Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1976 Barth 21
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Camper-John
posted
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum, so go easy on me. Bought a 76 21 FP1 floor plan and overhead bunk... It’s been sitting since 1992 in the second owners yard. Needs lots of love, but has a great look. It was so full of junk that waiting till I get it dragged out and home before I look close at what I have. It’s very original down to the plastic runners on the shag carpet. Has some water damage from both roof vents being broken and possible leak around AC seal. Going to be an exciting project. I’m a vintage VW guy that wants to use my Barth to stay in and transport my toys to and from shows. I will say that the exterior will be left aged and sweaty lookin. Interior I hope to keep close to stock as possible with the addition of high tech goodies that will be hidden out of sight... Drive line, look out!!! This is where i tend to go a little crazy... It will be a driving, towing and if I do it right, it might just be capable of a burnout or two??? Can’t wait and look forward to input from this sight.

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 03-26-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Please send us a Data Tag posted so I can request you a folder for your future picture posts.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geezzz....this is great several folks have found one of these hidden beauties lately and are bringing them back to life.

This one is above and beyond in sex appeal, I am really interested in your plan for a Barth hot rod, what ya going to do for power, transmission and rearend? Good luck and welcome to Barthland!!!!

Bet lots of us would want to follow you as you proceed, please lots of pictures and explanations.

You will be of definite interest to a great contributor here, his handle is SteveVW, I am sure you both share a love for that German beast. He is in Florida right now, you may be close to one another.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Camper-John
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. The VW guy I believe is a friend of DannyZ? Was going to buy Danny’s 81 euro but it sold before I could get down there. Will probably start a Facebook page for the Barth also. Tomorrow is going to be a nail biter. Picked up 2 rims with tires for the front today. Going to put them on tomorrow, dig out the rear half buried wheels, empty a couple cans of PB Blaster in rear drums and fronts if necessary. Hook my jeep winch to it and strap my jeep to a power pole and hopefully break it loose from the very spot it has sat since 1992... Front wheels are on a cement pad, rears are in the dirt. So, if you hear of any power outages in Orlando tomorrow afternoon, it wasn’t me and I’ll need a bigger truck... This is a pic of my VW bus that will be seen on a regular basis behind my Barth. Hope no one minds, thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 03-26-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camper-John:
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum, so go easy on me.... Can’t wait and look forward to input from this sight.

Some information you may be interested in.
I am not sure what the picture is you have posted. It is over size and may get deleted. We need your data tag to get you up to speed with pictures. Thank you in advance for the data tag information. You can find out what the data tag looks like on the home page. Check the photo galleries on the home page. PM also sent, so be sure your private message is turned on in your profile.

Welcome to our community.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Camper-John
posted Hide Post
OK, Sorry

posted Hide Post
Hey John I am here to help you get rolling with the pictures.

Here is a start:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...373998787#7373998787

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Yes John, SteveVW and Danny are good friends. Danny's Glassnose was a great value for sure, probably a no work option for your needs, except the hot rod portion.

Don't break a power pole good luck!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Camper-John
posted Hide Post
IT’S FREE!!!

Only took a couple hours and had it free. Rolled it out between a couple houses and septic tanks and it was on a paved driveway. Have to wait till Monday for the big truck and trailer to bring it home. Stay tuned

posted Hide Post
quote:
IT’S FREE!!! Stay tuned
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers

Picture of Camper-John
posted Hide Post
Monday, April 2nd and the Barth is at my office just waiting on me to start the breakdown. Was able to open the engine hatch today to see a very original small block. To my surprise an AC compressor!!! Will be awesome if I can bring that back to life. Started a Facebook page, 1976 Barth 21 Motorhome “The Lodge”. Gen only has 300 hours and will hopefully fire right up with fresh gas? Still haven’t seen the build plate that I need to post on here? Going out of town this week, so not much going to be done till next week.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey John I never did ask, but that is a P30 under there is it not??

If you keep the compressor using R-12 it will be an easy job, but the cost is unbelievable if you can find it. Conversion to R-134a is bit more work but some folks have had good luck. Come spring mine will be ready to try made the change last fall but I only put a holding charge in it.

See you in a week!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Camper-John
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Probably go with 134 swap. I’m almost positive its the P30 chassis. Previous owner still has a box of paperwork that I havent gotten yet. Anyone replaced fuel tanks? Also looking for info on built in propane tank. Just thinking out loud.... Need to be concentrating on VW stuff this week... But so want to start tearing the Barth apart. Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the input. Anyone replaced fuel tanks? Also looking for info on built in propane tank. Just thinking out loud....

Start on page 5

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
John, SteveVW has done everything to a P30, if you check his past posts there will be solid information you can trust on most anything you may need, he also does lots of pictures. There are many other sources here also.

P30 chassis
350 engine