Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

In the hunt for the old '73
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Thank you all for the invitation.
My quest for a 1973 jump-started my registration here. Just spoke to second owner of a '73 with a recent Chevey 350 w/rebuilt automatic. The coach has been stored for two years, but used regularly previously. Condition would be 6.5 of 10.0 point scale. I have only viewed unit from afar. Average to good overall.
What should I pay? "From ... To" price, please. I will assume about $2-3,000 in immediate needs/replacements/services. I am way too excited about this coach! Need some cool heads to counsel me. Thanks, in advance. Jim

Posts: 9 | Location: Geneva,IL,USA | Member Since: 12-22-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the web site. There is one really cool '73 for sale in the Barth for sale area. https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000104.html

Depending on condition and size etc. I would guess $4k-$8K for a '73. I make a big deal out of this, but you want to measure the height of the windshield. If it is less than 20 inchs then you must be aware that this windshield is "not" available.

Good Luck, will write more but wife is yelling to go Christmas shopping...

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, Thanks. The seller will accept $5000. Re: windshield, replaced with new last 3 years. Good point! What's a little wind in the face? The '73 in Barths "for sale" is interesting, too. Is the 350 cid engine too small? Four 54 cid's drink heavily. Now, I'm ready to pounce! ...?
Thanks again, Jim.
Ps. Great site.
Pps. Let the service/s begin!!!

Posts: 9 | Location: Geneva,IL,USA | Member Since: 12-22-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone, Here's a thought...
If you were to buy one old coach, let's say around the 25 ft. size, to be driven daily as primary transportation, because you like to use it, what would be your choice?
It would be used to drive,tow, travel, and camp sometimes. It must have that pazazzzzz that when restored/preserved, it will be a serious head turner and a joy to behold.
As you know, some coaches just have that look and the stlye of a classic. This must be a true diamond in the rough not basket case or wreck. There, what is your choice. And please elaborate from your emotional side. Let it flow. Thanks again for your thoughts. Jim
ps. What could be the "best of show"?

[This message has been edited by JimMorin (edited December 22, 2002).]

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I may be lapsing into apostasy here, but, perhaps you should consider something other than a Barth for what you want. Or at least consider a Class C Barth. They seem a little better balanced, visually.
This is just an opinion, but the Class As of any brand just look boxy under 27 feet on a truck chassis. Almost like they would tumble end over end if they hit a speed bump too fast.
I used to half own a Clark Cortez. (I was the maintenance half) It was short, but, being FWD, was low to the ground, so it looked good, and was very well built. It had a slant six engine, a little underpowered, perhaps, but I tricked it up a bit. Later ones had Olds V8s. I can advise you on both engines if you go that way. Revcons and GMCs are short, too, and sit low. A well restored Revcon or GMC turns heads, too. Both have the Olds V8.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill has some great ideas. I would probably look at one of the 70 something GMC's

If you have the money, I would look at the FMC,

But I am especially partial to my 1985 28 ft. Regal. Lee Merriman recently told me it was one of the most popular coaches and I can understand why. With the center twin bed you end up with a really nice sized bath. and the living area is just fine for trips in the month or less category. One just sold on the site for $8900.00. That was a great deal.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill & Dave, Thanks for your kind replies. I dive a Mercedes Benz, Westfalia, James Cook, class B camper at present. I like the toaster on wheels look. My feelings are that a smaller class A model that can be restored to showroom condition would be really fun and satisfying to do. The Mercedes is fun and unique, but no interior space. I have considered the GMC's but have not been stirred by them. FMC's are also nice, but too conventional. An old Barth just looks cool! There, I've tipped my hand! Please, your thoughts on the Barth linage. As an added note, I do not have good sense. (as you have I am sure you noticed!) Thanks, awaiting your comments, Jim

[This message has been edited by JimMorin (edited December 22, 2002).]

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Jim,

If you want to go at a Barth, you could not do better. A good example is Jim and Terri May's total redo of a 1989 31 ft.

I think the most important thing is that you start with good "bones". If you have a Chevy chassis, you aren't going to have a problem with engine, brakes or tranny parts. And then you can take it from there. The Barth has to be one of the very best quality coaches, as far as infrastructure is concerned. And then you can take if from there...

posted Hide Post
Dave,

You are just what I needed! I'll start with a Cheverolet chassis and go from there.
The May's coach looks supurb! Thanks for you kindness. (and responses) Jim

Ps. Do you have an oldie favoite year/model?

posted Hide Post
To all who replied: Thanks, I have made a decision. Thanks again, Jim

posted Hide Post
Help (again)...What is a P-30 chassis by Chevrolet? When I trot over to the local Carquest shop, what do I say? Thanks in advance. Jim

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

When an RV manufacturer is ready to build a motorhome he first buys a chassis.

And, that includes what you see here, frame, engine, brakes, suspension etc. The Chevy frame that was used for motorhomes as well as Stepvans, UPS trucks etc. Was the P-30. They also make a P-32 but I don't know what the difference is. All of Chevy's truck chassis business has been sold to Workhorse www.workhorse.com. They still make a P-32 however, their most popular chassis now are the W-20 and W-22 with the 8.1L Vortec engine.

By the way Ford made a chassis at the same time and I think they called it the F-53. Chassis were also made by Oshkosh, and John Deere. The Ford, Oshkosh and John Deere chassis business has all been sold to Freightliner.

I think this is all 98.6% accurate and I hope it helps.

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,
Stick with yer first thoughts, bud...I just got a 25' class A last year. The body was about 98% and has a good looking paint job. Even though I'm still working on the interior, I never fail to turn a head when we take it out. I meet more people everywhere I go just 'cause they want to see & talk about the coach. Mine sits low enough to the ground that it overcomes that top-heavy-box look. I think you'll be very happy...I am.

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post