Forums    General Discussions    New to the group!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New to the group!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey everyone!

My wife and I recently decided to go full time and purchased a 30’ 1991 Barth Breakaway with a 5.9 Cummins Engine, Alison AT542 Transmission, and Spartan chassis, and we have named it Bobb-e. We bought it from a diesel mechanic on a dairy farm, so the mechanical stuff was pretty well maintained. The inside wasn’t as lucky. The roof needed resealing, so there were a few stains on the ceiling. It also looked like someone may have left the windows open on a rainy day and caused a few panels to be rotted out.

We have sold our house and are getting ready to hit the road. So far, we have made the following renovations:
- tore out all the existing carpet and wallpaper
- replaced a few rotted panels and sprayed mold remediation spray
- repainted all the cabinets and walls
- added vinyl plank flooring
- updated all the fluorescent fixtures to use led strips
- replaced halogen reading lights with leds
- replaced grey water tank valve
- replace steer tires
- new rear pads and rotors
- new fantastic fan up front
- scraped and sanded old roof material
- resealed roof with rubber tape and koolseal elastomeric roof coating
- resealed windows with butyl tape and sealant
- removed old blinds and valences
- installed new curtain rods and curtains
- put on new couch cover
- removed old storage drawers in bedroom
- installed custom built storage bins in bedroom
- installed custom built booth/bench in dinette area
- replaced smoke and propane detectors
- replaced broken fan blades (should’ve just replaced with whole new fans)
- added fire extinguishers
- removed front tv and converted to storage space
- bought new ems/surge protector, need to install
- replaced all outlets with new 15amp outlets, including 1 with Usb ports
- replaced a 12v outlet with 12v usb outlet
- fixed engine coolant leak
- replaced hydraulic motor for jacks
- replaced faucets with new fixtures, including faucet with retractable hose for kitchen

Still left to-do:
- add solar, inverter, and upgraded battery bank
- add cell booster
- install new stereo system with Bluetooth
- replace awnings
- swap out toilet for composting toilet

We’re excited to be a part of this community! Any tips or tricks on Barths that you can share are much appreciated. You can follow our journey on Instagram at BobbeTheBarth, or my personal account at Streetlogics.

Posts: 7 | Location: Denver, CO | Member Since: 08-05-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well welcome to our group, sounds like you are off to a flying start on your new Barth. The nice thing about redoing the interior is you get what you want just like, how Barth did things for its customer. Good luck!

If you are up for it, a picture and VIN tag would be great for our files, Kevin would love to ask our fearless leader to set up a build number file for you..

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site! Thumbs Up

It sounds like you are a busy guy with your coach. Keep up the good work and keep us posted! Mechanic

Be sure to get to know the members here, a really great bunch of folks with cool old coaches. Good luck with the projects.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Check harmonic balancer Here

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip on the harmonic balancer, I’ll definitely take a look / have that checked out.

Also - who do I send those photos to?

Posts: 7 | Location: Denver, CO | Member Since: 08-05-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Streetlogics:
Thanks for the tip on the harmonic balancer, I’ll definitely take a look / have that checked out.

Also - who do I send those photos to?

With Kevin indisposed, post just the vin and build number and perhaps "Rusty" can get a file opened so you can use photo bucket for the pictures.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vin: 4S7KT9TMC003734
Unit #: 9102 3715 30BS-1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to have been away and my other PC is not working up to par yet. Streetlogics, your folder number is 3715. Created for your Barth coach by our Superman Bill NY.
Please follow the picture posting procedure found under the Community Announcements page. If you have any questions send me a private message.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I am sorry to have been away and my other PC is not working up to par yet. Streetlogics, your folder number is 3715. Created for your Barth coach by our Superman Bill NY.
Please follow the picture posting procedure found under the Community Announcements page. If you have any questions send me a private message.

Kevin to the rescue!!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I found this picture in your folder!

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted

Posts: 1 | Location: 2201 I St NW, Washington, DC 20037 | Member Since: 10-09-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let you all know that we finally got our blog up and running at https://bobb-e.com, check it out and let us know what you think! Got a few articles up already and have a bunch more planned.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the roof. Lots of work there for sure! It looks like you are well on your way to having the exterior done.

As for RV fires, your choice of a diesel takes care of some of the most common serious fire risks; old fuel lines and gasoline leaks around hot engine parts.

Good luck with your coach and your lifestyle. Thanks for sharing with us. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post