Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Nicest people
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
well I guess it is true Barth owners seek out other Barth owners.. Seems I missed a local Barth for sale and met the new owner who bought it yesterday.. Seems a local dentist in talking to a patient heard of a 30 ft diesel breakaway that was for sale... well he ventured out saw it bought it and left for a trip to texas with 8 females on a very windy day... this is his first motor home... I tell you he is braver than I.. anyway he showed up at my kennel yesterday after reading the list and recognizing my kennel name... Naturally I had to show him mine... As he just got back from Texas and I am sure he will now be more vocal as he is now an owner.... Lots of questions... I'll not go into the story as I'll leave that for his introduction..
Dave I sent him your way for the CD..I felt it might help with some of his questions...
I am busy laying out the plans for the new building for the Barth ... it looks like it is going to be 36 foot long and around 26 foot wide.. it will be home to the 86 Barth 28 footer 454 center twins.. and the new home will also house my 2 corvettes 63 split window and my 69 convertible...As soon as the weather breaks I figure construction will start... That will give me enough time to lay everything out ... looking forward to seeing the 30ft breakaway... and the tought of having another Barth in the area is good..
I wish him luck...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
hi john i guess it is true barth owners love good old things. 87 barth 33. 68 corvette 427. 430 hp L88 .1959 mga. carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
Carl my 69 is a 427/390 and my 63 is suppozse to be a 327/340 but presently has the wrong engine..The nice thing about my 69 is that it is an A title car..I have had it since August of 69 buying it off the show room floor..

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl, WOW, you have a MGA too? I have a 1960 MGA. 1941 Buick Limited, 1979 Vette that I purchased new, but didn't I read once that Dave has an opinion of MG owners? I don't recall ever reading JUST what it is though. I have kept my ownership a secret so as to NOT ruffle any feathers, and all that know me know I would NEVER do that. LOL

Dale
Indy

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smith Brother:
...but didn't I read once that Dave has an opinion of MG owners? I don't recall ever reading JUST what it is though. I have kept my ownership a secret so as to NOT ruffle any feathers...

You would be wise to keep it a secret. Here are a few of Daves quotes about MG owners.

quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
8/14/02...There is only one word to use when considering an MCC chassis, and that word is RUN. Unless you are the kind of guy that has owned a series of MGs and just have loads of expendible income.

4/3/03...You know how many times I have said that the people who buy Barth's are psychologically the same breed as those who buy MG's?

10/5/04...what I meant was that a person who owns an MCC or an MG is a person who enjoys a challenge. You like to live on the edge, you are not a member of the mediocrity who lives on the safe side....

I too have always thought it odd that Dave seems to pick fun at those MG owners. He has softened his tone over the years. I'm just waiting for one of those pesky little AMC Pacer owners to pop up so I can go after them! LOL

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey you guys are mean. Now tell me all you MG owners. Are you driving them or are they safely planted under a tarp on the side of the driveway.

I think my comparison still stands. You MG owners are not at all adverse to writing a guy in Brazil for a glove box door lock for you MGA. So you obviously wouldn't be upset to have to wait for 4 days in the Baghdad Cafe motel for Les Hoagland to make an axle shaft for your MCC chassis.

And by the way, I do not say the things about MCC's now which were quoted above. I feel there is more than enough illumination of any potential problems and Les's phone number is on this site at least 100 times so everything is cool.

And, you should know I bought a Pacer the moment they first came out. I traded a VW bus in on it. I am repentant to this day. I drove it from LA to Minneapolis in 1976 when I took an engineering job in Baldwin, WI and left Simi Valley for the tundra. I am repentant to this day for that also. Plus the Pacer over heated the entire way through that grade from CA to Gallop, NM. What a junk piece of car that was. I did get through the first winter with it, barely, hard to start every day even with a block heater plugged in. For all you youngsters out there who have never seen one of these uh...cars. Here it is..

Oh and all you MG owners, if it is raining or snowing tonight make sure you have your tarp tied down tonight..

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 05, 2006).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I suppose you say the same thing about all us FORMER Triumph owners too? Yep, brought our daughter home from the hospital in a TR3, Oct. 1, 1960.

Our MGA is under a shelving rack inside our Avis Rent A Car business, and has been for 20 years this May. I can't tell you all the offers to buy it from customers. Some even say, YOU STILL HAVE THAT LITTLE CAR IN THE BACK ROOM?

Fun is good.

Dale
Indy

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, you should know I bought a Pacer the moment they first came out. I traded a VW bus in on it. I am repentant to this day.

1/18/06: Geez, I have made foolish errors in judgement in my life but I have never had a desire to publish them.

Who do you think said that? Yes... Dave!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
I'm just waiting for one of those pesky little AMC Pacer owners to pop up so I can go after them!.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks Dave.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
There is at least one huge failure in electronic correspondence. It doesn't get thrown away, burnt or otherwise forgotten. And the word haunt is appropriate.

Thanks Bill, you are a real dear....

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
ANYONE who has owned a car with Lucas (Prince of Darkness) Electrics (Mine was a '58 Jab Mk I 3.4R) knows about "living on the edge". And give Dave a break about the Pacer - it was a "sensible" car.

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Bill, you are a real dear....

Awe shucks Dave... you are too.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
And what do you say about currrent Triumph owners? I have a 62 TR-4 with a 67 Mustang 289 and auto trans and a 59 Ford shortbox pickup in storeage in Lake Havasu. I change the gas, fire them up and run them around the block each time we pass thru town. Since we like it here in the Yuma area and it looks like we will spend the next couple of winters here i am going to move them to a unit down here so i can use them while we are here. "Life is good", but will be a lot more fun when i have my toys close by. :>)

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
My wife also had a Pacer...but that was with a different husband before she wised up and got rid of him and the car and found me.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Dave:

Your pacer looks nice, when they first came out I thought they made sense. It is more than just too bad that the cars were not more carefully engineered.

I also drove a 1971 V.W. van for about twelve or thirteen years. The engines only lasted about 40K (Ok the ones I ran were more than a little hotter than stock) it had no air and only a thin layer of sheet metal between my legs and life in a wheel chair after a front end accident.

My van is gone and so is your pacer. You know what the twelve step people say about not regretting the past... now this does not mean we intend to re-live it. I will close by saying I do not miss building an engine a year and while yes I could swap the V.W. engine in fiften minutes, assuming I had a fully built engine sitting ready to go...man was I nuts.

Rusty:

To your quote "has owned a car with Lucas (Prince of Darkness) Electrics" I must add from my life experience also motorcycles.

Why did the Germans never bomb the Lucas plant during the war?

Because they considered them allies.

Why do the English drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigeration.

And last.....

Why do the English not make televisions?

Because they can not work out how to make them leak oil.

But Jag sure built cars that were real beauties.

All the Best:

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited February 05, 2006).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Speaking of MGs, but for one thing I would have brought my newborn daughter home in a TD in November, 1951. The one thing was my highly pregnant wife couldn't get her fat tummy in and out past the corner of the dash any more so I had to get something else.

I sold the TD and bought a Citroen 11L , a "practical" family sedan. I owned that car for nine years. In at least half those years the car was parked awaiting parts from France. I never had a more unreliable car, but of the 50 or so vehicles I've owned in the past 60 years, that's the only one for which I have any real nostalgia.

After Tim's post I remembered, I've also had 3 VWs, a beetle, a Ghia, and a Squareback. Built 3 engines altogether for the Ghia & theSquareback , but none for the beetle.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited February 05, 2006).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post