Forums    General Discussions    Cummins Engine Serial Numbers (ESN)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cummins Engine Serial Numbers (ESN)
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have seen many references to the Cummins 8.3 240HP on this site. Does anyone have an ESN of one? I have read (and learned)lots on this site and someday hope to own a Barth. It would have to have a Cummins in the back and while I do know lots about Cummins "B" and "C" engines I don't find much on the 240 HP version, 210,250,275,300 &325 version of the 8.3 but not a 240.

The first time I saw a Barth it was back in the late 70's or early 80's. It was about a 24-26' and I was told it had a 440 Chrysler in it. Knowing what I know now I'm guessing it was a Regal?

David

Posts: 12 | Location: Edmonton AB | Member Since: 09-28-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cummins 8.3 240HP

this? https://cumminsengines.com/sho...28EPA+07%29#overview

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes but that is an ISC and they didn't come out until 1998.I did a search and came up with 2 ESNs for 8.3 units on here and they were both 300 HP. I also found one 5.9 rated at 160, the same as the first Dodge Cummins trucks. The mechanical 5.9 & 8.3 Cummins engine were made from 1984 until early 1998 when they switched to the 24 valve electronic engines. The High Pressure Common Rail ( HPCR) engine came out in 2003. Any Cummins engine that starts with an "IS", as in ISB ISC ISL etc. is electronic engine.

BTW Did Barth make any of the newer unit s with a slide? Our TT has a 13' x 3' slide and since we are used to it going to a unit without one would make it seem "small" inside.

Posts: 12 | Location: Edmonton AB | Member Since: 09-28-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"BTW Did Barth make any of the newer unit s with a slide?"

When we were planning a replacement for our '86 neither Barth nor Foretravel would make a slide. Foretravel manufactured their own chassis so it seems simple. However, they said the same as the Barth folks: not "no", but "hell no!" Each cited "support" (weight on extended slide) problems; sealing problems; and primarily structural problems. Barth built the '96 Monarch (38', 325HP Cummins) to our specifications but would not discuss slides. Barth never built a slide; I don't know about FT. Wonder if slides would have extended the life of either company?

"you are what you drive" -Clint Eastwood "Play Misty For Me"

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slides are very popular with the RV crowd today and I think it could have helped Barth with sales. Many a unit with a poor quality slide has had cracking issues with the walls. Todays quality slides are much better on high end units but do add weight. One thing we had to take into consideration with our current trailer when we first got it was to watch where we park so that there was not only enough room for the awning on one side but the slide on the other side as well. The older provincial part have narrower spots and we like to camp in the trees.

There is a TT called Roughneck and it is good to -40 temps but it does not come with any slides at all. It was designed as an office/living unit and was tough enough to go down oilfield and logging roads. Too much problem with insulation on a slide.

posted Hide Post
Well I managed to come up with 4 Cummins serial numbers off this site, a 5.9 160 HP, a 5.9 230 HP and 2 8.3 300 HP models. If anyone has more please let me know.
TIA David

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have a 95 300 hp 8.3. I thought you wanted numbers for the 240 hp model. #45151329 if you are interested.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Tonka has a Cummins 300 hp C series 8.3.

I believe the chassis and engine were manufactured in 95.

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1996 the 325HP 8.3 was an "extra cost" Barth option of (I think) $700 over the "standard" 300HP. I took it. Probably didn't need it, but NEVER lacked torque, including towing -wheels down- a Navigator over Vail Pass in Colorado.

"you are what you drive" -Clint Eastwood

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC Gunner:
In 1996 the 325HP 8.3 was an "extra cost" Barth option of (I think) $700 over the "standard" 300HP. I took it. Probably didn't need it, but NEVER lacked torque, including towing -wheels down- a Navigator over Vail Pass in Colorado.

