rapidly changing menu of options, after it too me about 15 minutes to get him to understand that all I needed was a brass plug. First, someone was on the way but no, they refused to come out. Then I could get towed but the shop would then have 5 days to repair me.Then I could get towed and they might work on it the next day.

Keith refused to let me talk to his supervisor. He then claimed he was getting the supervisor but put me on hold for 20 minutes. I hung up, called my mechanic who explained over the phone that I could remove the treaded brass bushing that held the bleeder and screw in a threaded nipple with a plug on it. That and a gallon of antifreeze put me on the road again.

I camped with the Good Sam state director for MA who is working the issue for me. He said I would get a response from corporate within a week. I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, has anyone used AAA emergency road service for their coach? How did you like them? I may be switching depending on how GS responds.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
You should also seriously consider CoachNet ... https://coach-net.com/

I have never heard a negative review of their service from the many RV'ers who have shared stories online about roadside breakdowns.

In addition to your RV, they also cover any other vehicle you might be driving, renting, or borrowing at any time. There are a few exclusions but not many.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've had Good Sam for 12 years, and have no complaints. I've used it a few times (2 P/S shaft shears*), smoking alternator (road tech put the spare on), and a master cylinder failure*. Also used it once for a premature tire failure.

I used it recently when my new-to-me Chevy van showed fluctuating oil pressure after an oil change; I shut it down and got an 8-mile tow.

Nick Cagle has AAA, and he's also happy, but I know of only 2 instances where he used it for the coach.

* All three of these were on new units!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Used my AAA RV Plus to get a tow at London, KY in February. On time (near an hour). Towed coach and trailer to Peterbuilt dealer. No problem.
Five years ago, Barth ran out of fuel @ 415 miles since last fill (cuz I hadn't noticed I'd exceeded 400 range) near Effingham, IL. AAA promptly dispatched road service with fuel, albeit a pitifully small can of it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Is there a limit on how old your coach can be to qualify for Good Sam or AAA road side service?

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I have had Sam' several times (currently now). Have never heard of any restrictions. Give them a call...................Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I was at a regional Good Sam meeting this weekend. The MA director submitted my information and I am awaiting a reply.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have towing coverage on my State Farm policy. I have to pay for the tow and they will reimburse. Used it once years ago. Also really cheap.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Richard , I just signed up for good sam roadside service & am wondering , did you ever get a reply from them ? Thanks,Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have towing coverage on my State Farm policy. I have to pay for the tow and they will reimburse. Used it once years ago. Also really cheap.

Also looking for towing coverage. (Everything I own is insured with State Farm. I really like their service and there pricing can't be beet.)

Gary, you and I have the same coaches. If you don't mind, can you roughly tell us your towing coverage and cost (or pm me if desire). I will then have something with which to compare my SF agent's quote. Thanks.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I have yet to get a response. I did find out that the problem is caused by Good Sam's billing procedures and the slowness with which they pay. I am very disappointed with them to say the least.

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Good news,,
After I sent an email to Marcus Lemonis, Good Sam VIP, I received a phone call within an hour. They apologized, are launching an investigation and will report back to me. We're making progress!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Good Sam's botched my situation. On my way to the Cagle's yesterday, I had a lift (fuel) pump failure. The tow truck driver broke the yoke on the driveshaft disconnecting it. GS had me towed to a shade-tree shop, who said they can't work on it. As of now, I'm waiting for a tow to a shop that can handle it; GS is looking for such a shop; I'm awaiting a callback. Mad

What is really odd is that the tow passed through Vidalia, GA (a fair-size town) and ran another 25 miles to Soperton, which doesn't even have a traffic light...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Not sure if Good Sam and AAA are essentially just tow services, but CoachNet often times will arrange to have the repair done right there on the roadside if possible.

The phone reps are all RV techs and I've read many accounts where they have been able to tell the driver/owner what to do to either (1) fix the problem themselves if it's something simple (like a waterlogged air filter that was causing engine stalling in one case), or (2) send out the appropriate mobile road service to handle the repair.

Third option is they tow to the nearest qualified repair shop, and I believe they always call ahead first to make sure the place is open and can handle the problem.

Again this is just from the overwhelmingly positive reviews I've read over and over throughout the years at my other RV forum online home. If I ever need comprehensive roadside service for a motorhome again (currently I own a trailer so much less chance of mechanical failure) it will be CoachNet.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Coach Net has saved my bacon. Last time was when I was driving my pickup after 5pm on backroads in Iowa. Blew a tire! -8 degrees. Put on doughnot tire drove 100 yards and that blew. 1998 Chevy S10. Called them they would send a flat bed out to take me to the next town. I said no I needed to get to where I could get a tire and be mobile. I explained I was hunting and had dogs, pheasants, arms and that wouldn't work.
They sent a flat bed tow and we went on a 60 mile roadtrip to a town with a walmart with auto service. They had verified they had tire and would be ready when we got there. They will continue to ne my carrier. Back on the road by 9 pm Great service!!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post