Forums    General Discussions    North to South in Jan.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

North to South in Jan.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Mid January we are going to leave Indy and head south for a bit, and I have the following question. I have winterized it using the wet method, and wondered if on the morning we head out couldn't I turn on the water compartment heater and flush with clean water? Do you think it will freeze on the road before we hit warmer weather, or would it be better to wait and flush when we get in a non frozen area? I feel like the compartment heater will protect the compartment, but have concerns about other areas of the coach. Thanks for hearing me out. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Dale, how cold does it get in your part of the country. If you are above 28 degrees then I think you are OK. We have gone camping with the 20's at night and 40's in the day and the only problem has been a frozen water hose.

Now if it were us and it was 5 degrees or lower we would stay winterized until we got to Missouri or farther south.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Dale o you have the Dayton heater in water comp.?Are your gray & black water tanks in a closed comp.? Thank Jay

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes to the heater in the water tank valve area, but the black and gray compartments are not heated, and I don't think they have a seal floor either. I think I will play it by the temp. at the time. Like Dave said, if it is MN cold wait until I get down the road a bit. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale,
I wouldn't hesitate to drain the antifreeze, but dont flush and add water until you get to a warmer place. This will save you from dealing with all that antifreeze while on the road.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post