Forums    General Discussions    Not for the Purists!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Not for the Purists!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
This little RV is about as opposite as you can get from a Barth. Interesting to look at and they say its a 1995 model. Looks like something from the first "Back-to-the-Future" movie.

------------------
]http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/language/www /US/KY/Brandenburg.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 16, 2004).]

Posts: 34 | Location: Brandenburg, KY USA | Member Since: 02-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
your photo is just a little red x on my screen. please provide a hyperlink if you can.
Thanks
MD
quote:
Originally posted by Inspector_Nick:
This little RV is about as opposite as you can get from a Barth. Interesting to look at and they say its a 1995 model. Looks like something from the first "Back-to-the-Future" movie.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, its strange when I get back on this site and look at the post the picture comes up? I havn't a clue why it doesn't for someone else? Try this:
http://www.msnusers.com/45bb9v4tfqd8qj3ct89h5eael3/Docu...avette%2026%20ft.jpg

Posts: 34 | Location: Brandenburg, KY USA | Member Since: 02-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
That link requires an MSN password. I inserted mine, but then got this:
You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

quote:
Sorry, its strange when I get back on this site and look at the post the picture comes up? I havn't a clue why it doesn't for someone else? Try this:
http://www.msnusers.com/45bb9v4tfqd8qj3ct89h5eael3/Documents/1995%20Navette%2026%20ft .jpg

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
ran a Google search and came up with this:
http://www.bbcpooltables.com/page4.html
Did you find one of the 16 for sale?

quote:

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
finally found a site with an image of one. Reminds me of Amera Coach or Amera Cruiser. Also something like the Clairion, which I test drove in the 90's.
http://www.rvfuntrips.com/trip0300/page04.html
quote:

posted Hide Post
That is the one Morgan - the one I seen was shorter.
I guess I have a lot to learn about posting pictures from a site or personal file. I'll work on doing that.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I think it was made in Oklahoma on an Izuzu diesel chassis.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Could be, looks like an Edina hoity toity vehicle.

And hey Nick, don't feel bad about your posting pictures. Some sites like MSN will not let you link to them. You have to first save the photo on your computer and then upload it into a site that allows linkage. (they are getting rarer all the time unless you are linking to Ebay) I use www.photobucket.com.

If anyone wantes to post an image or group of images in their posts go to the photo right click it with your mouse and it will say "email photo" email it to me and I will put it in your post for you. Save you pulling out your hair.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
thanks for your help, Dave. Nick was kind enough to send me the image by direct email. But, I have searched many web sites and cannot find where this coach is for sale. I remember seeing one years ago and really liked it.

quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
Take a look at this...

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
this coach is for sale here in Minneapolis at Shorewood RV www.shorewoodrv.com

------------------

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
This coach has a very interesting history. It was originally designed as a hovercraft, and worked quite well. It met limited consumer acceptance, however, due to the dust it raised on anything but a clean, hard surface. The company made the mistake of testing and demonstrating it only in their new asphalt parking lot. Several units, however were sold on Ebay.

After the recalls, the initial production run was converted to vacuum cleaners and sold to the Air Force for FOD control at SAC bases. FOD control was previously performed by enlisted men, but with this unit, it was so much fun that the duty became limited exclusively to officers. Sort of like flying. In fact, FOD control became so much fun that there was an attempt to limit use of the coach to pilots only, but the non-flying officers put up such a howl that the proposed restriction never "got off the ground". In an economy move during the Clinton administration, when all military spending was cut, the coaches were sold to the Officers' Club at the SAC bases, with the proviso that FOD duties would be performed as before, but by off-duty officers with no cost to the government.

This worked well for a while, until the units became mobile bars and party modules, with the expected results. There were several unfortunate incidents resulting in aircraft damage. An investigation ensued, with the result being a directive that only enlisted men could drive the unit. The rationale was that the partying officers would not fraternize with the enlisted driver, hence the driver remained sober. . There soon arose a mini-scandal regarding active duty airmen being forced to support a function of the officers' club, but it was covered up. The final blow came when the Air Force had its own version of the Navy's Tailhook scandal, known as the Navette Incident. The results have never been made public, but the Navettes that survived the incident were used for desert testing of helicopters. The reasoning was, if you will remember the aborted hostage rescue attempt in Iran during the Carter administration, these coaches could simulate a desert dust storm for testing of helicopter operations.

One unit was saved from such an ignominious fate, and was used as personal transport by the Undersecretary of the Air Force for Special Projects at Roswell AFB, New Mexico. After his untimely death, the unit was seen at Area 51 in Nevada off and on, often used for clandestine surveillance of Area 51 watchers. However, its distinctive appearance made it not well suited for this purpose. Somehow, it ended up in private hands and found its way to Minnesota, used as a research vehicle by a manufacturer of snow blowers. But, like Christine, the vehicle's jinx struck again, and the design was stolen by the Chinese, who are now trying to manufacture it with prisoner labor, but are having trouble with quality control issues. A plan exists to market it in India to upwardly mobile IT professionals who are doing jobs formerly done by Americans. The reasoning is that India has never had motor homes, and they are used to lots of dust, anyway.

This unit languished up on blocks for years, and was finally towed to Shorewood RV on a wheeled dolly. A member of this forum was employed there as a salesman, and had it sold three times, but the deals fell through when the prospective buyers insisted on a test drive before the transaction could be consummated.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited May 18, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I nominate Bill H., for the Barthmobile " O'Henry Award "....
That was great!
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Like you post Bill...

Well done, a fun read.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post