Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1976 34t. Horns not working
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Barth Brooks
posted
How do get the horns on top to work?

Posts: 16 | Location: Home | Member Since: 09-03-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Generally there is a problem with ground. Check the connections with a VOM and see if you have both ground and positive when tooting.

Money can't buy poverty

Posts: 877 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth Brooks
posted Hide Post
I will check it. This is the big horns on a 34T model.

Are they air or electric. Thanks

Barth Brooks

Posts: 16 | Location: Home | Member Since: 09-03-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth Brooks
posted Hide Post
Oooo and how does that box with horns open???

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think you may have air horns. I had them on my 86, I suspect yours are similar.

Since there is no other air system on the coach, Barth used a small vacuum driven air compressor, a small air tank and a solenoid valve to make em go. Somewhat elaborate, the compressor and small tank are under the hood. The compressors are prone to failure and are no longer made.

OTOH, the horns may just be plugged up. I had to clear hornets' nests out of them now and them. Keep them covered between runs.

Some discussion here:
http://www.barthmobile.com/eve...383909277#2383909277

I installed a central 12v compressor under the couch in my 86. I had air for tires or air bags when needed, and air supply for the horns.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 300 hp

Posts: 3998 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Picture of Barth Brooks
posted Hide Post
did applypower to the horn Wire all I get is a clicking up top by the horn

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Two reasons possible that I can think of for clicking. The air will be controlled via a solenoid to the horn. I would be surprised if the solenoid were up there but it could be in the butt of the horn, too long ago since I had one apart. The other is the metal diaphragm could be flexing but not enough air volume/pressure to make it do its noisy thing. Seems like time to do an R and R.
There may be other possibilities, have you looked at the manufacturers site? If they aren't still in business find a comparable looking horn and see if it has anything helpful.
Good luck, Tim

Money can't buy poverty

Posts: 877 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth Brooks
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the horns!!!

Thanks again

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
posted Hide Post
FIAM sorta like FIAT Big Grin
"Made in Italy"
Therein lies the rub!
no cabish Confused !

later 25' '82 Euro 70% ready for the road (if I can find the fountain of youth) it is somewhere here in central FL

29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1025 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
You need to delete the pic and check the procedure for posting . Below the horns it looks like a latch for the controls. Is that correct, if so is there a solenoid and pump ? If so you probably hear the solenoid and the pump maybe the problem .

Money can't buy poverty

Picture of Barth Brooks
posted Hide Post
Who gotta pump around here???

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
check these---

https://www.amazon.ca/fiamm-horn/s?k=fiamm+horn

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!
www.amway.ca/dougsmiley

Posts: 2644 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post