"you are what you drive" -Clint Eastwood

Gunner as the new Owner of "Black Beauty" and it's 325 horses I thank you! It may burn a little more hay but with the Allison 6 speed more power is just fine. Thanks for ordering such a fine coach. I feel like you read my mind!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to get the ESN of that 325 horse engine?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David M:
Well I managed to come up with 4 Cummins serial numbers off this site, a 5.9 160 HP, a 5.9 230 HP and 2 8.3 300 HP models. If anyone has more please let me know.
TIA David

Is there any chance that you might like to share your findings with the rest of the Barth Folks here.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I share the ESN's that I came up with I thought some of you might be interested in a little Cummins History.

In 1980 Cummins and Case ( now CNH Global - Case New Holland ) did a 50/50 joint venture to produce what we know as "B" & "C" engines and later ISB ISC and ISL engines for automotive & industrial markets. In 2008 Cummins purchased the other 50% of the shares.

The B series include the 3.9 (4 cyl )and 5.9 (6 cyl) and later on the 4.5 (4 cyl) and the 6.7 (6 cyl). If you remove the 2 middle cylinders of the 6 cylinder engine you get the 4 cyl version. The ISB is a 24 valve electronic version of these and the QSB is a 24 valve industrial version and came out in Jan of 1998.

The C series is an 8.3 litre engine. In Jan of 1998 the ISC and QSC started and later the ISL ( an 8.9 litre ) came out.

The ESN's that I came up with so far are :

B series

44301656 160hp/400tq built 09/88 This one is built to the same specs as the 89-91 Dodge trucks. It does not have a charge air cooler.

44838908 230hp/605tq built in 02/93

C series

44811989 300hp/820tq built in 11/92

45151329 300hp/820tq built in 03/95

As you can see they are all 8 digits long & all start with 4. These are all built in NC. The serial numbers are assigned at the end of the assembly line and a 3.9, and a 5.9 can be sequential as can an 8.3.

With the popularity of the B a second plant was opened just outside of Columbus IN strictly to build engines for the automotive market. The vast majority of the engines built at this plant are for Dodges but some go to Freightliner as well. They all start with a 5.

That ends todays lesson. They will be no test Smiler

David

posted Hide Post
Just to let you know that the 5.9 Cummins engine has dry cylinder walls and the 8.3 has wet liners .wet cylinder walls can pit causing you to replace the liners. make sure if you have wet liners you use a water filter and check it at lease twice a year with a coolant test strip you dip the coolant like a pool. Hope this helps

Posts: 6 | Location: massachusetts | Member Since: 04-20-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liner pitting, or cavitation, is caused by the coolant "bombarding" the cylinder wall, the liner, when the engine is running. This can cause a hole in the liner allowing coolant into the oil. To prevent this Cummins engines with liners (8.3 and larger) use an additive called DCA. It is found in the coolant filter or can be added in liquid form.

Whenever you do a service on the engine check your DCA concentration with the test strips that Fleetguard makes. It needs to be a certain strength, just like antifreeze, but performing a different function. When you do a change of antifreeze use the Fleetguard WF2074 filter which contains 12 units of DCA in a pellet form. If you are with in the limits for DCA concentration according to the test strip you can use a WF2071 filter. It is shorter in length and contains 4 units of DCA in pellet form. They dissolves over time. Just like antifreeze you don't want the strength to be to weak or too strong. A WF2077 filter contains "zero" units and just filters the coolant. I have used these on my 5.9 engines to keep the coolant clean.

To change the filter just turn off the "tap" (located usually beside the filter) and change it, lubricating the gasket just like you would on any filter, and then install the new filter and turn on the tap again. The coolant filter is a bypass filter with only a small amount of coolant running thru it.

A word of warning. If you use a rad stop leak shut off your coolant filter for a few days of running otherwise it will plug up your filter.

There are other coolant filter numbers made by FLG but these ones I have listed will work on the older engines found in Barths. If you use a premix coolant (usually a 50/50 mix) you wont have to worry about hard or contaminated water. A lot of travellers and truckers carry it with them as you can just pour it in.

David