Forums    General Discussions    Winter in a Barth?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winter in a Barth?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are new to this for sure. We want to take short trips this winter to winter areas, and need tips on how we can do just this. We welcome any comments. Water-Water-Water we will need you? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Dale, We took our 1985 Barth regency(mcc chassis) 35' diesel to N.Carolina last year in Nov. from Fl. We did not have any water freezing & outside temp.was below freezing for 3-4 days. However our coach has a compartment heater in gas and in 110volts when the gen is on or it is on shore power. The switches are on the panel above the door. Check to see if you have compartment heat. Hopes this helps.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Dale,

Just come up here to Minneapolis around January 15th and we'll do some real product testing.

I have been thinking about this too since we many times go out in the later days of autumn and it does get cold. Now in our '85 we do not have any heated bays, however, our water tank is under my twin bed.

I have been thinking about what Bill H. said in a previous post about running the gas furnace. I am not so worried about being asphyxiated but it is loud and it's warm when it's on a cool when it's off. So we picked up a little Pelonis Cermic heater and wow does it pump out the heat for a little thing. We do shut the door into the living room and this little thing does the job.

FEATURES

1500 Watts/5200 BTUs
Ceramic Fin Heating System
Automatic Thermostat
eSave� Energy Saver
Control (HC-441WE only)
Safety Tip Over Switch
Overheat Protection Device
Dust Filter
Cord Storage Compartment
3 Year Warranty

SPECIFICATIONS
LxWxH: 7" x 6.5" x 7"
Weight: 4 lbs.
Power: 110-120V/60Hz

Color: Cool Grey

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, that is exactly the heater I want. We owned a True Value hardware store for 23 years and sold a ton of them, but that was 7 years ago and I could not think of the brand name. The box stores here don't have it either. Thank you my friend. Jan 15th huh??? Sharon is from Iron Mountain, Michigan and she says she knows what cold is too. Up there the snow comes up out of the ground. She learned how to ice skate at a very early age....NOTHING else to do. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Reflectix foil/bubble sheet can be cut to press fit in window openings. Very good insulation, summer or winter. If you have curtains, a liner made of an old blanket or dacron batting helps insulate.

For winter, I use black tape over the slots on the outside of my Hehr window frames. Makes a difference if it is windy. The overlap area on the sliding windows can admit some cold wind if the wind is from behind. Again, tape. A smoking object will tell you where the draft is.

If you have the Kool-a-Matic ventilators, cover them with contact paper to seal them shut or use magnetic material to effect a complete seal. A little ceiling leakage can be a good thing for some, but if the wind blows from behind, they let in a lot of cold air. Chances are your Kool-a-Matics have a broken louver lever, anyway.

If you can close off the bedroom with a curtain or hanging quilt, it will stay a lot warmer. The difference is quite noticeable on a cold morning. When it is really cold, we let the dog sleep in the bedroom. He stays warmer and contributes some heat.

Boil water. Use some to warm the mug and discard.
Add 1/4 cup to a packet of Swiss Miss chocolate powder in a mug.
Stir.
Add 1/4 cup of Peppermint Schnapps or Creme de Menthe.
Stir.
Add enough hot water to fill the mug.
The schnapps is a little sharper and the CDM is a little rounder.
Adjust to taste.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh water lines could burst, so you may want to consider that... part of my winterizing routing is, after draining all the water, I blow out the lines with low-pressure air. I've rigged up a male quick-release garden hose connector to a male compressed air line connector... rubber hose, two hose clamps. Screw it into the water feed, apply low pressure from my garage compressor, open the drain valves, then the faucets, one at a time, repeat until blown out. I prefer this to the anti-freeze in the system... less flushing and sanitizing in the spring. Just make sure you don't forget the toilet valve. Lots of small water passages there.

As for a fresh water source in cold weather, use water jugs... seriously. I have plastic Rubbermaid Jerry cans. 3 gallon ones are easier to carry. You do NOT want to have to start fixing frozen and cracked water lines! you can use dish rinse water to fluse the toilet... I wouldnt worry too much about waste tanks freezing, unless they get full, they probably won't burst...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post