Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Running Both Air Conditioners
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I've been reading many posts on other forums that state you need to make a modification to your electrical system to run both airs on 30amp shore power. I was at a park last month and both my units ran on the 30amp hookup. We started the front and put it on low and then started the rear. Is the Barth susposed to do that or what?

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The current Duo Therm (for example) 13,500 BTU AC draws 15 amps to run and 25 to start. Theoretically, two of them running is all a 30 amp service can handle, and one starting up while the other is running would sorely tax a 30 amp service.

I would suggest that while running both, you monitor voltage carefully and feel check the connector and receptacle for overheating very carefully. If the voltage drops below a certain level, you can damage the AC. You are right on the ragged edge. Different sources quote different voltage minima, so choose between 103.5, 105 or 109. Regardless, the motor has to do a certain amount of work, expressed in watts. the lower the voltage, the higher the amperage, so the more heat, and the possibility of damage.

Closing off the bedroom and running the front one only would help during the day. We use bubble foil to keep our bedroom dark in the morning, and leaving it up really keeps the bedroom cooler. Barths are well insulated, but the glass lets in a lot of heat, not to mention sun.

There is also a connector that allows good power to both air conditioners if you have 50 amp service and find yourself at a 30 amp post that also has a 20 amp outlet the other leg of a line. Or another setup will allow using two 30 amp outlets to power a 50 amp coach.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited August 06, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
my barth has 50 amp service but only a few of the campgrounds had 50A available. I've been hooking up with dogbones.

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
"Is the Barth supposed to do that or what?"

--------------------------------------------I checked my dog bone yesterday, and it is like yours. It supplies both legs of your 50 amp service from the single 30 amp hot lead. So, the short answer is "Yes, that is normal."

But monitor your voltage. I had low voltage burn up an air conditioner motor.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited August 06, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post